Author Topic: USB Floppy Drive in PSR-9000  (Read 51389 times)

Offline yamahajohn

USB Floppy Drive in PSR-9000
« on: October 31, 2014, 03:57:04 AM »
HI, Its been some time since my last visit mainly because i did not have a keyboard, but i happened on a very cheap psr 9000, i installed a hard drive and thought i would try a usb to floppy emulator all was well it worked a treat, untill i came to do a back up and restore,i used a formatted usb stick using the floppy software and put it in the 9000 at first all was well untill the 9000 asked for the second disk so i clicked for the next floppy block and the 9000 asked if i wanted to format the disk when i put no it asked for the next disk, so i let it format the disk on my second attempt and it accepted the floppy block but checking to see if all wasok the fist floppy block showed on the keyboard but the second floppy block read no file, both files show on my pc and this is what i get. FLOPPY0 Which i put as BU1 and 1??? instead of FLOPPY1, anyway i did a back up to the internal hard drive for now i just wondered if anyone on hear has encountered this problem. The usb floppy emulator is a black gotek one with two buttons and one green led light. John.

Offline ElectroVoice

Re: USB Floppy Drive in PSR-9000
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 05:01:01 PM »
Im sorry that I dont have any answer for you. I was looking for this emulator to backup everything. And load and export stuff from the keyboard to another keyboard.

My package in my psr9000 is 64mb of samples, drumkits, styles, voices. I would like to export everything to another PSR9000. IF I would export everything with floppy disks I would probably need like 50 disks = time consuming.
 And I have no Idea how to use SCSI device and if it works for my purpose.

The only thing I think is easy with no further hassle is to first save everything to my installed HD, step to= take it out from my psr9000 and install it in another PSR9000, then load everything from it. IS this something you would also recommend?

Sorry If I ask you this.

Online Joe H

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 09:06:17 PM »
John,

Floppy emulators are hit and miss.  I installed a GOTEK in my Yamaha MDF3 and it worked perfectly, so I tried the same drive in my Yamaha RM1x Remixer-Sequencer and it didn't work.  Both pieces of gear use the same identical floppy drive.  so not all floppy controller firmware / software is the same is my only conclusion.   You may need to install a switch to disconnect the drive when switching from one virtual floppy to the next. 

The GOTEK emuilator has a jumper where the switch needs to be installed.  With the jumper on = switch On / circiut closed.  With the jumper off = switch Off / circuit open

Another thing to check is did you format the virtual floppy to the right floppy size FAT 12 - 720k     or   FAT 12 - 1.44MB 

You may have to experiment to get it working right.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Online Joe H

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 09:15:29 PM »
John,

Here's a link to some info I wrote about 2 1/2 years ago on the topic with photos.  Maybe you have seen it already. It gives more details but I can offer NO additional info other than what I wrote there.  Good luck with getting it going.  When they work...  they work very well.

https://app.box.com/s/aa14d8f9c8c837066161

Joe H
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 09:28:14 PM by Joe H »

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline yamahajohn

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 03:11:06 AM »
Hi Joe, thanks for the info i formatted the usb to Fat 12- 1.44mb i will try it at Fat 12 - 720k and let you know how i get on, other than the back up/ restore the usb does everything the floppy drive did. John. 

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 06:06:00 PM »
Hi Joe, thanks for the info i formatted the usb to Fat 12- 1.44mb i will try it at Fat 12 - 720k and let you know how i get on, other than the back up/ restore the usb does everything the floppy drive did. John. 

Did you use the software that came with the emulator to format your USB?
If you don't have the software send me a PM and I mail it to you.

Dick
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline yamahajohn

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 02:41:46 AM »
Hi Dick, Yes i used the software that came with the emulator it works fine but wont accept the next floppy block to continue the back up operation. John

Online Joe H

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 07:45:28 AM »
John,

Do you have the means to connect a temporary switch on the emulator?  Sounds like you will need to switch it off then change to the next virtual floppy and then turn the emulator back on. this is necessary on some devices but not all.  If that works you can drill a hole on the right side of the front panel and install a small toggle switch or push-On / push - Off.  Do a temporary setup first to see if that solves the problem.

Joe H
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 08:03:43 AM by Joe H »

Offline yamahajohn

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 02:02:56 AM »
Hi Joe, yes i can do that have sent for a small push on push off switch and will not drill any fixing hole unless it does the trick thanks for the info.

Offline yamahajohn

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 02:10:05 AM »
Oh forgot to mention Joe the emulator i have will also format the usb drive by holding the two buttons in and turning the keyboard on and the virtual floppys all show on the keyboard and on my pc when using the software that came with the unit whether that makes any difference i dont know but i have tried both methods of formatting and get the same result.

Offline ElectroVoice

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 04:52:42 PM »
So does this Floppy Emulator, copy exact everything from the keyboard? Even all the samples? custom voices and drumkits?

And can you import everything back again without any problems? ANY one that tryed that, and not only transfered styles back and forth?

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 05:20:20 PM »
So does this Floppy Emulator, copy exact everything from the keyboard? Even all the samples? custom voices and drumkits?

And can you import everything back again without any problems? ANY one that tryed that, and not only transfered styles back and forth?

I have been using a floppy emulator (with the extra switch) since 2009 almost every day in a PSR2000. It does exactly the same as you can do with the normal floppy-drive.
The keyboard doesn't see any difference. The screen on your keyboard looks the same. So the answer is YES all you normally can do just as before.
Instead of changing floppies all the time you just push a button to go to the (virtual) floppy you want  to use on the USB-stick. You have hundred on one USB to choose from.
Till now I never (knock wood) had any problem.

Dick
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 05:24:06 PM by Dick Rector »
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline ElectroVoice

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 04:40:59 PM »
Ok, so I tried this Floppy emulator..

On the computer:
I made 100 disks on it 1.4mb DOS 7.1

In the keyboard:
When I copy a sample that is 5mb from the HD via this floppy emulator, it copy to the first "floppy disk" and then say the disk is full. It does not show something like "put in next floppy and press next"

Help? This was worthless for me. :(

Third alternative for me if so is to order a usb emulator for the psr9000, http://www.musitronics.org/products/psr9000_usb_e.html

OR maybe take the HD out and connect it to the computer to take everything out from the HD. ????

I have been using a floppy emulator (with the extra switch) since 2009 almost every day in a PSR2000. It does exactly the same as you can do with the normal floppy-drive.
The keyboard doesn't see any difference. The screen on your keyboard looks the same. So the answer is YES all you normally can do just as before.
Instead of changing floppies all the time you just push a button to go to the (virtual) floppy you want  to use on the USB-stick. You have hundred on one USB to choose from.
Till now I never (knock wood) had any problem.

Dick
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 04:43:58 PM by ElectroVoice »

Online Joe H

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 08:44:31 PM »
ElectroVoice,

Sounds like you didn't do the math.  You cant fit 5MB of data on a 1.44MB floppy disk, so it won't fit on a 1,44 virtual floppy either.

The USB floppy emulator does just that... it emulates a floppy disk... works just like a floppy disk, but no moving parts.  The advantage is you have 100 floppies on the USB and you can transfer files from the USB floppy a computer that doesn't have a floppy drive.

Maybe someone with a Tyros will post.  I think you can access your keyboard HD from your computer if you are connected via the USB MIDI cable and install some downloder software  ???.

Joe H

Offline yamahajohn

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 03:06:32 AM »
Electrovoice Be aware this usb interface you mention can overload a component on the psr9000 hard drive interface causing it to burn out and your hard drive will stop working i know this as i purchased a psr9000 some years ago that had this interface installed and the hard drive had stopped working due to a component burn out as i have mentioned i got the part and repaired that psr 9000 myself, yamaha wanted 120 to repair it and the part only cost pennies plus postage i only tell you this as a burn out can happen with this interface they do work but i would not install one. Good luck. John

Offline ElectroVoice

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2014, 08:04:24 AM »
Thanks for the head up, then I wont purchase this module.

But will I be able to copy everything from my psr9000 HD to the computer. I want to take out everything from it :(

Electrovoice Be aware this usb interface you mention can overload a component on the psr9000 hard drive interface causing it to burn out and your hard drive will stop working i know this as i purchased a psr9000 some years ago that had this interface installed and the hard drive had stopped working due to a component burn out as i have mentioned i got the part and repaired that psr 9000 myself, yamaha wanted 120 to repair it and the part only cost pennies plus postage i only tell you this as a burn out can happen with this interface they do work but i would not install one. Good luck. John

Offline ElectroVoice

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2014, 08:06:21 AM »
Yea, I know the math.. If I was not clear enough. I was asking also does it not overlap the information to the next disk ? like put in the second disk to continue copy.

How can I then take out everything from this HD in my psr9000? Is it impossible? :( I have 3-4gb stuff in it.

Can you explain further? what does the guys with a tyros and we with a psr9000 have in common in this aspect? What usb midi cable? does psr9000 have usb connection that I didnt know of?

ElectroVoice,

Sounds like you didn't do the math.  You cant fit 5MB of data on a 1.44MB floppy disk, so it won't fit on a 1,44 virtual floppy either.

The USB floppy emulator does just that... it emulates a floppy disk... works just like a floppy disk, but no moving parts.  The advantage is you have 100 floppies on the USB and you can transfer files from the USB floppy a computer that doesn't have a floppy drive.

Maybe someone with a Tyros will post.  I think you can access your keyboard HD from your computer if you are connected via the USB MIDI cable and install some downloder software  ???.

Joe H
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 08:08:42 AM by ElectroVoice »

Online Joe H

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2014, 08:50:14 AM »
You can't break up (straddle) a file between virtual floppies, so all you can do is copy up to 1.44MB per virtual floppy.  You have potentially 144MB of space on the USB 100 floppies thumb drive.

I believe the PSR 9000 Pro was the beginnings of the future Tyros design, but if there is no USB MIDI (USB to Host) connection on the PSR 9000, then it's copying to the USB emulator in increments or else pull the HD from your 9000 in order to dump everything to your computer HD

Joe H
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 04:19:45 PM by Joe H »

Offline ElectroVoice

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2014, 03:10:53 PM »
I think I have to go with this option then. Ive already took the HDs out so I will go to a computer store tomorrow so they can copy everything from it. Thanks !

or else pull the HD from your 9000 in order to dump everything to your computer HD

Joe H

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 05:25:12 PM »
Hi ElectroVoice,

If the computer store want to charge a small fortune for copying the hard disks, you might want to consider getting an external IDE/SATA to USB interface for your computer and doing the job yourself.   You will then have the device to use in the future too.

You will still have to remove the disk from the 9000,  but you can then connect it to the interface which then just connects to a USB port on your computer, where the connected disk simply shows as an additional drive in Windows Explorer or equivalent, and can be managed just like any other drive.

This will allow you to copy the contents of one disk to your computer for back up, and then change the drive and write it out to the second if you need to.

These devices are not expensive ( I paid about 23 GBP for mine) and they can be lifesavers for recovering data if a drive won't work in a particular device.

In your case you need to get one that accepts 2.5 inch IDE drives at the very least, but most of them will take 2.5 and 3.5 inch IDE and SATA hard drives, as well as other devices such as floppy disk drives etc.  You will also need one with a  power supply for the IDE disks.

Here is a link to the one that I have, but there are others available.  I'm sure that eBay is awash with them! Your local computer shop may even have one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Startech-USB-2-0-SATA-Adapter/dp/B000VS4HDM/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Regards

Ian

Offline yamahajohn

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2014, 08:39:55 AM »
Well no luck with my usb floppy emulator the keyboard still wants to format the next virtual floppy for the second part of the back up if i let it format the floppy01 the file does not show on the keyboard but it does on my pc maybe i have not put the wires for the switch in the right place anyone know the connections for the switch any pctures would be good. My emulator is the Gotek Black one  with the two buttons and three digit display. John

Online Joe H

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 08:46:28 AM »
John,

I provided you a link to the document I wrote near the beginning of this thread that includes photos showing the jumpers where the switch is connected.  See above.

Joe H

Offline yamahajohn

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2014, 01:46:13 AM »
Hi Joe, yes thats where i put the switch connection as seen on the bottom left picture but i wont give up, thanks.

Offline yamahajohn

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2014, 04:03:30 AM »
hi its me again, still no luck with the back up on my psr 9000 does anyone know if the green LED should be on all the time it does go of if i use the switch i have put in, as i have seen on some forums it should only illuminate when the floppy emulator is busy. John

Online Joe H

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2014, 08:09:14 AM »
John,

On my two GOTEK emulators, the light only comes on when the drive is being accessed, otherwise, the light is off.  As I mention in my document, on my Atari computer, I had to change a jumper to get it to work properly.

Joe H
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 10:14:48 AM by Joe H »

Offline yamahajohn

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2014, 01:50:07 AM »
Hi Joe, Thanks, I will see how i get on with trying different jumpers and let you know how i get on. John 

MikeC

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2014, 05:24:37 AM »
I have a question in regards to jumping these cables. As I know next to nothing about this, is it possible to damage or short something out if a wrong wire is jumped to the wrong connector?

Mike

Online Joe H

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2014, 07:41:04 AM »
MikeC,

I think the jumper settings are for different types of programmable industrial sewing machines.  I DON'T think you can (typo correction) damage the emulator by putting a jumper on any of the jumper terminals.

I found some information that may even help me with my RM1x installation.  I'll have to give it a try when I get a chance.  See attachment.

Joe H
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 03:11:04 PM by Joe H »

MikeC

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2014, 09:40:49 AM »
Thanks Joe for the diagram attachment. I understand somewhat better now. Its as clear as mud. Should I assume this method will work on most of the Gotek Emulator's that can be found on eBay?

Online Joe H

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2014, 03:15:39 PM »
MikeC,

Since these emulators are manufactured exclusively in China, just about all sellers are located in China and most have a poor command of English, so it is difficult to ask questions and get clear answers.  The emulators were originally designed to replace the floppy drives in programmable industrial embroidery sewing machines.  Beyond that bit of information it's mostly trial and error when it comes to other installations and applications.

Joe H

Offline filoaman

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2015, 09:38:25 AM »
I have the same problem with my FD emulators... A few years ago i buy one via eBay from a Vietnamese provider. Was a little bit expensive ( /-50$) i installed on my psr-1000 and everything work's fine.
A few months ago i buy 2 more from the cheapest eBay provider ( /-25$ each), for two other Yamaha PSR keyboards. Unfortunately both doesn't work. You can use only the First (#00) virtual floppy. I ask again and again the provider but i was receiving totally irrelevant answers. They can't speak English and they can't understand your questions, very disappointing...
In my case (for the applications i need to execute in my PRS) even  one virtual floppy is OK, but is quite frustrating knowing that your drive doesn't work 100%
So my advice, just don't buy from the cheapest eBay provider...

Online Joe H

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2015, 10:21:46 AM »
filoaman,

Have you tried installing a switch?  What this does is temporarily disconnect the floppy emulator.  Turn Off the switch... then change virtual floppies from the front panel of the emulator and turn the switch back On.

The keyboard should recognize the floppy again... and it will just be a different virtual floppy now.  If the emulator is working, then the switch allows you to change partitions (virtual floppies) by disconnecting the drive temporarily while you switch to another floppy partition.  You may also have to re-select the floppy drive on your keyboard for it to show up again.  Dick can probably verify if this is necessary.

Joe H
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 10:23:13 AM by Joe H »

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2015, 02:57:51 PM »
Here is a doc file I picked up a long time ago from somewhere. It explains how and where to connect a switch to the emulators without one.
Never tried it myself so it is up to you if you want to try it.
I use one with the switch already built in (as in a picture in this document) and it works spotless since 2009.
There is a lot more info in this doc. Something to read if you have the time. :D

Hope it helps.
Dick
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Online Joe H

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2015, 03:32:57 PM »
Dick,

Thanks for the document.  The picture was much too large to fit on the page so I resized it and converted the doc to pdf. It is attached.

Regards,
Joe H

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 03:33:59 PM by Joe H »

Offline filoaman

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2016, 09:40:33 AM »
Sorry for bumping this thread almost a year after, but since i plan to do something for the two floppies that doesn't work properly, are there any information on how can i add this switch?
I don't have the technical knowledge to do it buy my self, but i need instructions to provide my technician.
Any idea?

filoaman,

Have you tried installing a switch?  What this does is temporarily disconnect the floppy emulator.  Turn Off the switch... then change virtual floppies from the front panel of the emulator and turn the switch back On.