Author Topic: Anyone else feeling left behind ? Can't afford an upgrade  (Read 4236 times)

Offline Bertie59

Anyone else feeling left behind ? Can't afford an upgrade
« on: August 17, 2015, 07:18:56 AM »
Hi
I was just wondering  if anyone else is feeling bit left behind now as they, like me , can't afford to upgrade to a newer keyboard ?

The new PSR s770 and 970 sound amazing - I'd really like to upgrade to a 910 or 950 but will have to stick with my now 8yr old PSR s900 -  which really is good enough for my needs but one can dream 'eh !!!
Bertie  :)

Offline SeaGtGruff

Re: Anyone else feeling left behind ? Can't afford an upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 07:19:30 PM »
As a lowly PSR-E443 owner, I know what you mean! Even a PSR-S900 would be a step up for me, but I'd settle for a PSR-S670. ;)
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline Ed B

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 07:37:34 AM »
Hi
Many people use very little of the capabilities provided in the arranger keyboard. By exploiting these and using computer based software you can add some of the technology you do not have at zero cost. ie.
1. Time stretch pitch change - use Audacity
2. Compressor- use Audacity
3. Special guitar filters and more- use Audacity
4. Sounds use sustain pedal with strings harmony echo and create a lusher sound layer a second strings
5. Choir - use your vocal harmony feature and record multi copies and combine in an audio editor
    such as Audacity
6. Modify/ create styles using outboard software.
Arranging the song can do wonders through instrument selection.
Arrange the song to add depth and spatial effect by using volume stereo position and reverb.
There is much more than this that can really create great arrangements no matter which keyboard you own. Yes, its nice to have the latest but you are in my opinion only limited by your imagination.
Perhaps I will add to this later it is a large topic.
Regards
 Ed B

Keep on learning

Offline SciNote

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 12:12:00 AM »
This is definitely true.  It also depends on how you use the keyboard.  I own a PSR-E433, and that works fine with me because I don't need hundreds of styles.  When playing live, I play my own backgrounds (except for the drums), and when multi-track recording, if the 6 tracks onboard the keyboard aren't enough, then I use Audacity to add more tracks.  And the ability to have over 600 sounds available is just amazing to me -- but that could be because I grew up in an era where most polyphonic keyboards that had a variety of sounds cost into the thousands of dollars.
Bob
Yamaha PSR-E433
Yamaha PSR-520

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 11:43:37 AM »
I totally agree about using external computer software for additional voices, effects, etc. I'm of the opinion that you can't push your keyboard to its fullest abilities without using external software. And I wasn't whining about having a PSR-E443, which I love despite it being "just" an "E"ntry-level model.

I was just commiserating with Bertie about the "joys" of sitting on the sidelines and feeling left out while watching everyone else open up the boxes of their brand new PSR-S970s, PSR-S770s, and PSR-S670s; plug them in; turn them on; play around on the keys and fiddle with the knobs, dials, buttons, etc.; and ooh and ah about all of the new features. ;)
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline Afton72

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 04:29:23 PM »

DITTO, fellas. ;) ;D ;D

Alan    PSR1500

Offline aprilla

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 02:14:34 AM »
The S900 is my keeper, I love it and I just want to use it more and better for as long as it lasts.

So far the newer ones haven't given me that wanting feeling but I know what it's like  ;)
S900

Offline Bertie59

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 03:16:52 AM »
Thanks for your posts guys.
Actually I do love my psr s900 too and after posting this thread I felt a wee bit guilty when I sat down to play. So I decided that the grass isn't always greener and taking advice from others in this thread ( thanks especially to you Ed ) embraced my trusty s900 and started to get to know it better.
And now I love it even more and appreciate how lucky I am to have it.

Offline aprilla

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 03:54:12 AM »
That's how I feel actually, lucky.
I do worry about the known issues with the S900 though. Fortunately I haven't had any problem but realise they are there. To this end I have started a secret fund for a replacement if needed, especially as there would probably be no trade-in/sale value. Best to be safe
Love it, yeah, but realistically :)
S900

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 05:03:26 AM »
Keep in mind the S900 is a pro keyboard ! :)

Try XGworks ( = Yamaha sequencing software ) and you will be surprised what your keyboard can do.

Cheers, Jeff

DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 05:37:38 AM »
I started out with a used PSR2000 for 5 years. I played that kb 2 hrs every day learning to play and sing with it. It died just over 10 yrs of age. :'(

So, plan on 2017 and getting a S980. ;D

« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 05:40:24 AM by DrakeM »

Offline Joe W

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 05:45:26 AM »
Remember, the main site has LOTS of lessons that cover features in your Yamaha keyboard, even if it is 10 or more years old!  That's why all those lessons are still up on the site.  If a lucky user discovers the arranger by getting a good buy on a used PSR-3000, he will find all the help he/she needs in those lessons, even though that keyboard was introduced in 2004.
-- Joe Waters
Tyros5
PSR Performer Page

Offline pjd

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 07:44:36 AM »
New toys always have an initial rush, but musically I grow the most through the process of playing, creating new styles, sounds, etc. The process is the most fun.

As Stephen Stills sang, "Love the one you're with." :-)

-- pj

Offline Bertie59

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 01:21:50 PM »
Hmm yes I am aware now that the PSR s900 can have issues especially with the screen - only discovered the issues after I bouggt mine and fiund this board !!

I actually bought it second hand (sadly I can't use the term " pre-loved " because it clearly wasn't - it has what looks like a coffee stain in one speaker, white paint on the other and was generaly grubby) but for all that it still plays well. I have no idea if it's had a replacenent screen or not but each time I turn it on I'm very relieved to see it light up properly !
Yes I bought it from that well known auction site but to be fair it was a good price and it has served me well so far.

I just hope that it keeps going on for at least another few years - not aware of the sequencing software you mentioned Jeff but I'll check it out - thanks for the tip.

Regards

Offline mikf

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 04:10:49 PM »
I have a PSR 3000 and I could afford to upgrade it but don't really feel it matters that much. It's good enough and does not limit me making music in any way. Put your effort into playing it better and worry less about small technology improvements. I can assure you that people listening hear what you play and how well you play it, and don't really care or even notice nearly as much as you whether it is the latest and greatest technology.
Mike

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2015, 12:00:16 AM »
Bertie,

Do not forget to look at all the programs made by our friends Joergen Soerensen and Michael Bedesem !
See : PSR Tutorial : Utilities.

All these progs are free of charge, plug and play and very, very useful.

Enjoy !

Jeff

DAWS MAC & WIN