Author Topic: Attached Midi Keyboard but......  (Read 1252 times)

Offline illllm

Attached Midi Keyboard but......
« on: December 18, 2016, 03:19:50 PM »
I attached an Alesis midi keyboard to the Tyros. I am not able to change the voice form the default piano sound. The tyros plays all the voices, but the Midi coming out from the speakers is the default piano. How do i change this? Not much is given in the user manual on how to do this...

Thanks,

Offline FredrikC

Re: Attached Midi Keyboard but......
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 06:46:07 PM »
I attached an Alesis midi keyboard to the Tyros. I am not able to change the voice form the default piano sound. The tyros plays all the voices, but the Midi coming out from the speakers is the default piano. How do i change this? Not much is given in the user manual on how to do this...

Thanks,

Can we have a bit more detail?

1) Which keyboard did you buy?

2) How did you connect it to the Tyros.  Details, including the type of cord and the name on the socket on each keyboard.

3) What comes out the speakers isn't MIDI but audio.  MIDI is a action description language, with messages like "Key 62 pressed down with a velocity of 75".  (This isn't a question, just a clarification of something you wrote.)

4) Where are you trying to change the sound?  How?  (Actual button presses.)

I know that this is pretty detailed types of questions, but you can get tripped up on the seemingly simple very easy.
Fred

Yamaha: Tyros 5 76, DGX-650, YPT-320, DX-7, SY-99 (last two in attic)
Other: Kronos2 88, Fretted Clavichord, Upright Piano, eMu MPS (also in attic)
RCM Certificates: Advanced Rudiments

Offline illllm

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 04:29:27 AM »
Alesis MIDI keyboard - > MIDI Cable - > Tyros 2, MIDI A

Changing voice on the Tyros 2 because it cannot be changed on the Alesis as its just a controller.

I use the MIDI keyboard with FL Studio on my computer. Any voice I change on the computer in FLS, is reflected when I play it on the Alesis.

However, it appears to not work like this on the Tyros. No matter what voice the Tyros plays, the Alesis always plays default piano.

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 11:05:31 AM »
I believe that the normal default behavior is for the incoming MIDI channel data to be played as separate parts than the keyboard's various parts (i.e., Right 1 and 2 voices, Left voice, etc.), so ideally the MIDI controller should send Bank Select and Program Change messages for whichever voices it wants to use. If those aren't sent, the GM Grand Piano (MSB 0, LSB 0, PGM 0) will be used.

However, I believe the Tyros and PSR-S models give you great flexibility in how the MIDI can be set up, and that you can choose to associate a particular incoming MIDI channel with a given keyboard part, including the ability to choose which types of MIDI messages you want to accept for that part. Thus, you should be able to specify that you do not want to accept Bank Select and Program Change events from the incoming MIDI, such that the Note On/Off events and other Control Change messages coming from the Alesis are used to play the notes, but the voice used is whichever voice you've selected on the Tyros for the keyboard part you've associated the MIDI channel with.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline Joe H

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 11:43:59 AM »
I would just add to the comments already made that the Alesis is not an XG instrument.  So that's why you must turn off any program change messages sent by the Alesis keyboard,  or... create a MIDI Configuration on the Tyros starting with the default All Parts template.  You will see in this setup that the Tyros will receive PC messages.  You can turn this Off (uncheck) and save the configuration by tabbing to the User Drive then save with a new name.

Joe H
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 11:46:44 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline illllm

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 11:56:55 AM »
I found that using MIDI B, the Alesis will pick up all sounds, Fingered functions, chord data etc from the Tyros. Plus, the Alesis will play the sounds assigned by the computer using FLStudio.