Author Topic: QY 70 Data Filer Connections  (Read 2938 times)

Offline cyqq

QY 70 Data Filer Connections
« on: February 16, 2016, 12:57:02 PM »
Hi all:  I am new here.  I am trying to connect my old QY 70 with a newer computer so that I can use the included Data Filer software to save my songs.  Question 1 is:  which Windows operating systems does it work flawlessly with - XP?, Vista?, 10?
Question 2 is:  will a simple midi/usb connector such as the one here:   http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USB-IN-OUT-MIDI-Interface-Cable-Converter-PC-to-Music-Keyboard-Cord-FE-/231510788934?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123
work, or do I need something more substantial?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline pjd

Re: QY 70 Data Filer Connections
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 05:39:59 AM »
Hello cyqq --

Welcome to the forum!

I have used the QY-70 Data Filer with Windows XP and 7. I suspect that it will work with Vista, but I skipped Vista.

Windows 10, who knows? I would like the answer to that question myself, since it looks like Micro$oft is going to drag us all kicking and screaming to 10. Data Filer is easy to install and run, so why not give it a try on Vista and 10?

With respect to the MIDI interface you mentioned, who knows? I'm a little bit wary of ultra-cheap MIDI interfaces and am more likely to trust a branded (e.g., M-Audio) interface which has probably been tested to some level. The interface is only $3.26, so you wouldn't be out much money if it didn't work.

Bottom-line, I encourage you to give it all a try! What's the worst that can happen?  ;)

All the best -- pj

P.S. Got your PM.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 07:44:47 AM »
I think some of the cheap interfaces do not support sysex data which would be a problem with a device like the QY70 or an arranger keyboard. 

I use the Yamaha UX-16. It's rock solid.  I was using an old Roland MPU-401 interface and was having problems beta testing MixMaster.  At Michael's suggestion I upgraded to the Yamaha cable and have had no more issues.  $40.00 is not a lot to spend on a good MIDI interface.  You get what you pay for.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline cyqq

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 03:45:31 PM »
Thanks Joe and PJD:  I will get a better one as you recommend.  Just to confirm (I am a novice with these things)  Joe, have you used the UX-16 to connect the QY 70 to your computer?  Same question for you PJD and the M-Audio Uno - have you tried it?  As soon as I pick one up, I will give data filer a try with Vista and 10 and report back.

PS:  I did upgrade from windows 7 to 10.  The upgrade was fairly seamless and windows 10 is faster and pretty slick, but it is still glitchy (in my opinion).  I have stopped using 10's web browser (edge) as my default and switched to firefox.  Bottom line, I would wait a bit longer before I switched over.

Thanks again for the help!

Offline Joe H

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 06:36:23 PM »
cyqq,

I sold my QY70 before I got the Yamaha UX-16 cable.  Make sure you get the right driver for your Windows 10.  I'm currently using a Windows 7 x64 machine with my UX-16 and have several Yamaha sound modules in addition to the S970.  I've never had a problem since I installed it a couple of years ago.     8)

BTW... you can use up to 16 UX-16 cables if you want to create multiple Ports for 32, 48 or 64 MIDI channels when using a DAW.  I'm good with just one cable.  Sixteen channels is enough for me.

:)

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 06:39:51 AM »
Hi cyqq --

Nope, haven't actually tried the M-Audio. All of my MIDI interfaces are quite old -- it's the sort of thing that you buy and use until they die.

The UX-16 recommended by Joe is a good candidate. I wouldn't worry about compatibility with the QY70 as much as compatibility (and drivers) for Windows. 5-pin MIDI is 5-pin MIDI. If there are any issues, it's gonna be Windows.

Yamaha have Win 10 drivers for the UX-16, a good sign. Personally, I like class-compliant interfaces these days. I tend to move things around between Mac, PC and Linux.

All the best, pj

Offline cyqq

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 02:26:30 PM »
Well, thanks again guys.  The local store didn't have a UX-16 in stock, so they directed me to the Roland UM-1 Mark 2.  I have successfully tested it with the data filer on my Vista laptop (my first choice since that is what I will be lugging to my gigs).  So that is great news!  A different question now arises:  even though I only have 9 songs of my own recorded on the QY, its memory is almost 100% full.  Yes, I can just transfer the individual songs to my laptop and delete them from the QY to free up memory for new songs, but is there a different way?  Can I delete the demo songs or included patterns from the QY to do this?  Even if I can, would you recommend it?

Thanks again!  I will test all this on Windows 10 one day...I am currently having a few problems with that computer.

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 06:01:37 AM »
Hi cyqq --

Yep, the QY70 memory space is cramped. There's no easy way around it. It just comes down to saving what needs to be saved, delete to free up space, and do what needs to be done. It's a bummer, but memory really was tight back in '97.  :D

I once considered buying a used QY100 which has a SmartMedia card slot. SmartMedia cards are hard to come by these days. I had a few cards laying around from an old Zoom SampleTrak and a USB SmartMedia reader. I just don't use the old QY enough to justify the purchase. Yamaha were smart to add removable memory.

Good luck with your music -- pj

Offline cyqq

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 01:53:49 PM »
Thanks PJ.  I will get back to you eventually with my report on compatibility with Windows 10.  Cheers!

Offline cyqq

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 06:07:42 PM »
Hi again:  First thing is first.  Thanks again for your replies.   Nothing old works on Windows 10, so I don't think the QY 70 data filer will either.   The Roland UM one mk2 worked fine for awhile, on both Vista laptop and XP desktop, but it suddenly stopped working recently.  I keep getting a warning "Data transfer failed.  Confirm qy70 connections...."  Since it was working only minutes before, I know the connections are good.  I am getting the same error on both computers. The machine isn't transferring the files nor is it allowing control.  Also when this happens, the QY70 display freezes (can't move the cursor) until I shut if off and turn it back on.  I did reload the drivers etc, but that didn't help.  I tried redownloading the datafiler program as well.  No luck.  Then I switched out the Roland UM 1 interface with a m-audio usb uno.  Still no luck.  Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem is?