Author Topic: microphone with PSR s900  (Read 2602 times)

Offline neil1954

microphone with PSR s900
« on: January 18, 2017, 07:53:01 AM »
Hi,

I am getting a mic for my keyboard but don't know what jack size is needed - or what mic to buy ( in UK and under 50 ). Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Matrix

Re: microphone with PSR s900
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 08:20:08 AM »
You can download a FREE manual for your keyboard here, i am sure you will find the info you require in it. https://www.manualslib.com/download/196921/Yamaha-Psr-S700.html

Matrix

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 08:47:06 AM »
The Jack size will be 1/4 inch, and this is pretty much standard on most mics. Best to go to a store that supplies dj, recording, type gear and ask thief recommendation. Pretty much every city has one nowadays and in the uk you are never far from a city! Fifty pounds is quite low, but there are some low end Shures which are even less than this, and for home or small venue use perfectly fine. The very popular shure SM58 costs a little bit more than this, maybe about eighty pounds, but is used by a lot of pros, and is pretty reliable and robust. The gurus will probably tell you that these are not great microphones, but I don't think you are  shopping for the ultimate pro or studio mic.
Mike

Offline DonM

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 08:51:38 AM »
The best low-cost mic I've found is Samson Q series.  The Q8 is the latest, but you can still find some Q7s on sale.  Both are excellent and in my opinion far better than the SM58. 
DonM

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 09:38:31 AM »
Neil - you can buy the Samsun Don recommends in the UK (try Amazon) and it is a well priced mic that should meet your budget. I have never tried one, but if Don says it's good then it's good!
Mike

Offline neil1954

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 10:29:48 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the helpful advice.

Neil

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 11:42:07 AM »
The mic jack on the PSR-S900 is 1/4" and most mics that are of a 'professional' quality will have an XLR 'balanced' connection on the body of the mic and do not usually include the cable.  Unfortunately Yamaha didn't document in the owners manual whether the jack on the PSR -S900 is 'balanced' (TRS type plug) or 'unbalanced' (TS type plug) or what the input impedance is. The service manual schematic shows an unbalanced jack that accepts a mic with an impedance of 150- 600 ohms. Most 'professional' quality mics will fall into this impedance range.
The cable used will need to be one that is an XLR-F(female) to 1/4" TS(tip-sleeve). I believe this cable would work fine...... https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-PXF-105-XLR3F-Unbalanced-Interconnect/dp/B000068NYN?th=1

Offline neil1954

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 02:00:57 AM »
Thanks for the advice. If the one I've ordered isn't correct, I'll know what to replace it with!!

Offline neil1954

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 05:28:30 AM »
Hi All,

I  purchased a Samson Q7 Supercardioid Neodymium Dynamic Handheld Microphone and a 3M METRE XLR FEMALE TO 6.35mm 6.33MM 1/4 JACK LEAD Microphone Mic Mono Cable. I followed the set up instructions but couldn't get any sound out of it. The little "mic" button doesn't light up when I press it but it does go to the mic menus.  Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

Online tyrosaurus

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 06:15:00 AM »
Hi Neil,

First of all make sure that the 'LINE/MIC' switch on the rear of the keyboard is set to 'MIC'.

The LED set in the MIC SETTING/VOCAL HARMONY button is a signal level indicator which should indicate when a signal is being received, when you are talking or singing for example.  It should not light if you are not vocalising into the mic.

To set the level to suit the way that you will be using the mic., you should sing into the microphone to provide the signal, and adjust the  'INPUT VOLUME' control on the back of the keyboard, next to the MIC input socket, so that the the LED in the button is green. 

If it turns red, you should lower the level slightly to bring it back to green, although the occasional brief red flash is probably OK. 

If the sound from the mic is distorted (and you are sure that it is not your singing that is at fault!  ::) ) turn the level down a little, even if the LED is only showing green.

Regards

Ian

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 06:18:07 AM »
- Ensure that the switch next to the 'MIC/LINE IN' jack is set to 'MIC' and not 'LINE'.
- The 'INPUT VOLUME' knob sets the amount of signal going into the PSR and may need to be turned towards 'MAX' to get some signal.
-  The light in the 'mic' button will light when the PSR 'hears' adequate signal from the mic. Lighting green indicates a 'clean' signal is detected. If the light turns red the 'INPUT VOLUME' may be set too high or the audio into the microphone is too much. If the light goes into the red the audio may have distortion.

Ian types faster than I do :)

Offline neil1954

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 07:12:49 AM »
Sorry to say non of that works. I have the switch set to mic (not line) and talked/sang into the mic while adjusting the little volume knob next to the mic jack but the green light doesn't show (and I get no sound from the mic). Any other ideas?

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 08:21:49 AM »
Hi Neil,

I copied your description for the cable and found this one on eBay>> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-METRE-XLR-FEMALE-TO-1-4-6-35mm-6-33MM-JACK-LEAD-Mic-Microphone-Patch-Cable-/270854168273
I'm guessing this is what you have.

One thing I'm not sure of is the description of the cable provided by the eBay seller, "A Very High Quality Professional XLR plug to 6.35mm 1/4" mono jack plug lead ideal for unbalanced microphone and line level signal transmission." Your Q7 microphone is 'balanced' by design. The HOSA cable I linked previously would convert, for a lack of better wording, the balanced connection of the microphone to an unbalanced connection to the PSR.  I'm not sure the cable you have would do the same if somehow wired for an unbalanced XLR microphone. Not even sure I've come across an unbalanced microphone with an XLR connector.
It very well could be something other than the cable, such as a setting in the PSR.

I did try a microphone with my PSR and the MIC button did not need to be pushed to hear the mic. It only appears to bring up the microphone menu on the display.

Do you have any instrument/patch cables with 1/4" plugs on each end? If so, plug one end into the PSR and touch your finger to the tip of the other end (with the INPUT VOLUME set low to start). If the MIC input to the PSR is working properly you should hear a hum from the speakers or headphones as you bring the INPUT VOLUME up. Hearing a hum will tell you the PSR is doing what it is supposed to.

Online tyrosaurus

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 08:40:22 AM »
Hi Neil,

I have just seen MarkF's latest reply and I think that you need to use an unbalanced cable, which should have it's conductors correctly wired to feed a balanced mic output into an unbalanced input.  This sounds like what you have purchased.   I have exactly the same Q7 mic with an unbalanced cable (albeit with an XLR plug at each end) and it works fine with my Tyros4 (although it does nothing to improve my singing voice!)   :-[  .    Edit:  actually I have since checked the mic cable that I use, and it is in fact balanced! However I think that the S900's input is unbalanced.

I can't think of any other setting on the keyboard that you would need to make to get the signal from the keyboard mic. socket to it's internal preamplifier stage, so I would suggest that the next thing to do is to try and see if you can work out which of the mic., lead and keyboard input is the source of the problem.

Is the XLR plug on the end of the cable, pushed right into the socket on the mic. so that it 'clicks' into place?  If you can remove the plug from the mic. without pushing the locking button on the plug, then it is not fully inserted.

Do you have any access to any other equipment that you can plug it into to try it (an amplifier or mixer for example)?

Did you purchase the mic. and or cable from a local dealer or online?  If a local dealer, then they should be able to check the mic with your lead.

Would you be able to check the cable for continuity?

It would be worth checking the keyboard. I suspect that you haven't used the mic socket and input switch much, so try moving the switch through the two positions a few times to see if that action cleans the switch contacts. 

Presumably you haven't got another mic to try it with, but you could carefully try inputting an audio signal (from a personal mp3 player for example or a hi fi or even a computer) into the mic/line input socket, with the switch set to 'Line'. You will probably need a 1/8 to 1/4 inch adaptor for this.  Start with the input level turned right down and slowly adjust it up.  I'm not sure whether the signal LED works with the input set to 'Line' -  I suspect not, but you should be able to hear the audio through the speakers of the keyboard.

If this works, then stop the audio and turn the input level control fully down.  Now change the keyboard input switch from 'Mic' to 'Line', start the audio source and very slowly increase the level on the keyboard while watching the signal level LED.  I wouldn't turn the level up very much - if the signal is getting to the mic. preamplifier stage in the keyboard you should see the LED light at a very low level.   There will be an impedance mismatch and the level of the signal will be too high for the mic. input, but you should at least be able to see if signals from the mic. socket are getting through to the relevant stage of the keyboard which would point ot the problem being with the mic or the cable.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:59:07 AM by tyrosaurus »

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 10:19:03 AM »
Ian, Your Tyros 4 has a 'balanced' input on both the XLR and the 1/4" jack according to the schematic,  as does the connection on your mic. Your XLR to XLR provides a balanced connection between the mic and the T4. The cable Neil needs changes the balanced connection of the mic to one that is unbalanced, usually done by bridging pins 1(gnd) & 3(signal low) either at the XLR or at the 1/4" TS plug. Pin 2(signal high) of the XLR goes to the tip connection of the 1/4" plug. The cable Neil presently has may be the correct one, but the way the eBay seller worded the description as ideally "for an 'unbalanced' microphone" versus an 'unbalanced' input, makes me question how the cable is wired and if it will properly connect the mic and PSR input.

Just saw your edit......

The cable needs to be wired as shown below to go from balanced XLR to unbalanced 1/4"

Offline neil1954

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2017, 10:42:56 AM »
I purchased the mic and lead online. Here is the sellers description." A XLR plug to 6.35mm 1/4" mono jack plug lead ideal for unbalanced microphone and line level signal transmission. The Cable is Shielded and made with Pure Copper OFC and comes with Strain Relief. This cable is RoHS Compliant for the Highest Material Standards in the EU

Main Features

6.35mm Mono Female to XLR Plug
3 Metre Long
ROHS Compliant

Does this sound like the wrong cable?  If so can someone please recommend a different one for using with the Q7.

I tried to get the one recommended and it was sold out (except shipped from the US).  I haven't got anything else to test it with but I can probably check continuity - but it is a new cable so I doubt if that is the problem.

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 11:25:32 AM »
Neil,
If you have a 1/4" to 1/4" cable, plug one end into the PSR's MIC jack and touch the tip of the 1/4" plug on the other end with your finger. You should hear a hum from the speakers or headphones with the MIC VOLUME turned up a bit.

Alternately if you don't have a 1/4" to 1/4" cable noted above, plug the 1/4" end of the cable you purchased into the PSR. With a paperclip or similar metal probe, touch the inside pin connections on the XLR plug on the other end of the XLR to 1/4" cable you have (there is no risk of shock doing this). Either one or two of the connections when touched with the paperclip should give a hum. If the cable is wired correctly for your microphone it should be just one pin connection in the XLR connector and if you can read the number next to the pin connection it likely will be "2". If you get hum we'll be fairly sure your PSR microphone input is OK and possibly the cable is the correct one.
As Ian had mentioned, be sure the XLR is firmly plugged into the mic all the way.

On the MIC menu screen check that the MIC VOL is set at a value about 90 or so. If at 0 you likely will not hear the mic. There may be another setting, but this one was the most obvious at the moment.

Offline neil1954

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2017, 06:55:31 AM »
I didn't have a 1/4 inch to 1/4 inch jack but I tried the paperclip test and just one of the pins produced a noise, so I guess the cable is ok in itself but not sure if it is correct for the mic or if the mic is faulty or if there is another setting to adjust. Any other ideas?
Thanks,
Neil

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2017, 09:53:33 AM »
Neil,
It does sound like the PSR is doing what it should from at least getting some response checking the way you did.

I think perhaps purchasing another cable might not be a bad idea. It may just be that the seller of the one you do have simply described it poorly, but maybe it does have a problem. An extra cable is always handy to have in the event the one you primarily use becomes questionable and they do occasionally go bad, so a spare can be used to check whether it is a cable problem or not. Probably would be a good idea to buy a cable made by a different manufacturer and a known brand name if possible. Did you purchase the mic and cable from eBay or other retailer/seller? I believe you're an ocean apart from me and I don't know retailers/sellers where you are (except for https://www.thomann.de/gb/index.html that I see occasionally), so I can't suggest somewhere you might look.

It is quite possible the mic could be faulty, but with a cable that's in question it makes it difficult to know for sure. If you have a music store nearby, perhaps they might help and check it out so you would know for sure. I'm assuming the mic was new and not used(?)

Offline neil1954

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 11:02:27 AM »
Thanks, I'll see if I can find a suitable music shop - there must be one somewhere in Croydon!