Author Topic: PSR 420/320 MIDI Out  (Read 762 times)

Offline jumbojack40

PSR 420/320 MIDI Out
« on: March 13, 2017, 02:14:52 PM »
Hi all, I was just wondering if anybody knew how to put the Yamaha PSR 420/320 Keyboard in to MIDI out mode. The directions in the manual aren't very clear. Thanks!

Offline SeaGtGruff

Re: PSR 420/320 MIDI Out
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 03:37:33 PM »
There is no specific MIDI Out setting to turn on MIDI output. Rather, there are three separate functions-- Keyboard Out, Song Out, and Accompaniment Out (see page 58 of the Owner's Manual) which control whether the keyboard will output MIDI data.

The Keyboard Out function has a default setting of On, but you can turn it Off if you don't want the keyboard to output MIDI messages while you're playing. Note that this setting is just for the three parts that you play yourself-- the Main Voice (a.k.a. Right 1), Dual Voice (a.k.a. Right 2), and Split Voice (a.k.a. Left).

The Song Out function has a default setting of Off. It controls whether song data played back over the keyboard's four Melody tracks will be transmitted via MIDI.

The Accompaniment Out function has a default setting of Off. It controls whether style data played back over the keyboard's eight Style tracks will be transmitted via MIDI.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline jumbojack40

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 12:58:48 PM »
Thanks for the detailed response, im still not sure how to use it as a midi keyboard unfortunately. what do i need to set each of the 3 functions to?
Ryan

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 06:18:57 PM »
I'm sorry, I didn't see your response until just now! :(

If you want to use the keyboard as a MIDI controller, then you'll need to have the "Keyboard Out" function set to "On." You shouldn't need to have the other two turned on, but it wouldn't hurt to do so.

The "Main" or "Right 1" voice should be output on MIDI channel 1, so you'll want to set your other device or software to receive on channel 1.

Which model do you have, the PSR-320 or PSR-420? But more importantly, what MIDI equipment or software are you wanting to use it with?
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443