Author Topic: PSR-8000 -- Is this a good deal?  (Read 2773 times)

Offline SciNote

PSR-8000 -- Is this a good deal?
« on: December 24, 2015, 12:27:58 AM »
Okay, I doubt that I will buy this, but am just curious.  There is a Craig's List pawn shop ad in my area for a PSR-8000 for $220.  Supposedly, it is in good condition.  Actually, they're calling it a "PSR-800", but it sure looks like an 8000 in the ad (I don't even know if there is such a thing as a PSR-800).  So, what do you think?
Bob
Yamaha PSR-E433
Yamaha PSR-520

Offline mikf

Re: PSR-8000 -- Is this a good deal?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 01:36:58 AM »
They probably could not ask for much more and sell it, but if it really is an 8k and really is in good condition I'd say it's a reasonable deal. The 8k was a good keyboard from what I read, although never seen one.
But what does 'good condition' mean? Don't think I have never seen anyone say something they are selling is in bad condition, but usually use words like 'excellent' to signify 'as new'. As always with used equipment its buyer beware, but on the other hand it's not exactly breaking the bank if it turns out less than perfect. With a bit of luck might get a heck of a keyboard for $200. I still have my 3k from similar era and it still plays great.
Mike

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 01:56:16 AM »

Hi,

I should look for a much younger Yamaha arranger keyboard model unless you are a collector.  ;)

The 8000 was a very good pro keyboard ... but much too old for modern Yamaha software ( styles etc. ). 

Good luck !

Jeff 
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline SciNote

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 03:34:14 AM »
Yeah, I'd really have to check it out in person to see if it worked well.  The photo provided looks fine, but you can only tell so much with that.  I'm not too concerned with software compatibility, as I generally just play songs "live", using styles only for the drum beats, or I record original compositions using a multi-track sequencer, and from what I can tell, this keyboard has a built in 16-track sequencer.  Additionally, I like to create my own sounds, and I read that this keyboard has a synthesizer function, as well.  I also like the unique control layout of this keyboard, where the panel controls are on a panel that is angled up toward the player.

It just seems to me that $220 is a very low price for it (of course, assuming that it works properly), as I regularly see keyboards like the PSR-540 and PSR-630 go for more than that on eBay, and those keyboards are from the same general era and quite a bit less advanced than the PSR-8000.

Like I said, I doubt I'll buy it, as I really don't have the money right now, but it sure caught my eye.  I just wanted some input, as I thought I read somewhere that the PSR-8000 was kind of temperamental.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 03:35:36 AM by SciNote »
Bob
Yamaha PSR-E433
Yamaha PSR-520

Offline DonM

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 09:21:18 AM »
My PSR8000 was rock solid, and had many innovative features way ahead of its time.  It had the first usable vocal harmonizer and processor.  It had ability to change Groove with one button, thus creating new styles.  It had ability to arrange factory style locations to suit your preference.
The sounds it had were great for the time, but pale in comparison to the ones we have now.  I played it for several years, then kept it as a backup, and finally sold it to a friend in Mexico, and as far as I know it is still in use!
It has only two style variations, no break/fill.  You couldn't go wrong for that price, if you can live with the limitations.

Offline SciNote

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 12:45:32 AM »
I know this is old, but I figured I'd post this info.  I originally saw this PSR-8000 on Craig's List, and it was being advertised by a pawn shop in the area.  Well, a couple weeks later, I saw a PSR-8000 advertised on Craig's List being advertised by another pawn shop in the same general area, but now, instead of $200, it was now being advertised for $595.  I have no way to be sure, but it seems like the second pawn shop bought it from the first and was trying to make a nice profit on it.  But then, a week or two later, the price in the ad dropped to $495.  If it all works, it seems like that $200 price was a pretty good deal!
Bob
Yamaha PSR-E433
Yamaha PSR-520

Offline Ormly

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 11:31:00 AM »
Just a thought: I bought my 8000 when they first came out. It remains in mint condition except for velcro tape marks on bottom. It is "rock solid". I have it married up with my CHX1 to be a MIDI marriage made in heaven! I believe my 9000 would be even more flexible but haven't tried since I midi married it to my US1. . . )) The US1 amps are "spacious" which makes the experience, thrilling!  Director John Williams [NBC theme] would be impressed with the results! Tyros eat your heart out!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 11:32:48 AM by Ormly »