Author Topic: Tyros 4 expansion  (Read 1179 times)

Offline garycole66

Tyros 4 expansion
« on: May 26, 2017, 04:10:28 AM »
Can anyone help please, I have purchased a 1 gig mutec expansion module, so I can install TTT samples eg wurlitzer,  and  klaus samples. After the format I loaded the klaus samples and it said not all files could be loaded. After installation half the samples were not there, I reformatted and tried the wurlitzer samples after 20 mins loading, there was only a 3rd of the samples saved.
So I decided to format and load samples individually the most I could save was 9 samples the 10th said no room left on disk.
I did properties which revealed it had only used 128mb of the 1 gig.
I rang yamaha support who vertualy  said I had done the correct procedure and continued to say it could be a faulty board. I have now purchased a new board installed and it's doing the exact same. Can any one comment .  Any thanks Gary.

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: Tyros 4 expansion
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 05:46:43 AM »
Hi Gary,

I suspect that your problem is with your User drive on the keyboard rather than the expansion module!

Each expansion voice that you load requires a small amount of space on the User drive, and if there is not enough empty space on the drive, you will get the error message that you describe.  The User drive on a T4 is only around 6 MB, so it soon gets filled up if you are in the habit of saving to it regularly.

You should check the space on the User drive by opening any file selection screen (Style for example), tab to 'USER', if necessary press 'VIEW' (upper 7 button) to change the view to a continuous list, then press 'PROPERTY' (F button).   A window will open showing the total space as 'ALL SIZE' (5.95 MBytes on my T4), and the remaining space as 'FREE AREA'.   If the drive is almost full, you will need to create some space on it by transferring (copy & paste) files to the huge (250 GB or more) internal Hard Drive, or by deleting them.

Then delete from the Custom Voice table any of the expansion voices that you have managed to load (you can either leave the wave samples on the expansion board - the system won't bother loading these again, only waves used by voices that are not already on the board will be loaded, or you can simply reformat the expansion board and start from scratch, but either way you will still need to delete any voices from the Custom Voice table before trying to load them again).  Then load all the voices using a 'Library Load'.  This will ensure that they are all loaded into the correct 'slots' in the Custom Voice bank. 

I'm very disappointed (but not surprised, from my experience of them!), that the so called 'experts' at Yamaha did not suggest this for you to try, since it has caught out people before!

Post back if you try this but it does not help.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 06:14:45 AM by tyrosaurus »

Offline garycole66

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 10:08:07 AM »
Thank you Ian I will try that and let you know if it works.
Regards gary

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 08:00:09 AM »
Have you purchased these samples direct from Reg at TTT. I know some of the very first ones were not saved in a library and he marked them with the numbers of the slots to load them into. This was so that one pack would not over right the other.
   Do remember that when you delete voices from the 128 section you are only deleting the name. You then have to go and delete the actual elements used by this voice to free the space on the memory.

Offline garycole66

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 03:16:24 PM »
Yes they are, no I didn't know what happens on deletion.  Once I have emptied my user section of the important stuff I will wipe it and try again

Offline garycole66

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 05:38:11 AM »
Hi ian
Its took me a while to go through my user section saving to the hard drive and deleting everything.
Once the user section was empty you were quite right the samples loaded onto the expansion board with no trouble.
Thank you for the knowledge
Very kind regards
Gary.