Author Topic: Filenames of stylefiles?  (Read 2950 times)

Offline Ricky

Filenames of stylefiles?
« on: June 19, 2016, 06:37:27 AM »
I've extracted my Flash Styles from my PSR9000.
They all got some extension to the filename (a hex number), e.g. "MidnightSwg     B1.sty" or "Party_Pop       A6.sty".

What do these numbers mean? Can I rename the files and just delete the numbers?

Best regards
Ricky

Offline SeaGtGruff

Re: Filenames of stylefiles?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 06:55:29 AM »
I should think so. The filenames don't really matter, although if your keyboard can display only a certain number of characters then you'll want to make sure all the filenames are unique within the displayable number of characters so you can tell the files apart. A lot of style files have groups of four characters such as "S123" in their filenames, which (as I understand it) indicate which icon to use for the style when it's displayed on the keyboard, or something like that. I don't know if the two characters you're seeing are something similar, or if they were simply added by whoever created or converted the styles as a way to help them organize the styles in some way.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline Ricky

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 07:20:11 AM »
Thank you for the answer.

I've also heard something about the filename defining the icons.
But there's no icons on the PSR9000, so this must be for Tyros models.

I also own a Tyros4, and it would be nice if somebody have any documentation on these filename structures.
I haven't been able to find anything.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 07:47:40 AM »
The main thing is do they play alright in the keyboard you are putting them in.

Offline Ricky

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 07:59:42 AM »
For sure it's most important that they play well. And they do. No problems.
I'm just curious and sometimes wanna explore more advanced features of my instruments.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 08:03:30 AM »
Ricky,

When you rename the styles on your T4, you can add an icon to the file name.  Use the Lower #1 button to open the Icon selector.

It's not too complicated.  The file naming convention is simple:  style name(dot)icon number(dot)sty

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Ricky

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 08:17:41 AM »
Thanx Joe.

Yes that's easy.
I guess this applies to all other files as well, Multipads, audiofiles etc?

Are there any lists anywhere showing which numbers correspond to which icon?

Still this is for Tyros. Does the numbers in the PSR9000 styles have a similar function?
It cannot be the icons, but something else?

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 09:21:46 AM »
Hi Ricky,

I don't know of a stand alone list of Yamaha icons, but you can see all of the ones used by your T4 (or any keyboard that uses icons) from the NAME function of the keyboard's OS as explained by Joe H. 

However although you can see and select an icon, it's number is not shown, and the only way to see the number of a particular icon on the keyboard is to select the icon for a file, save it, then open the file selection display in the List mode (using the VIEW button on a T4) from where you can move the cursor over a file and use the PROPERTY button to see it's details, which include the full filename including Icon code and final extension.

This is not very convenient if you just want to 'browse' and find the number of a particular icon!

It is easier to use a computer (PC only) with a program such as Michael Bedesem's 'Midiplayer' which can be downloaded from this link...

http://www.psrtutorial.com/MB/midiplayer.html

Once the program is running, if you select your keyboard model and load any MIDI, style or multi pad, you can use the 'Icons' button to display all the icons.  They are all shown in one list which can be scrolled through, although they are listed with just a simple name rather than their number. However if you click on an icon, it's code number is shown at the top of the list.  You can do this without committing the selected icon to the open file, and can freely select different icons to see their codes without changing the file name.   Of course, you can actually use the program to replace the existing icon in a file if you wish.

Although Michael hasn't updated the program since the PSR-S950 and Tyros4, it should show the T4 icons. If you include an icon code in a filename that a particular keyboard does not support, then when you use that file in the keyboard, the default icon for that file type (style, MIDI, etc) will be displayed.

Even though this does not give you a separate list of icon codes to refer to, it is much simpler than using the keyboard if you simply want to 'browse' through the codes.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 09:27:03 AM by tyrosaurus »

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 09:25:30 AM »
Ricky, I agree that these extra characters probably aren't to specify an icon, since they don't follow the pattern of a period, four characters (a letter followed by three digits), another period, and the "sty" extension. Also, I think it's interesting that they do follow a pattern, but it's based on a fixed-length filename-- i.e., a filename of 16 characters, with trailing spaces if necessary to make the name 16 characters long, then the extra two characters are the 17th and 18th characters. I'm wondering if the PSR-9000 has a 16-character display for the style names? If so, the two extra characters won't show up when the style name is displayed on the LCD screen, but they might be used by some style utility program as a way of organizing or categorizing the styles. You might try looking at some of them in a hex editor, because sometimes a style file will contain MIDI events that indicate the style's filename or a comment indicating which program was used to create it. So if the filename is stored inside the file itself that way but the two extra characters aren't included, that would suggest they've been added to the name after the file was originally created. Or if there's a comment that says which program was used to create the file then that might suggest somewhere further to look for information about the two extra characters.
Michael Rideout

Offline Ricky

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 09:30:42 AM »
Thank you all very much for clearing this up.
I'll have a look at the different options.

Of course it's not at all important for playing music.
Just interesting to see how it works and maybe find some hidden features.

Best regards
Ricky

Offline Joe H

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 01:22:33 PM »
There is an Icon List in Appendix I of the MixMaster manual.

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 04:06:25 PM »
There is an Icon List in Appendix I of the MixMaster manual.

Although page 18 of the MixMaster manual does indeed refer to an Icon list in Appendix I, there is no Appendix I in the manual, and it is also not included in the Table of Contents on pages 2/3.

I had the latest version of MixMaster installed, but to be certain I have just uninstalled the program (complete with manual) and downloaded the latest .msi from http://www.psrtutorial.com/MB/mixMaster.html and installed the program from this.

The manual from this .msi is just the same (date created 13/2/2016)!

Regards

Ian

Online MBedesem

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2016, 05:15:07 PM »
Ian, Joe ,...

Sorry for the confusion.

The list is dated to the T4 (or earlier) instruments and I removed it with a recent update to MixMaster out of concern that it was not current with the later products. Yamaha does not make this information readily available, and I am not aware of any source to update it (if anyone knows, I will be happy to include it again!).

The data that appeared before is attached.

Regards,

Michael

Michael P. Bedesem
mpb@vermontel.net
http://psrtutorial.com/MB/bedesem.html
Tyros 5

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2016, 07:01:05 PM »
Thank you for sharing this-- it's a handy reference to keep on file!
Michael Rideout

Offline Joe H

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2016, 09:48:22 PM »
Michael R,

Keep in mind the Icon List only applies to the T4.  I noticed the Icons for the S970 are mostly different from the S910. 

Joe H

Offline EileenL

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2016, 03:27:58 AM »
These numbers could well have been the OTS settings as in some cases they were separate files.