Author Topic: DGX 650 styles function question  (Read 1998 times)

Offline guitpic1

DGX 650 styles function question
« on: January 04, 2016, 02:14:15 AM »
Anyone tried to add style files to the DGX 650 via USB?

I think SFF1 styles are compatable.  The manual shows using the USB function then load but not much info.

What I'm wondering is if the 650 can access style files on a USB stick similar to the way it's done on a PSR arranger?

Tx

Rog L.

guitpic1

PA 4X, S970, DGX650, JBL Eon One, SSV.3

Offline SeaGtGruff

Re: DGX 650 styles function question
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 02:18:25 AM »
Yes, I believe the DGX-650 can play styles directly from a USB flash drive-- they don't need to be loaded into the keyboard's internal memory.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 10:42:10 AM »
Tx Michael.  I intend to try this again. 

I did put the USB from my Tyros in the DGX650 with no luck.  This USB has the styles from the PSR tutorial drive that I bought.

I'm thinking that I'll have to get a USB drive and format it in the DGX 650. Then I'll have to copy the styles to the USB drive to see if that works.

Thanks for your help Michael.
guitpic1

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 11:35:49 AM »
Hi Rog,

I confirm that the DGX 650 can play style files directly fron an USB stick. Sometimes some styles won't play though, I suppose it has something to do with the file size or with megavoices within the style, etc. Sometimes styles will play but will sound funny. Some of them will sound very nice on the DGX 650.

Best Regards,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 11:47:49 AM »
You might also want to double-check all the file extensions. I think the DGX-650 probably requires the .STY extension, whereas the Tyros probably doesn't. But if none of the styles are showing when you insert the drive, then it probably isn't the extension-- I'm just mentioning it so you'll be aware of it.

On page 28 of the Owner's Manual it says the following:

NOTE
• You can also play the Styles in the instrument’s flash
memory area transferred from a computer (refer to “Computer-
related Operations”—page 9) or loaded from a
USB flash memory (page 76), and Styles on a USB flash
memory connected to the instrument.
These styles are
numbered from 196 upward.

As I read this, there should be an option to load a style file from a USB stick, but if you want to play the style directly from the USB stick then all you need to do is go to the display of the available styles and the ones on the USB stick should be numbered from 196 upward (i.e., you shouldn't have to "do something" to get them to show up).

EDIT: I'm not sure if the DGX-650 prioritizes the "user styles" based on where they're located, but it might list the styles loaded to the internal memory ahead of the styles which are simply sitting on the USB stick.

Also, double-check that the USB stick is confirmed by Yamaha to be compatible with the DGX-650.

Once you get to the point where you're able to play styles directly from the USB stick, I suggest that you keep track of the individual style files that won't play to help you determine whether it's a problem with the file size or something else.

And as always, any styles that weren't created or converted especially for the DGX-650 should be modified as appropriate to get the best results-- i.e., remove or reorganize any style sections so the file conforms with the DGX-650's capabilities, replace any unavailable voices with the best available ones, etc. I suspect that the DGX-650 is limited to the same style sections as the PSR-E443:

00 - Main A
01 - Fill In AA
02 - Fill In AB
03 - Intro A
04 - Ending A
05 - Main B
06 - Fill In BA
07 - Fill In BB
08 - Intro B
09 - Ending B

The numbers are from the Sequencer-Specific Meta-Event messages on the PSR-E433 and PSR-E443, which I assume are the same as those on the DGX-650. I'm not sure whether I've got the 01 and 07 Fill In names right. When I record a user song using a style on the PSR-E433 or PSR-E443, the "Fill A->B" section uses section number 02 and the "Fill B->A" section uses section number 06, but there's no way to trigger sections 01 or 07 from the panel controls, and I don't know whether the keyboard will even respond to them if they're triggered via MIDI. I also don't know how these four Fill In sections correspond to the various Fill In and Break sections used by the PSR-S and Tyros keyboards.

Anyway, you'll undoubtedly want to edit and tweak any style files that you intend to use with the DGX-650.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 12:31:29 PM by SeaGtGruff »
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 12:36:10 AM »
Tx again for your help
guitpic1

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 11:53:57 PM »
Hello Mike and Rog..

I became a new dgx 650 owner just a short while ago and have tried to keep up with the postings for this machine.
As yet have not tried USB styles.   I wonder if the styles that were made for earlier keyboards would do the trick.
Hopefully, can download styles from the Styles Pages, like the psr 2000,  3k etc. and see how those work out.
So far have only been playing on the natural grand piano.. love those hammered action keys.
Perhaps a separate board can be made to accommodate this machine as it is a crossover from the arrangers.   It does have
registrations, recording... tracks,,etc.   
Thanks for taking up issues that will eventually be of interest and concern.   Terrific keyboard.

cheers
elaine
\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes