Author Topic: Is the DGX 650 a big improvement over the DGX 640 ? What do you think ?  (Read 3149 times)

Offline vbdx66

Hello to everybody,

I want to upgrade from my PSR E433, which I just sold. Since I want to practice some piano as well as rely on arranging features, I have been considering both the DGX 640 (used for 525 €, mint but no warranty) and the DGX 650 (789 €,new from the local music store with two years warranty).

Apart from the price difference, what are the real assets of the DGX 650 over the 640?

I know that the 650 has 128 voices of polyphony instead of 64 for the 650 and that you can record audio on an USB pendrive on the 650, which you can't do on the 640, but this is not my main area of concern.

My first point of interest is : the DGX 650 has the Natural! Grand Piano voice, which the 640 hasn't (it has the Live! Grand Piano instead). I have tried both keyboards, the 640 in a small room and the 650 in a larger room at the music store and I cannot really hear the sound difference between both voices. Do you know what the technical/sampling/programming difference between Live! and Natural! voices ? Are Natural! voices better, or is it just a different name for the same thing ?

Has somebody on this forum had the opportunity to play both keyboards (maybe if you have upgraded from the 640 to the 650) and if yes, have you noticed a sound quality diffferencee between the Natural! and the Live! Grand Piano?

Also, I had the feeling that the keys of the DGX 650 are much more noisy than that of the DGX 640, has someone else noticed this ? The vendor in the music shop told me that the keybed of the DGX 650 was a big improvement over the DGX 640, but I had a better touch feeling with the DGX 640. It was a bit lighter but not too much, more precise and less noisy, but it migh just be an impression, since I couldn't try both keybaords side by side.

Last thing: has anybody on this forum an extensive experience with one of these two keyboards, and how would you rate them ?

Thanks for helping,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650

Offline here_and_there

Re: Is the DGX 650 a big improvement over the DGX 640 ? What do you think ?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 04:46:19 PM »
Hello,

I see in your comments that you had both 640 and 650. Could you please post your comments about the differences between the two models. Right now both are almost on the same price. I read comments somewhere that 640 is better on some points than the 650 and still am hesitating which one to take.

Is there a big difference between Live! and Natural! GP ? Is there a big difference in the integrated speakers ? Is there a big difference in the keys ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 01:39:29 AM »
Hello and welcome to the forum :-)

Yes, I had the DGX 640 for one year and have now had the DGX 650 since one year also.

I like both keyboards but the DGX 650 is by far best. The Natural! ganrd piano is much better than the Live! grand piano of the 640, which the 650 also has, by the way. The polyphony of the 650 doubles that of the 640. There are more voices and styles on the 650 than on the 640. Also, in the 650, you can plug in another instrument, for instance an electric guitar or another keyboard, which might come handy.

As for the keybed and the internal speakers, I noticed no difference between both keyboards: on both of them the keybed and internal speakers are very good for that pricetag. The key action is not as good as on a Clavinova for instance, but the 640-650 are digital pianos in their own right and the key action is much better than on a 5-octave keyboard, at least where piano playing is concerned (if you want to play strings, a saxophone, a flute or a trumpet, you might like better the lighter key action  of a keyboard).

The newer model in the range is the DGX 660, which has new outstanding features, like the "piano room", a voice processor and a mike-in plug: you can sing through the PA system of the piano, which might be great for a church, a school or a small café.

I'd say that the DGX 650 is a good bargain if you buy it mint at least 200$ cheaper than the 660 (which, don't forget, will come new and with a fully-fledged warranty). As for the 640, it is good but a bit outdated but will still make a good bargain if you are a beginner and can find it for a really good price (not more than 400$ IMHO).

Hope this helps; if you have further question, don't hesitate to ask them here and let us know when you have chosen your new piano :-)

Best Regards,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650

Offline here_and_there

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 05:01:42 AM »
Hello Vinciane, Bachus,

thank you for your answers. I missed the 650 opportunity and 660 is way too expensive for my budget. Currently am waiting for another not too expensive 650 or finally I'll go with a 640 given that at my level, I won't probably feel the difference.

Thanks again. Will update after purchase.

--