Author Topic: New to me Tyros 1  (Read 2181 times)

Offline olestokie

New to me Tyros 1
« on: June 11, 2017, 07:38:50 AM »
Hi, finally got round to getting a better keyboard than my PSR400. ( had a hand injury that stopped me playing for many years) but I have hit a couple of problems. Bought this as my keyboard instructor has one of these, as well as a 5 ( which i could not afford  :( )
First off, does anyone have any software for Windows 10 that I can use to connect to the keyboard?
Second, the OS on the keyboard is 1.0. so no access to the USB connectivity to the HDD, which i believe was a part of the 1.2 update ( which I assume must have had to be loaded through the FDD), but i cannot find this, only the 1.4 update which has to be loaded through the USB - Catch 22 here.
Many of the links in the various threads below have expired - to be expected - and i do appreciate that this is an old keyboard but can anyone help.
Be great to hear from other users of this fantastic bit kit.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 07:56:40 AM by olestokie »

Online tyrosaurus

Re: New to me Tyros 1
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 08:52:05 AM »
According to the installation PDF included in the Ver. 1.4 download package, the update is carried out from your computer, via one of it's USB ports connected to the keyboard's USB type B socket on the rear, using a USB A-B (printer) type cable.  However you must have a Yamaha USB MIDI Driver installed on the computer.

This connection was available even with the original Ver 1.10 firmware, so I can't see why it wouldn't work for this upgrade.  You don't need HDD USB Storage Mode to already be functional for it.

Yamaha firmware upgrades usually contain anything included in previous update versions, so you should be able to go directly from Ver. 1.10 to 1.4 without bothering with Ver. 1.20

Forget about the hard disk for the moment and see if you can get the computer and Tyros communicating via USB.  If this is successful you should then be able to carry out the firmware update.

If you want to be sure about this, why not contact your local Yamaha Technical Support.

Regards

Ian

Offline Craig Schiller

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 08:54:59 AM »
The driver should be available from the Yamaha site.

Offline olestokie

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 01:57:25 PM »
Took an age to locate - thanks Google ! - so for anyone else :-
http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/downloads/firmware_software/mididrivers/

Apparently the USB MIDI driver installed  ok when connected to the T1.Problem. The update software cannot find the usb driver !!
Have installed it - checked out the list of USB devices and there was one with a MS driver - uninstalled, rebooted (pc and T1) still no Yamaha driver listed !
Ian
You mentioned that this was available in V1.1. How about 1.0 as that is what is on the T1 currently.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 02:33:34 PM by olestokie »

Online tyrosaurus

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 03:28:03 PM »
OK, I meant that the USB connection to a computer was available with the first version of the firmware on the Tyros, which you have now confirmed was Ver. 1.00 rather that 1.10!  Apologies for any confusion that this may have caused!

You said  ''Apparently the USB MIDI driver installed  ok when connected to the T1".

The MIDI driver does not install automatically!  You have to initiate the installation yourself.  Have you confirmed that a suitable driver is installed by trying a suitable MIDI program which allows you to select the MIDI input/output when connected to the keyboard?

Can you see and select the Tyros as the MIDI input/output?  It will probably appear as 'Yamaha MIDI 0-1' or similar, or if you have installed one of the latest Yamaha MIDI drivers, 'Digital Workstation 1', or similar rather than 'Tyros'   Which version of the Yamaha USB MIDI driver is installed?

I think that I saw somewhere that MIDI driver version 1.61 was required, but I think that any version higher than this should work.

In addition to the 'installation_os_upgrade_usb' PDF fie, there is a 'troubleshooting guide' in the 'Readme.txt' file included in the firmware download package.  Have you referred to this?

I have no idea what the image attached to your last post is supposed to show! It seems to have nothing to do with this problem!   ???

Regards

Ian

« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 03:31:53 PM by tyrosaurus »

Online EileenL

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 05:24:27 AM »
I remember well that doing an update for Tyros 1 required you to have five clean floppy disks to download onto. They then had to go into the Tyros in the right order. The keyboard told you when to load the next one.

Offline Craig Schiller

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 05:01:35 AM »
That sounds like a Tyros without a hard drive.

Online EileenL

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 06:07:58 AM »
Having a hard drive made no difference to the way you had to update.

Offline olestokie

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 04:29:39 AM »
Sorry I've been away . Ian thanks for the help - the image previously uploaded was the result of WinRar getting in on the act rather than Winzip ! So managed to sort that out and I now have the files available. The attached images show that the driver (V3.1.4) is installed and the send note indeed plays a note on the keyboard.
however when the upgrade program is run I get the cannot open error, and no matter what ports i select through the MIDI port button, no joy ! just a constant Not Responding.
Could this be an incompatibility with the V3 driver or between the 1.10 installer and W10 ?

Online tyrosaurus

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 10:10:17 AM »
I don't have any experience with Widows10, so I can't advise you about this.

The fact that you can send the 'All Notes On' to the keyboard suggests that the driver is communicating with the Tyros.  This might point to the Firmware Installer program as to the cause of the problem!  :-\ 

I see that at this link to the firmware download... https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/45030_en.html , it says that the system requirements for the upgrade are...

System Requirements:* Windows 98/98SE/98ME/2000/XP* USB connection to instrument* Yamaha USB-MIDI driver Version 1.61* 166 MHz or higher Intel Pentium/Celeron processor* 128 MB or more available memory

I don't know if that has anything to do with your problem.  If you know anyone with a PC running say, a 32 bit version of Win7 or earlier, you could perhaps load the 32 bit version of the USB Driver and see if you can get that to work.

Failing that I think that I would suggest contacting your local Yamaha Customer Support operation to see what they have to say.

Regards

Ian

Online EileenL

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 04:03:41 AM »
If you are talking about updating the operating system then drivers etc. do not come into it. You have to download the five files and then load them into the keyboard in order.
  Are you having problems with the keyboard. If not then why update if it is working for you. You must remember that this keyboard is around 14 years old and things have moved on a lot since then in the way we now do things.
  As far as I remember there were no USB ports on Tyros 1 but you could connect to a computer via a printer type cable. I tried to do it this way and it completely wiped the OS system of so had to go back to Yamaha to be re loaded. From then on I used the Floppy disk method.

Online tyrosaurus

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 08:34:22 AM »
If you are talking about updating the operating system then drivers etc. do not come into it. You have to download the five files and then load them into the keyboard in order.

Hi Eileen,

The only firmware update for the Tyros (Tyros1) that seems to be currently available on Yamaha's website is 'Tyros Version 1.40 via USB'.   The download for this contains a 'setup.exe' file which when run, sets up an installer program on the computer.  When this installer is run, it will attempt to install the OS update to the keyboard via a USB connection to the keyboard's USB port (type B) on the rear.  To do this, the first thing that it will do is to attempt to establish a connection to the keyboard using the Yamaha USB MIDI Driver which must be loaded on the computer!  In fact the very first instruction in the PDF 'Installation Procedure' included in the download says:

"To start: Make sure that Yamaha USB-MIDI driver Version 1.61 has been installed to the computer."

This version of the OS update is not compatible with the floppy drive, although I suspect that it does not add any extra functionality to the 'floppy' version 1.20 which used to be available.  It is the so called 'USB-Storage Mode', which allows the keyboard's HDD to be mounted and managed on a computer via a USB connection, that the OP is wanting to have available and this requires firmware version 1.20 or 1.40 to be installed.

If the OP's Tyros floppy drive is still working,  perhaps someone still has the version 1.20 upgrade files, which they could send to him/her.

Regards

Ian

Offline olestokie

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 01:24:30 PM »
Ted, Many thanks.
I can send a note and it will play indicating the midi driver is installed. The laptop only has USB 3 ports but it does seem to work for the MIDI.
The reason I want the upgrade is to enable the HDD access mode for backup and to transfer files as my computers do not have a FDD.
I am aware of the issues with drivers etc, once installed I am not re-loading it.
I must admit, I had not considered the possibility of the updater being a 16 bit program - so I am now on the hunt for an older laptop.
As for the lack of resource, that could be the exact problem as I am having - a lack of old equipment on which to undertake the upgrade :-(
An advanced question. I have the ability to remove the HDD and attach it externally to my PC. Does anyone know of a way to store the update file ( tyros.uxs) onto the HDD (where ) and apply it (how) from there ?

Offline olestokie

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 10:56:01 AM »
OK Sorted !.
From this site http://www.robbys-hp.de/RM_Tyros.html  ( which translated well) downloaded the zip containing images for 15 floppy disks. Took an age but now upgraded to 1.4
Thanks everyone for your help.