Author Topic: Arpeggiator control using sustain pedal on the E443  (Read 11264 times)

Offline SciNote

Arpeggiator control using sustain pedal on the E443
« on: January 14, 2015, 03:29:39 AM »
I just did some recording using the arpeggiator on my E433, and I experimented with the pedal settings.  The pedal can be set to hold an arpeggiation after you release the keys, and the pedal can also be programmed to hold the arpeggiation and also act as a sustain/damper pedal for the right-hand sounds that are not being arpeggiated.  But an odd thing I found out is that, if the pedal is set to either of these modes, and you hold down a chord for the arpeggiator while holding the pedal down, if you release the pedal, the arpeggiation stops until you hit another chord.

So, to clarify, when the pedal function is programmed to one of the arpeggiator hold functions... If you hold down the pedal while arpeggiating a chord, then release the keys on the keyboard, the arpeggiation continues as you would expect.  But if you hold down the chord on the keyboard and then release the pedal while playing the chord, the arpeggiation stops, even though you are still holding down the keys for the chord to be arpeggiated.

This is only if the pedal is set to either of the arpeggiator hold modes.  If it is set to just sustain/damper only, then the pedal has no effect on the arpeggiation either way.

My questions is, does the E443 do the same thing?  It seems strange for the keyboard to stop the arpeggiation even when you're still holding down the keys.
Bob
Yamaha PSR-E433
Yamaha PSR-520

Offline SciNote

Re: Arpeggiator control using sustain pedal on the E443
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 10:34:23 AM »
Awwww, no one has been able to test this?  Let me try to clarify what I am talking about...

1. Hook up the foot switch/sustain pedal
2. Set the E443's pedal mode to either one of the arpeggio hold modes
3. Turn on the arpeggiator
4. Hold down the foot switch pedal
5. Play an arpeggio chord to start the arpeggiator
6. While still holding that chord with your hand, release the foot switch pedal and let me know if that shuts down the arpeggio

On my E433, it does, which seems kind of odd.  I'm just wondering if the fixed that for the E443.
Bob
Yamaha PSR-E433
Yamaha PSR-520

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 10:55:10 AM »
I just tried it, and it works the same way on the PSR-E443.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline Joe H

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 11:44:11 AM »
Bob,

I doubt that it's a bug... but it could be.  I'd ask Yamaha about it  The Arpeggio Hold is a MIDI Switch.  It's job is to allow the arp to continue when you remove your hands from the keybed.  So if you are turning the switch On then Off while your hands are playing a chord... .  Playing the chord is one function, running the arppegiator is a separate and second function. Sounds like it is doing its job

I have on occasion called Yamaha about such things and am usually told... "this is how it is designed to work... it just doesn't work the way YOU want it to".  If that's the case, then there would be no "fix".

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline SciNote

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 08:39:24 PM »
Yeah, probably 99 times out of 100 things like this just end up being by design.  The pedal is certainly doing its job in keeping the arp going after you let go of the chord, but I don't see why it has to cut out the arp when you let go of the pedal while you're still holding down the chord!

Imagine if it did the same thing when in sustain/damper pedal mode.  You would hold down a chord while hitting the pedal, then you release the pedal, then notes of the chord would immediately stop sounding!  Not exactly what you'd expect.

If the E443 does the same thing, then it must be by design.  I found this in the first place because I was using the arp, and I also wanted the damper/sustain effect on the right hand, so I set the pedal mode to arp hold and sustain.  But as I was holding down an arp chord on my left hand and using the pedal to sustain notes of the melody I was playing on my right hand, the arp would cut out.
Bob
Yamaha PSR-E433
Yamaha PSR-520

Offline Xenon80

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 03:21:34 PM »
Yes, I remember this bug/feature (whatever it really is).
I wanted to use the pedal with arpeggio function the same way as a normal sustain.
Playing chords, releasing the pedal and playing another chord.
I was surprised why it sounded horrible.
Then, by accident, I found out how it really works.

P.S: Now I know what hold+sustain means - thanks  ;)

Cheers!
Yamaha DJX-II, Yamaha PSR-E443, Novation Bass Station II, M-Audio Oxygen IV 61

Offline cheguayaba

Arpeggiator control using sustain pedal on the E443
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 11:20:48 AM »
Without having to repeatedly visit the function/category buttons (after having changed voices), is there a way to permanently enable the sustain pedal to hold arpeggios? It seems to me to be a logical function ... arpeggio off - sustain pedal works in a traditional fashion ... arpeggio on - sustain pedal sustains arpeggio function. Am I being clear, and does my question make sense? Thanks in advance ... Al

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 02:01:30 AM »
is there a way to permanently enable the sustain pedal to hold arpeggios?

I think I answered you in a different forum, but to repeat that answer here for everyone else's benefit, the only way I know of to do what you're wanting is to set up some Registrations. The various Arpeggio-related settings (Arpeggio On/Off, Arpeggio Type, Arpeggio Velocity, Arpeggio Quantize, and Pedal Function) are all set to specific default values whenever you select a different Voice, so you would need to set up a Registration for each Voice you want to use during a performance, along with the particular Arpeggio and other settings that you want to use with each Voice. That way you can switch back and forth between your selection of Voices by recalling the appropriate Registrations and your preferred settings will be used, as opposed to the default preset settings associated with those Voices.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443