Author Topic: Gigging with DGX-650?  (Read 3161 times)

Offline Dave Nuttall

Gigging with DGX-650?
« on: December 17, 2013, 04:24:42 AM »
I was considering the purchase of a Yamaha P-155 piano to augment my low-volume gigging in nursing homes and small churches, but a sales guy at the local GC store suggested the DGX-650, which I played and first impression was good.

Anybody using one to gig with?

I have an S910 which is probably a little more portable than the DGX-650, but the wannabe piano-player in me likes the touch and more keys to play.  Also, its at least $200 less than a P-155 which probably isn't as "styles friendly" as the DGX-650 is by design.

TIA if you have insights/opinions to share.

Dave
PSR-S910, ProTools 12.x, Cubase AI5, Win10 & MacBook Pro, Digi-003 /Octane 8, BIAB-2016, Sibelius 7.5, MixMaster, PRSUTI, and lonely Baldwin SF-10

Offline s_cristi

Re: Gigging with DGX-650?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 08:16:17 AM »
Hi Dave!

I'd go for the DGX 650. Is a much more complex instrument than the P-155 and it has a nice sound (The Piano part for sure).
Even the DGX 520's Piano sounds better than my PSR 3000's one. I think the one in DGX 650 is very nice and well improved.
I can't believe the 650 is cheaper than the P-155...  ???
Good luck with this one!
Cristian
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:25:14 AM by s_cristi »
Blessed be the Lord God Almighty!
PSR S770  8)

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 03:03:12 PM »
I played a 650 on  a few occasions, it's a good keyboard, not nearly as portable as my S-950 and no where near as versatile. Keep in mind, though, especially if you intend on performing the nursing home circuit, also known as the senior circuit, low level music, especially songs older than the late 1950s, and without high quality vocals, will put the residents to sleep in a heartbeat. I played the senior circuit for more than 30 years, performing an average of 6 to 8 jobs a week, and I know first hand what entertains the residents and what keeps you booked on a regular basis with the ADs at those facilities. Though you may thoroughly enjoy playing the piano, you need to offer the residents the full package - all instruments, all genres, upbeat, and great vocals.

The 650, if I recall correctly, did not have a vocal processor, therefore, you will need to add an external vocal processor to your setup, preferably, one that syncs with the keyboard and reads the midi output information without latency. You will also need to invest in a high quality microphone, which can set you back nearly as much as the 650. Just something to consider.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 02:40:00 AM »
Hi Dave,

If you like the DGX 650 and would like to use some vocals, why don't you try out the DGX 660? It is basically the DGX 650 with more polyphony, Piano Room, a mike input and a vocal processor (although nothing comparable to that of the Tyros or PSR S970 of course).

The drawback of DGX 650-660 for playing in nursing homes: they are quite heavy. I would call this line of keyboards more "movable" than "portable". I personnaly would not choose them for gigging, exept if you always play in the same nursing home and the keyboard can stay there between gigs.

If you are looking for something decent, not expensive and very portable, I'd suggest the PSR EW400. It has 76 keys and the nice Live! piano voice of the DGX 640, the predecessor of the DGX 650-660 (the latter both have the even better Natural! Grand Piano inherited from the higher-end Clavinova's). It also has proper line out stereo Jacks to connext it to a PA system, which the DGX line does not have, unfortunately, because they are considered as "home" keyboards.

If you go to YouTube, there are very nice demos of all three models. You can see the DGX 660 used together with vocals, and there are some very professional demo's with the PSR EW400, which will show you that it is a nice keyboard with interesting features.

Hope this helps,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650

Offline billmc

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 03:08:52 PM »
Another possibility *might* be the YPG-235. It is very similar to the DGX650 but weighs a whole lot less due to unweighted keys and only 76 of them. My DGX-650, while excellent for a home EP, is just too heavy to be considered a "portable grand", no matter what Yamaha says.  ;D

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 07:21:29 PM »
Interestingly enough, the DGX-660 weighs slightly less than the DGX-650:

DGX-650 -- Weight 22.5kg (49 lbs. 10 oz.) -- with keyboard stand: 29.5kg (65 lbs. 1 oz.)
DGX-660 -- Weight 21kg (46 lbs. 5 oz.) -- with keyboard stand: 28kg (61 lbs. 12 oz.)

Not enough difference to make the DGX-660 more "portable," though.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline billmc

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 05:17:38 AM »
Yeah, SeaGtGruff, not a whole lot of weight shaved off on a 50 pound keyboard. Ouch!

Granted, these ARE far more portable than a Yamaha CFX 9' Grand. Still, I wouldn't want to lug one of these to church every Sunday or to a Senior Citizen's Center on a regular basis to play.

What I actually want to do with it, besides playing at home, is (voice lowers to a barely audible whisper) lay down accompaniment tracks for when I play my accordion at my local Accordion Club. My accordion is a good-sounding instrument, but I want to put a bit of rhythms and pads behind it. Once I record the tracks, I put them onto an MP3 player and can play them through a small amp as a nice background for my accordion.

Don't tell anyone here that I play accordion. I don't want to get banned.  ;D

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 10:25:00 AM »
Don't tell anyone here that I play accordion. I don't want to get banned.  ;D

I doubt that would happen, although you might get band! It wouldn't surprise me if there are more accordion players here than you know. :)
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443