Author Topic: YAMAHA PSR-S900 LCD FAILURE – TIME TO ACT NOW !  (Read 4547 times)

Offline sniper90

YAMAHA PSR-S900 LCD FAILURE – TIME TO ACT NOW !
« on: August 14, 2015, 10:37:22 AM »
YAMAHA PSR-S900 LCD FAILURE – TIME TO ACT NOW !

I wish to hear from any Yamaha PSR-S900 Arranger Workstation owners who have experienced failures of the LCD.

Yamaha has not succeeded in rectifying this problem and although they have replaced many LCD’s, these so called “updated” LCD’s  continue to fail.
My own instrument has now failed three times in the five years I have owned it, resulting in major down time (once three months for Yamaha to supply another LCD). What is the point in replacing faulty LCD’s with the same thing? This is a full scale professional instrument, not a kids’ keyboard.  I paid over $2,000.00 for an instrument featuring a LCD described in Yamaha’s own words as follows. 

The LCD on keyboards is your connection to the instrument, whether it's selecting a voice, reading sheet music or browsing songs and styles on the Internet; bigger is better and color is better yet — like the 5.7" QVGA display found on the PSR-S900. Color adds a new dimension to the different screens you use to control your music, but is most appreciated on ones with a lot of knobs and faders like the mixing screen. As with your TV or computer screen, after seeing and working with a color screen, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

Talking about “getting along without it” is ironic, since you cannot! The failure of the LCD’s renders the instrument virtually useless. The replacement part # is AAX96380 and the cost through Yamaha is over $400. There are screens available from China from US$135-300 but there is no way of knowing if these screens will also fail.  Similarly there is no guarantee from Yamaha that their replacement screens will not fail.  My two replacement screens from Yamaha have failed already.

As a composer, my work output has had to come to standstill unless I can rent/purchase an instrument to take the place of my S900. Hooking up to an exterior monitor should not be considered as a solution to the problem and I have had little success with this, since I cannot see the screen on my instrument to set up the remote video!

Yamaha needs to publicly acknowledge this problem and give us the product support we deserve. They need to find a reliable replacement LCD once and for all to replace those that have failed. This is the minimum support we should expect from a company of this size and reputation. We paid good money for these instruments and we trusted Yamaha’s quality. We have been completely let down.

Apparently the PSR-S910 and 950 have not experienced the same problems as the S900, so it seems reasonable to expect that a solution is possible.

If I hear from enough dissatisfied S900 owners, I will be prepared to spearhead exploring further action against Yamaha.

If you want to join hands in getting Yamaha to solve this problem once and for all email me immediately at:

yamahafixmylcd@gmail.com

Thanks

“The S900 Samurai”
Let’s get Yamaha to fix this problem NOW!

Offline sniper90

Re: YAMAHA PSR-S900 LCD FAILURE – TIME TO ACT NOW !
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 11:17:27 PM »
Well well.. what a surprise!....Not one person responded to my call to hold Yamaha's feet to the flame over these LCD burnouts ! Must be that everyone got their LCD's fixed or else nobody really cares.

I've never heard a peep from Yamaha and no answer whatsoever as to if a 910 or 950 LCD would work as a replacement.

Anyway I'm pushing on with my claim because without an LCD, this instrument is virtually useless, and although I've figured a temporary work around pressing buttons from sheer memory, I won't be able to sell the 900 in this condition, so I'm out quite a few dollars on an instrument that cost over $2,000.

So thank you anyway to all those who took the time to read my post.

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 11:23:27 PM »
Hi Sniper

Sorry to hear of your problem... so checked out another board here that deals with repairs,, fixes
etc.  and found this post from a psr3000 user.   Seems others have had this problem and maybe
should repost in that section....... Its a bummer when something goes  bananas......   elaine

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,6154.0.html
\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes

Offline antonio salloio

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 12:45:17 AM »
two years ago i was a problema with lcd i ask on ebay and i buy in germany a lcd i input myself on psr s900 and working normal price €280 you must to know  serial and model to do.

Offline sniper90

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 11:15:16 AM »
Thank you, guys (and lady) for your replies.  YAMAHA has come through and I heard an hour ago they will replace my LCD for a third time under warranty.  Needless to say this really does restore my respect and confidence in them, especially as I'm seriously looking at the new S970 which is supposed to come out this month and will be selling/trading in my S900 now that it will have an operating LCD.

In the meantime, with the help of my local Yamaha repair guy (a super feller !) I was able to come up with a work around which may help others whose S900 LCD's have gone dark. 

THE LCD WORKAROUND
I purchased a small AKAI DVD player at about $65.00 from Best Buy (aka Future Shop) equipped with an AV IN plug. I connected the single video (yellow) cable of the AV set which came with the player directly to the video out of the keyboard with .  Only problem so far is you don't have a screeen on the S900 to set up the video out. After reading the manual and going purely by touch, and after a few run through's blind, I did manage to get a picture on the DVD player. However, the bottom bit of the screen info was cut off which was pretty useless.  I then tried switching the NTSC format on the keyboard to PAL..and the picture came in perfectly with all parts visible and clear. It's worked perfectly ever since.

So that's it and I'm still a fan of Yamaha. I have Halion Symphonic and a raft of other sampling software but the voice sampling on my S900 is by far better than any other keyboard I've heard.  The new S970 looks fabulous!

Good luck to you all.

PJ in Victoria BC

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 11:26:38 AM »
PJ,

This is in deed extraordinary for a manufacturer to replace more than a single time a defective component.

Kudos to Yamaha.  :) 8)

Bill G
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

Offline Ed B

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 03:16:36 PM »
Hi PJ
Great that Yamaha is replacing the LCD. I had my LCD replaced over 5 years ago and it has been fine since. At the time I believe it was a different LCD part that was used. The original LCD had problems. Perhaps they continued to put in the old technology and that is why you have had repeated failures. You may want to check this out even tho you will be trading it in. Here in Ontario I have seen no indication yet that the 970/770 is available or even when it may be available.
Regards
Ed B
Keep on learning

Offline sniper90

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 10:44:35 PM »
Hi again, gang...thanks for your replies...here's another work around for the non functioning LCD screen problem.

The previous work around is very adequate, but I've found a less expensive solution than the mini DVD player option.  I recently purchased a gadget on Ebay which switches AV signal into VGA so you can plug it into any monitor with a VGA IN plug. It's listed asa:
TV RCA Composite S-Video AV In To PC Mac VGA Lcd Out Converter Adapter Box . There are many suppliers listing these on Ebay, but I found one in China who seemed to be the least expensive and also offered free shipping. This was found at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281762308111?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT and was US $15.18 which is a cheap alternative to replacing your LCD. Simply locate any old monitor with a VGA plug and away you go.  Actually the smaller the monitor the better.  I found one in the Sally Anne for $10.00.

Anyway, hope this all helps and good luck to you all.

PJ in Victoria BC