Author Topic: problem with yamaha psr e353  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Omar Pianist

problem with yamaha psr e353
« on: June 17, 2017, 10:25:12 AM »
  Hi guys i have an urgent question of a problem that i have .
I bought a yamaha psr e353 and when i connected to pc every thing was ok , i connected to synthesia and work fine without any issues but when i connected to musicsoft downloader
Wouldn't read or work to download new styles and show this message (connection check)
Please help me .. 
Do i have to press any button in keyboard
What should i do ?

Offline SeaGtGruff

Re: problem with yamaha psr e353
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 10:51:44 AM »
Did you install the USB-MIDI driver? I believe the PSR-E353 is supposed to be MIDI class-compliant, so you should be able to use it with a computer without having to install the USB-MIDI driver. However, installing the driver shouldn't hurt-- unless you install the wrong version-- and it's possible that Yamaha Musicsoft Downloader needs the driver to be installed.

I haven't used Yamaha Musicsoft Downloader in a while, so I'll go try the program with my PSR-E443 to refresh my memory. In the meantime, if you never installed the driver, you should do so now.

EDIT: Well, I've been able to successfully use the program before, but when I just tried it I got the same results as you. I haven't tried using it since long before the last big Windows 10 update a week or two ago, so the only thing that comes to mind is that it could be some sort of issue related to a recent Windows update. In any case, it looks like it isn't just you! I'll investigate it to see if I can get things working again, then I'll get back to you later.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 11:27:46 AM by SeaGtGruff »
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 01:58:38 PM »
Okay, that was weird. :)

I made a note that I was using version 5.7.2 of the Musicsoft Downloader (it shows the version number on the splash screen when the program is starting up), so I went to the USA.Yamaha.com website to see if a newer version was available.

The USA.Yamaha.com website has recently changed its presentation style to match the style that Yamaha's other localized websites had been changed to. I'm not a fan of the new presentation style (yet; my opinions have been known to change), because before I could just go to Support | Downloads, enter whatever keyboard model I was interested in, and get all the documents, drivers, and other software pertinent to that model. Now the navigation has completely changed, and when I finally get to the page where I can specify the model, I enter my newest model (PSR-E443) and get "no results"! I can only hope that this will be remedied soon.

So I went to the product page for the PSR-E353, went to the support tab, and saw that I'm still using the latest USB-MIDI driver for my OS (last updated in 2015), but the Musicsoft Downloader program was just updated to version 5.7.3 last month. I uninstalled version 5.7.2, installed version 5.7.3, and tried again, only to get the same results. (And the update notes about version 5.7.3 don't mention anything about bug fixes, so I don't think it was the version.)

Fortunately, I did figure out what was causing the problem, and got it working again. Unfortunately, I can't mess it up again, so I can't make it display the popup window where I had to fix it. The following is from memory, so I hope it's close enough for you to follow along.

Click the Connection Check button at the bottom of the window. When it comes up with the popup window that says it can't connect, click the button on the popup window that says Connection Check. It should then take you to another display where it show the MIDI In device(s) on the left and the MIDI Out device(s) on the right-- or you might need to click another button or two to get there. Anyway, on that screen it showed Digital Keyboard-1 as my only MIDI In device (which was correct) and had it selected-- but it showed four different MIDI Out devices, and the one that was selected was (if I remember correctly) the CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth that I use as an alternative to the Microsoft Wavetable Synth. In your case it might be something else (like the MS Wavetable Synth). All I did was click on the entry for Digital Keyboard-1 to select it as my MIDI Out device, then click on the Test button (whatever its exact label is). The result came back as OK, and when I closed the popup window the program was able to show me the contents of my keyboard's memory. :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 02:00:35 PM by SeaGtGruff »
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline Omar Pianist

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 03:11:08 PM »
SeaGtGruff you are the Best
Problem solved like magic
Thanx indeed for your time & effort
Sir , God bless you ..
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 04:37:37 PM by Omar Pianist »

Offline SeaGtGruff