Author Topic: What do i need to transfer styles from the computer via usb cable?  (Read 7201 times)

Offline rad herman

Hi i have a yamaha psr 1100 and i dont really know what i need for transfering the styles from the computer to the keyboard and ive tryed using the musicsoft downloader but it says that the connection failed and do i have to do something on the keyboard so the connection is right?. thanks

Offline Fred Smith

Re: What do i need to transfer styles from the computer via usb cable?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 08:14:12 AM »
On most Yamaha keyboards, people use USB storage mode. Power on while holding down the Music Finder button. Then your keyboard looks like a hard drive to your computer.

Hopefully that works on the 1100.

Regards,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 09:36:16 AM »
Hi Rad,

Your PSR-1100 does not have a hard disk so unfortunately Fred's suggestion won't work,

If does not have a USB 'To Device' socket either so you can't use a USB Storage Device like a memory stick with it.

The keyboards contain a floppy disk drive and files can be transferred using this if it is still working.  You are unlikely to have a floppy drive in your computer unless it is very old, but if you can't find any other solution to transferring files, you can get USB Floppy Drives for not too much money, however there is no guarantee that a disk written by such a drive will be readable on the older and probably worn drive in the keyboard.

This leaves direct transfer from computer to the keyboard as the final option.

There are two Yamaha programs for transferring files, the current 'Musicsoft Downloader' and prior to this one called  'File Utility' or something similar.  There is a download in the same web page as the 'USB MIDI Driver'  (see link below) for 'PSR-2100/PSR-1100 Installation Guide' which contains instructions about setting up and using the 'File Utility' program but not the program itself.
Whichever program you try, you probably need to install the Yamaha USB MIDI Driver on your computer if you haven't already done so.  I'm not sure if these two programs really need the driver but it won't hurt to install it and make sure!  You could then try Musicsoft Downloader again to start with.

You can get a copy of the latest USB MIDI Driver from the following link.  Make sure that you get the correct one for your computer OS.  It should work with all Yamaha arranger's...

http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?site=usa.yamaha.com&language=en&category_id1=16277&category_id2=16084&category_id3=&product_id=1040681

The Musicsoft Downloader software opening page has an entry which says:
"To use this function, your instrument has to be compatible with the Musicsoft Downloader software.
Click here to see a list of compatible instruments."

The link is to...   http://www.yamahamusicsoft.com/en/go/musicsoftdownloader   and the PSR1100 (or 2100) is not included in the list, so it may not be compatible, but it is worth a try!

Make sure that you connect the computer and keyboard according to the instructions on page 157 of the 'PSR-2100/1100 Owner's Manual' which you can download from the same web page as the MIDI driver if you need to.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 09:52:20 AM by tyrosaurus »

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 10:43:56 AM »
I have exactly the same problem trying to use my YPT-400 with my computer. In my case the Windows Device Manager shows that a USB device is connected, but it says that no compatible driver is installed. When I try to install the USB-MIDI driver that came with the keyboard, the installation won't run because it's apparently a 16-bit program and I'm using 64-bit Windows.

Are you using Windows?

If so, which version and how many bits-- 32 or 64?

Does the keyboard show up in the Windows Device Manager?

If so, does it say whether or not a compatible driver is installed?

If you're using 32-bit Windows, there's a "16-Bit Application Support" option in the Control Panel that you can turn on to see if it resolves the issue.

If you're using 64-bit Windows, using something like Hyper-V might resolve the issue.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

The following users thanked this post: garbicu

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 12:46:34 PM »
Hi Michael,

Have you tried with the latest relevant 'Yamaha USB MIDI Driver' installed.

There are PC (32 and 64 bit) and MAC versions available and it should work with 'old' Yamaha keyboards.

You can get it from here for example (never mind that the link is to the Tyros4 Asset List - the driver is not supposed to be keyboard  model specific) ...

http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?site=uk.yamaha.com&language=en&category_id1=16277&category_id2=16084&category_id3=&product_id=1072947

The YPT-400 is on the list of keyboards that are compatible with Musicsoft Downloader and if you select it from the list you are directed to a link for version 5.7.2 of the program which is for 32 or 64 bit Win 7...

http://download.yamaha.com/search/detail/?site=usa.yamaha.com&language=en&category_id1=16277&category_id2=16084&product_id=109789&asset_file_language=EN&asset_id=37192

Regards

Ian

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 03:39:38 PM »
Hi, Ian!

Yes, I've already got the newest USB-MIDI driver installed, and it works perfectly with my PSR-E433 and PSR-E443. But when I connect my YPT-400 to my computer, neither the Musicsoft Downloader nor other software (DAWs and MIDI utilities) can "see" the keyboard, and the Device Manager sees it as a USB device that doesn't have a usable driver installed. The driver installation provided on the YPT-400's CD won't run on my computer because it's a 16-bit program, and 64-bit Windows cannot run 16-bit programs-- unless you use something like Hyper-V to run 32-bit Windows as a virtual machine.

Like you, I thought that the latest USB-MIDI driver should work with any Yamaha model, old or new, as long as it had a USB-to-Host port. Whenever anyone posted about having trouble getting an older Yamaha model to work with their computer, I would recommend that they install the latest driver. If they said it didn't work, I would assume that they had bungled the installation procedure somehow. :)

But now that I, too, have an older Yamaha model, and have run into the driver incompatibility issue, I can only surmise (on the basis that the driver installation is a 16-bit program) that the YPT-400 and other older Yamaha models weren't designed to work with 64-bit operating systems running 64-bit drivers. And you can't install the 32-bit version of the driver because both versions come in the same installation package and the installation automatically installs the "correct" version depending on whether you have 32-bit or 64-bit Windows.

If the problem has nothing to do with 16-bit/32-bit/64-bit architecture of hardware and software, then about the only other thing I can think of is that it could be an issue with USB. I've heard of people connecting their MIDI keyboards to an audio interface, then connecting the audio interface to their computer, but their computer couldn't "see" the MIDI device, and it turned out that they were plugging the audio interface into a USB 3.0 port. When they plugged it into a USB 2.0 port instead, the computer could "see" the MIDI device. My computers don't have USB 3.0 ports, and I don't have any USB 3.0 cables, but the YPT-400 Owner's Manual doesn't say anything about what version of USB to use, so for all I know it works with USB 1.0 or 1.1, but not 2.0. That would be pretty odd if it were true, because USB 2.0 came out in 2000 and the YPT-400 came out in 2006, so if there was a problem with using USB 2.0 then I'd expect the Owner's Manual to say something about it.

Thus, I'm inclined to conclude that older Yamaha models originally designed to work with 16-bit USB-MIDI drivers cannot work with 64-bit Windows computers without using some kind of workaround-- e.g., a virtual 32-bit system running on the 64-bit Windows computer.

But if the operating system is 32-bit Windows then perhaps it will work with the keyboard.

I might add that my YPT-400 works beautifully with my iPad 2, presumably because it doesn't require a driver if the application is Core MIDI compliant.
Michael Rideout

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 05:45:16 PM »
Hi Michael,

I must confess that as I was typing my last reply to you I thought 'No - Michael is too savvy for this to be the cause of his problem!'

So I am not surprised to see your reply.

I have a notebook running 32 bit Win 7 Starter and a laptop running 64 bit Win 7 Home Premium.

I have a Tyros4 which works fine with both, but hidden away in a cupboard somewhere is a DGX505 Portable Grand which stems from around 2004.

Out of interest I will dig out the DGX and try connecting it to both computers with their current recent USB MIDI Drivers.

The CD that was supplied with the DGX contained a driver which on looking at it internally seems to be ver. 4.99, and also a copy of Musicsoft Downloader Ver. 5.00.

I must confess that I haven't really used Musicsoft Downloader since even the DGX has a Compact Flash card slot.

However I tried it tonight with my T4  and it connected straight away, but I was surprised on two counts.

First the program could 'see' and manage not only the T4 internal USER drive, but also the internal hard drive and any external USB device connected.  It is obviously able to see all devices connected to the keyboard's internal USB bus.  This could be useful.

However I couldn't find a way of just copying a file between the keyboard and the computer.  I could only get it to move the file from source to location, but maybe I was not doing it correctly!   I suspect that many people would simply want to copy files and not remove them from the source at the same time!  I suppose that you could get around this by copying all the files that you want to transfer to a folder on the computer which would not remove the originals, then you can 'move' everything from here to the keyboard, but it seems a bit of an omission to me if you really can't select a file just to copy without removing the original!

Anyway if I do try the DGX, I'll let you know the outcome.  Of course whatever happens, it won't solve your problem!

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 05:48:47 PM by tyrosaurus »

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 06:00:11 PM »
However I couldn't find a way of just copying a file between the keyboard and the computer.  I could only get it to move the file from source to location, but maybe I was not doing it correctly!

Nope, you were doing it correctly-- MSD doesn't copy, it moves! If you aren't careful, you could buy some SMFs, move them to your keyboard, then clear your keyboard's flash memory and wipe out your purchased SMFs. Fortunately, I believe that YMS does let you redownload your purchases, but if you had purchased from somewhere else that doesn't do that, and you hadn't backed up the SMFs to some other location, you're SOL. So if you use MSD, you should always keep master copies of your SMFs, and then copy the masters to a different folder from which you transfer them to your keyboard. :)
Michael Rideout

Offline s_cristi

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 03:53:04 AM »
Hi Rad,

The Musicsoft Downloader software opening page has an entry which says:
"To use this function, your instrument has to be compatible with the Musicsoft Downloader software.
Click here to see a list of compatible instruments."

The link is to...   http://www.yamahamusicsoft.com/en/go/musicsoftdownloader   and the PSR1100 (or 2100) is not included in the list, so it may not be compatible, but it is worth a try!

The older software used for the PSR 1100 and 2100 was called PSR 'File Utility' and now has been replaced by the MSD (Musicsoft Downloader) wich seems to work only with the newer keyboards.
Reading through the forum I saw that  Bill G and Mel B have the software you need so they can e-mail it to you.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 04:02:36 AM by s_cristi »
Blessed be the Lord God Almighty!
PSR S770  8)

Offline josf.kumar

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 04:22:03 AM »
Hi someone can suggest me as to how to load some of the favourite styles and voices on 2100 through usb host cable with midi driver installed on it. My computer which is windows 10 does note recognize it as a hard disk. Any suggestions please let me know! My floppy drive on the keyboard is working but i dont get any floppy disks any where and also a computer to load the same.
Please suggest me on the usb host cable transfer method in detail. 
Music is sublime !

Offline Fernando Brasil

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 09:44:02 AM »
Hi i have a yamaha psr 1100 and i dont really know what i need for transfering the styles from the computer to the keyboard and ive tryed using the musicsoft downloader but it says that the connection failed and do i have to do something on the keyboard so the connection is right?. thanks

Follow this link in support yamaha for Piano CP300.
The File Utility. It is that you need.

http://download.yamaha.com/search/detail/?site=usa.yamaha.com&language=en&category_id1=16277&category_id2=16365&product_id=105242&asset_file_language=EN&asset_id=52027

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 11:40:56 PM »
I have exactly the same problem trying to use my YPT-400 with my computer. In my case the Windows Device Manager shows that a USB device is connected, but it says that no compatible driver is installed. When I try to install the USB-MIDI driver that came with the keyboard, the installation won't run because it's apparently a 16-bit program and I'm using 64-bit Windows.

I've finally managed to get Yamaha's USB-MIDI driver to recognize my YPT-400! :cool: Basically, I had to uninstall the driver, then reinstall it while the YPT-400 was connected to the computer and turned on. I could have sworn I'd tried that before, so I thought it might have been some kind of bug in the previous version (3.1.3) that was corrected in the newest version (3.1.4, released a couple of months ago to correct compatibility issues with Windows 10). But I tried uninstalling version 3.1.4 and reinstalling version 3.1.3, and now it's working in 3.1.3, too! So I'm a little confused, but happy.

The only thing I need to do is reconnect my PSR-E433 or PSR-E443 to see if they still work-- and if they don't, I guess I'll have to try uninstalling the driver again, then reinstalling it while all three keyboards are connected and turned on.
Michael Rideout