Author Topic: Changing rotary organ speed  (Read 3296 times)

Offline Craig Schiller

Changing rotary organ speed
« on: September 19, 2015, 10:53:36 AM »
Hi all -

Searched for this but couldn't find an answer.

I thought on the rotary organs that the mod wheel could be used to vary the speed of the effect, but it seems to only add a vibrato. Is there some easy way to vary the speed?

TIA.

Offline Craig Schiller

Re: Changing rotary organ speed
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 07:49:51 AM »
Bump.

Anyone?

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 08:42:11 AM »
Hi Craig,
I guess it's sometime ago since many people had a Ty1 -and I have forgotten most of it too!
But I have looked in the Legacy organs on Ty5 for clues and although they are probably not the exact-same ones on Ty1, here goes:

Load the organ in R1. Then go to Voice Editor whatever that was called on Ty1. (Voice Set on later Tyros's). Select the Effect tab and scroll to highlight DSP.
You may see a rotary DSP there that applies to that voice (it will be on and applying the effect if the DSP panel button light is on.) If it is a rotary effect usually the variation setting can be used to vary the speed. So that by pushing the Variation panel button on and off you should hear the speed change. If the variation speed needs altering you can do this by altering the Varation setting at bottom right of the screen. If there is no rotary DSP evident by default, but you nevertheless hear a rotary effect, it is likely the rotary is recorded into the voice's audio sample in which case it is not possible to change it, other than trying to mask it by selecting a Rotary DSP of your own and playing with the Variation settings, but you may not find it satisfactory. 
I know on later Tyros's there are "straight" Legacy Tibias that are not based on recorded rotary. I'm not sure whether Ty1 has similar, but if it did you could take these to create your own organ voices, and add your own DSP and Variation speeds to them.   
Later PS- Also I seem to remember seeing a (church) pipe organ on Ty1 and maybe a few other "normal" organs that the rotary DSP could be applied to and the speed set by Variation.
John
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 09:35:29 AM by jwyvern »

Offline Craig Schiller

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 07:36:01 AM »
Hi John -

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Unfortunately, there is no voice editor built into the T1 - if I remember it was a separate program. Therefore, I have no variation setting to look at or fiddle with, at least not one I can find. I'm almost sure there's a way to do this, but darned if I can figure it out.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 08:29:51 AM »
The DSPs used by both 'Normal' voices and 'Organ Flute' voices can be changed using the 'Sound Creator' function built into the keyboard.

If you select a DSP that switches Rotary Speed with the DSP Variation, then you use the 'DSP Variation' button next to the DSP one in the 'Voice Effect' button group.

You will probably find that the Organ Flute voices already use such a DSP, so you might like to try some of them, making sure that the DSP button is on, and then switching the DSP Variation button on and off  to listen to the difference.

You can also edit the DSPs in the 'Mixing Console (Panel Part)' 'EFFECT' page and the resulting changes can then be memorised in a registration.

You can read about using the Sound Creator to edit what is effectively the Voice Set parameters, starting on page 83 of the Tyros Owner's Manual.

You can read about the 'Mixing Console'  starting on page 134 of the manual.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 08:33:32 AM by tyrosaurus »

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 08:51:20 AM »
Hi John -

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Unfortunately, there is no voice editor built into the T1 - if I remember it was a separate program. Therefore, I have no variation setting to look at or fiddle with, at least not one I can find. I'm almost sure there's a way to do this, but darned if I can figure it out.

Hi Craig, I'm not referring to a stand alone (more complicated) edit program. I mean the editing function that is built in to the Keyboard itself and immediately available. On later Tyros's it is called Voice Set, but I believe on Ty1 it was called something slightly different. I cannot clearly remember, but it looks as though it was called "Sound Creator" as Ian suggests :). In the owner's manual, it appears similar to the onboard "Voice Set" I described, from the pictures - (ignore references to custom voices or PC Editor).

John
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 09:15:39 AM by jwyvern »

Offline Craig Schiller

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 02:43:47 PM »
John and Ian -

I must be just plain dumb. I've tried several organs (including rotary organ and rotary drive), and turning the variation on/off or changing the LFO setting produces absolutely no difference to my ears. This is really a drag. It seems like such a basic thing for a flippin' rotary organ, for heaven's sake.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 04:18:33 PM »
The 'Rotary Organ' and 'Rotary Drive' organ voices that you mention, are preset panel voices in the ORGAN category, rather than ORGAN FLUTE or Organ Flute Preset voices.

If you load one of these two voices, open the Sound Creator and tab to the EFFECT/EQ page, you will be able to see what DSP the voice is currently set to use when the DSP and DSP VARIATION panel buttons are used.

If the DSP Type is not one of the Rotary Speaker types, then using the DSP and VARIATION panel buttons will not produce a Rotary effect, and if the voice has a rotary sound, it was sampled like that and you won't be able to remove it.  On voices like this, if you turn off the DSP panel button, you will still hear the rotary confirming that the effect is not due to the DSP in use.

The Rotary Speaker DSP types available on a Tyros1 are:

ROTARY SP 1 (Rotary Speaker 1)
ROTARY SP 2 (Rotary Speaker 2)
ROTARY SP 3 (Rotary Speaker 3)
ROTARY SP 4 (Rotary Speaker 4)
ROTARY SP 5 (Rotary Speaker 5)
ROTARY SP 6 (Rotary Speaker 6)
ROTARY SP 7 (Rotary Speaker 7)
2WAY ROT SP (2way Rotary Speaker)
DST+ROT SP (Distortion + Rotary Speaker)
DST+2ROT SP (Distortion + 2way Rotary Speaker)
OD+ROT SP (Overdrive + Rotary Speaker)
OD+2ROT SP (Overdrive + 2way Rotary Speaker)
AMP+ROT SP (Amp Simulator + Rotary Speaker)
AMP+2ROT SP (Amp Simulator + 2way Rotary Speaker)
DUAL ROT SP 1 (Dual Rotor Speaker 1)
DUAL ROT SP 2 (Dual Rotor Speaker 2)

Most of the panel voices in the ORGAN category on my Tyros4 for example, use a DSP from the Distortion or Amp. DSP categories, even though many of them have a rotary speaker sound.  The rotary sound is part of the samples used for such voices, and although you can change the DSP that is used from a Distortion type for example to a Rotary Speaker one, you will then superimpose the rotary effect from the DSP over the one in the sample itself!  You may find this sounds acceptable, but to me it sounds horrible!

If you load an 'Organ Flutes' voice (or one of it's presets) instead of a voice from the preset ORGAN category, these will be set by default to use a Rotary Speaker DSP type, and if the DSP panel button is switched on, switching the DSP Variation button should switch the rotary speed.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 04:24:59 PM by tyrosaurus »