Author Topic: PSRS970 vs 770  (Read 3918 times)

Offline g7minor

PSRS970 vs 770
« on: October 09, 2015, 09:47:28 AM »
Hi Folks,

I have contacted several dealers close to my place where I could try out the 970 and 770. Seems in Germany small music stores donīt get those instruments at the moment ...  :(

Now, Iīm thinking of ordering one online. However, without trying them out I'm a bit uncertain which one to take. The price difference is big, but if it is only about the Accoustic styles - maybe I can live without them. I have understood from other postings here that all other styles that are available for the 970 could also be installed on the 770.

I would be interested in any experiences concerning limitations of the 770 compared to the 970. Any feedback is very much appreciated. I do not want to wait any longer to order such a nice keyboard - but, it should be the right one.

Regards,
g7minor

Offline Happy Jack

Re: PSRS970 vs 770
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 11:25:57 AM »

Hi, and welcome,

That's a nice dilemma of choice, eh? :-)  Here's my non-expert view as a PSR-S770 user:

*  The S970 is approximately double the price of the s770.  That's a BIG difference! 

*  It is the same keyboard, same build, same quality, but for some extra voices and styles, and the 'live drums' thing, and the larger internal memory and the Vocal Harmony feature. That last one, in my opinion, would be the main reason for anyone needing the S970.   

* Or you could manage Vocal Harmonies externally by using a compact Vocal unit, like the Boss VE-5 or a pedal one, to do a similar job?  But bear in mind, that using an external VH won't allow you to save the VH settings into the PSR-S770's Registrations.

* Could you manage without the Video Out feature?  If you are planning to use a big, external screen to display karaoke lyrics,  then the PSR-S970's Video Out might be essential.

* Could you do okay with the PSR-S770's smaller memory (compared with the S970)?  Or could you also make the most of using the Yamaha Expansion Manager and make your own pack of selected Styles and Voices with no wastage?

* Could you survive without the 'live' drums instead of the MIDI drums?  Can't comment on this, but have tried the 'Band in a Box' package, where ALL the instruments, (not just drums) are live recordings and seems not a big thing to me. 

* Does your intended retailer have some kind of buyer Return arrangement? Do they collect the item at their own expense?  This could be handy should you change your mind and want to upgrade or downgrade from either model?

regards, Jack

Offline g7minor

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 03:10:33 PM »
Hi Jack,

thanks for your response.

Here in Germany itīs 800 Euros price difference, and I really wonder what I get for that extra money.

Here are my thoughts:

* I can live without Vocal Harmony

* Lacking Video Out is no problem

* Smaller memory might be an issue, depending on how much memory is required for an "average size" style ... are there any numbers available ? How many additional styles could be stored on S770 compared to S970? And what about additional voices - how much space do they usually require?

Regards,
g7minor

Offline Happy Jack

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 04:08:33 PM »
Hi Jack,

Here in Germany itīs 800 Euros price difference, and I really wonder what I get for that extra money.

Here are my thoughts:

* Smaller memory might be an issue, depending on how much memory is required for an "average size" style ... are there any numbers available ? How many additional styles could be stored on S770 compared to S970? And what about additional voices - how much space do they usually require?

Regards,
g7minor

Hi again,

Yes, I think these are the installation memory spec's: 

PSR-S950:  64MB       PSR-S770: 160MB       PSR-S970: 512MB

Sorry, but can't say what is the absolute 'maximum'  expansion styles / voices are possible on PSR-S770 as I haven't pushed it that far. (still splashing around at the shallow end of the pool on some things) :-)

Which model you choose, I hope you enjoy your PSR-**** as much as I'm enjoying mine right now. :)   

best regards, Jack

« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 04:12:23 PM by Happy Jack »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 04:13:52 PM »
Extra styles are always best stored on USB stick. I find a 32Gb to be plenty large enough for these plus Audio songs, Midi songs, Registrations etc.
  I have the 970 because I wanted the Flash memory to be large enough to store my favourite sample sounds as well as some Yamaha Packs. The Audio styles are very nice but then so are the normal styles. I shopped around and got a very good price so am well pleased with the keyboard. I also like that I can use my Tyros 5 registrations in it with very little alteration.
  The choice as always is down to you and what you want from it.

Offline Happy Jack

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 02:02:41 AM »
Extra styles are always best stored on USB stick. I find a 32Gb to be plenty large enough for these plus Audio songs, Midi songs, Registrations etc.
  I have the 970 because I wanted the Flash memory to be large enough to store my favourite sample sounds as well as some Yamaha Packs. The Audio styles are very nice but then so are the normal styles. I shopped around and got a very good price so am well pleased with the keyboard. I also like that I can use my Tyros 5 registrations in it with very little alteration.
  The choice as always is down to you and what you want from it.

Thanks, Eileen,

Just adding a little tip if I may, about using a clean USB drive to record USB Audio record songs on the keyboard. This reduces the chances of glitches.

The PSR-S's can handle two installed USB drives (via a hub), and labels them USB 1 and USB 2.

I have my USB hub trailed onto the left side of the instrument for convenience.   My USB 1, is the red one, that I use only for USB Audio recordings, with all the other stuff (as Eileen confirms) on my USB 2.

It is just a common laptop hub in the picture, and the two USB thumb drives called SanDisc Cruzer Blades, which I find work very nicely so far. (touch wood) :-)   

cheers, Jack
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 02:04:30 AM by Happy Jack »

HSL

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 02:36:51 AM »
Hi Jack,

Here are my thoughts:

Regards,
g7minor

S770 is much better value for money than S970.

Think also in these terms: in 2018 there will be the new S780 and S980. As it used to be, the price in € will be roughly the same as the S770 and S970 are today (1000 Vs 1800€), and the S750 and S950 were in 2012. BUT the new S780 will be better than the current S970 (as the S770 is better than the previous S950).
So if you save 800€ now (S770 Vs S970) you can buy with that money in 3 years from now a better arranger that the S970 is today. And I do not think that in these 3 years you will find the S770 is limiting you.

Electronic devices get soon outdated, and top of the range models sell for premium prices not matched by the specs.

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 06:10:18 AM »
I bought me the PSRS770. I am very happy with this kb. :)
For my particular applications the S770 offers me more than enough.

Good luck !

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline g7minor

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 08:16:07 AM »
Thx for all the replies.

Does anyone have a list of all the voices on 770 and on 970? Would also be interested in seeing the differences. From the Yamaha web pages I could only find how many voices each model has, but not the details.

Regards,
g7minor

Offline g7minor

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 08:43:29 AM »
Google now found it for me: itīs called Data List:

http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=ro&site=ro.yamaha.com&asset_id=65172

Sorry, for bothering you ... 

Offline jondav

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 12:03:41 PM »
I went for the 770, in the U.K. the price difference is about Ģ450, dont worry about the fact that it has less voices, you can download plenty of extra ones from the internet, I have already downloaded 179 new ones to a memory stick, plus about 50 more styles, I think most people will find that the extra features on the 970 are not really a must.

Offline Cleverson

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 01:46:38 PM »
Hello all,

I have studied classical piano for years in the past, and recently I bought a digital piano to resume some playing and recordings. I also used to play arranger keyboards, and I've had some of them, e.g. Roland e-86 around 20 years ago. Now I'm thinking of getting another arranger, as sometimes friends ask me to play and sing something mostly for fun, and a recent PSR seems a good deal.

I'm going Probably tomorrow to a store to meet both psr-s770 and 970, and maybe get one of them. To help me decide, I'd like some practical examples regarding memory size for voices expansion in case I need more voices, e.g. what fits in 160 mb, and what else could fit in 512 mb, regarding number and quality of voices?

Seems also that the embeded speakers aren't identical between the two models, is 970 really noticeably better? Maybe the store is too noisy and I can't evaluate.

Thanks in advance,
Cleverson

Offline voodoo

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 01:45:16 AM »
Hi,

I think that S770 is best buy for the money. The older S750 was kind of second class, with black white display. But the S770 has more voices and DSPs even than S950.

S750 < S950 < S770 < S950 < Tyros 5

I buyed S970 because of larger expansion wave rom size. However, in practice, I rarely use this. So the S770 would have done equally for me.

Uli
Yamaha Genos (finally)
Nord Electro 5D

The following users thanked this post: Cleverson

Offline DerekA

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 05:20:18 AM »
I'm going Probably tomorrow to a store to meet both psr-s770 and 970, and maybe get one of them. To help me decide, I'd like some practical examples regarding memory size for voices expansion in case I need more voices, e.g. what fits in 160 mb, and what else could fit in 512 mb, regarding number and quality of voices?
Thanks in advance,
Cleverson

That really is a tricky question to ask. Taking for example the Yamaha expansion packs, there is quite a bit of variation in size between voices - from under 1MB to many MB.

The downside of 770 is that the expansion memory is smaller, which restricts what you can load at any one time. The upside is that the loading time to switch to a different pack is 4 times faster than 970 (because it's smaller). So if you can live with switching between packs when you really need to, then it's not a dealbreaker considering the money you save (assuming you don't need vocal harmony).

I sometimes think Yamaha underpriced the 770, when you see what you get for your money compared to 970, Tyros and even Genos.
S770

Offline Cleverson

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 10:08:03 AM »
So it's easy to unload and load packs in real time? That's a detail I didn't know... My last arranger was Roland e-86, which required too much time since it was based on floppy disks. I know today's keyboards require pen drives which are much faster, but don't know details of operation yet.

Many thanks,

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2017, 10:41:46 AM »
I thought about PSR S 770, but thought, that this could disappoint me after a while.
On the other hand, it has not much advantages compared with my Tyros 2.
I purchased PSR S 970 instead, more memory for YEM sounds, audio drums, the real brush kit, I like very much, much better sounds, Euro Organ drawbars etc.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2017, 02:40:45 PM »
So it's easy to unload and load packs in real time?

Depends on what you mean by real time ... you can have loads of packs available on your USB stick, it takes several minutes to replace a pack. During that time, you can't play the keyboard. If you're at home and can go and make a cup of tea this isn't a problem, but it wouldn't really work on stage if that's what you need.
S770

Offline Cleverson

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 05:25:00 PM »
Ah OK, I thought it was possible to replace packs in a live session...

Can you point me to some good voices and styles' repositories so I can give a look on what's available online for both instruments?

Offline taff967

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2017, 08:16:44 AM »
hiya. I have bought some voices from this place in the uk.. http://www.psr-magic.com and I think they are well worth the money. I have bought the drawbar organ showcase.. and the euro pop organ showcase. you can listen to them they have others aswell. they are in registrations so they are easy to use..