Author Topic: Question about PSR9000 different versions of model.  (Read 6780 times)

Offline Happy Jack

Question about PSR9000 different versions of model.
« on: March 11, 2015, 04:53:11 AM »
 Hi and thanks for looking.

Am about to acquire one of these good ol' boys.   Are the PSR9000 'versions 1, 2, 3' are different keyboards
or have they somehow upgraded by firmware?

thanks

Cosmicsplat

Re: Question about PSR9000 different versions of model.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 07:32:46 AM »
I am pretty sure there was officially only one actual PSR-9000 keyboard. The information you are getting is probably relating to firmware updates as you suspected, though i'm sure somebody else will kindly jump in if i am mistaken here (maybe some of those firmware updates were a big deal?)..

Around the same time as the PSR-9000 was released there was also the Yamaha "9000pro" model which is frequently referred to (mistakenly so i believe) as the "PSR-9000pro". This was the most high ended arranger of the time like the grandfather to the tyros series that begun in the years thereafter.
And I don't think that is part of your question, but just in case, it's worth noting that the 9000pro was a stronger built and vastly more advanced keyboard than the PSR-9000.

PSR-9000 (and 9000pro) are both quite old keyboards released roughly around turn of century or late 90's, yet if the price is good and you can confirm working order, why not i suppose. The PSR-9000 was middle-upper end keyboard itself and i think while not as advanced or strongly built as 9000pro it still held/holds a good reputation.

Perhaps somebody could tell you the rough going rate for the PSR-9000 nowadays on ebay so you can be sure you are getting a reasonable deal.

Cheers, Marc

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 08:08:25 AM »
It might be useful to have a look at the Owner's Manuals for the PSR-9000 Version2 and Version3 which list the 'new' features introduced with each upgrade.

The last firmware upgrade was Version 3.06 and this can be downloaded along with the manuals from the following link...

http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?site=uk.yamaha.com&language=en&category_id1=16277&category_id2=16084&category_id3=&product_id=1439477

Note that the built in  floppy disk drive is normally used to install the new firmware. as well as being the basic form of external memory which on more modern keyboards would be a USB stick, so you should confirm that the floppy disk drive is working reliably before purchasing.

Regards

Ian 

Offline Happy Jack

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 08:31:29 AM »
 Hey gents, thanks for these informative responses.

Thought it might be a firmware update, but what threw me is that some of them sport a 'Version 3' logo around the floppy disc area.  Maybe it's just a sticker?  Possibly this one I'm looking at comes without a manual, so there's the first challenge.  Personally, though, I can't stand flicking through old paper manuals, brings me out in a rash. Rather print out my own. 

Yes, thanks for the caution:  floppy drive works okay, faded screen, bits of bacca' and dog hairs between the keys (when they assured me it came from a smoke-free, pet free home)...

Yes, the 'Pro' version, (my apologies if I err), is the more capable one but without speakers?  The speakers is what I need, something robust,  something knockabout,  plenty loud enough for domestic use to plug my other toys into.

Cheers guys

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 08:47:41 AM »
You can download PDF versions of the manuals for the V2 and V3 versions from the link that I posted in my previous reply.

These will open on your computer and you can use the 'search' or 'find' function to help you find what you are looking for.

Regards

Ian

Offline Happy Jack

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 11:05:33 AM »
You can download PDF versions of the manuals for the V2 and V3 versions from the link that I posted in my previous reply.

These will open on your computer and you can use the 'search' or 'find' function to help you find what you are looking for.

Regards

Ian

Good stuff, Ian, I'm sorted.  Cheers again.

Offline fireandflame

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 09:11:29 PM »
Hi Jack,
a little late posting here, sorry.

I used to own a 9000 pro (until I read this post, I remembered it as a 9000 (ii)).
Great machine, and in my opinion great voices. I now own a T4.....also a great machine, great voices........
In the T4 section of this forum, have posted a comparison of the two KBs recording the same song (8 years apart).....I think you will be happy you bought the 9000 (or any Yamaha KB).
Enjoy your playing.

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 01:15:24 AM »
I also owned the 9000 Pro for a number of years, a great keyboard with an excellent quality key bed.
T2 + NP30

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 12:48:45 PM »
Hi all
       I owned a 9000 and it was an excellent keyboard, the only trouble I had was having to replace the rubber strip under the keys,which I believe happens sometimes. The technician who did the job said this did not happen with the pro version as it had a better key bed.

Georgeandmarj

Offline Happy Jack

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 04:46:58 AM »
Hi all
       I owned a 9000 and it was an excellent keyboard, the only trouble I had was having to replace the rubber strip under the keys,which I believe happens sometimes. The technician who did the job said this did not happen with the pro version as it had a better key bed.

Georgeandmarj

Howdy, Georgeandmarj and all PSR 9000 renaissance folk ,

Yes, I believe the Pro version is the later model with higher functions (albeit with no speakers), probably better for gigging, I guess.   S/H price of those pro's seems to be much higher, too.   I would be curious about the approx cost of having a technician come and fix a new keybed, compared to just junking the instrument and getting another one.  The keybed is fine, mind you. 

This PSR 9000 is a great buy and was built to last, same as the Yamaha QY 700.   I use its powerful speakers to plug in my guitar and sampler.  I also like that it is obsolete (not 'precious') and well beyond any market deprecation.  Enjoyment is doubled due to the relatively small price paid, and not minding if the 'next' owner should find a few scratches on the case. :-)

Made a custom waterproof cover because it shares the room with painting and crafts. 
Floppy disk is fine by me, but have installed a hard disk and RAM upgrade and acquired a chunky Yamaha volume pedal for my one-finger solos.

happy regards

« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 05:09:01 AM by Happy Jack »

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 04:56:51 AM »
Hi Jack
          The only reason I changed my 9000 for was the heavy weight with built in speakers, carrying it to the club meetings used to do my back in for a few days.

Georgeandmarj

Offline Happy Jack

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 05:31:46 AM »
Hi Jack
          The only reason I changed my 9000 for was the heavy weight with built in speakers, carrying it to the club meetings used to do my back in for a few days.

Georgeandmarj

Hi, Georgeandmarj,

Can appreciate that, this PSR 9000 is one heavy blighter and stays indoors on my trolley.  The prospect of lifting it, never mind carrying it up steps.  :-)

cheers

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 01:19:06 PM »
I had the 9000 pro.
This keyboard has some advantages in sound.
A brush kit, where the toms, cymbals and hi hats are played with brushes.
A Sweet! mute trumpet.
Some other new sounds.
4 additional single outs
76 keys
4 split zones (chord recognition, left, Right 1 + 2, Right 3)