Author Topic: PSRS650-many styles not loaded properly from USB  (Read 2793 times)

androidgalaxyman

PSRS650-many styles not loaded properly from USB
« on: July 23, 2013, 01:42:26 AM »
Dear all,
i am very new bee to this forum. in my PSRS650 doesn't show styles from the USB drive? doesn't have any limitation in numbers?

Please give your thought!

Thanks
In advance

Offline Dick Rector

Re: PSRS650-many styles not loaded properly from USB
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 03:35:50 PM »
If there are to many files in a folder, the keyboard will not show them. Try to make subfolders (on a computer) and load no more than about 250 files in each folder.
Did you format the USB-drive in the keyboard, that sometimes helps as well.

If files are too large for the flash-memory of the keyboard (quite limited), like some styles from higher end keyboards, they will not load. You can find some programs on this website to make them smaller but that not always works.
Welcome to the forum anyway!

Dick
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 03:39:55 PM by Dick Rector »
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

androidgalaxyman

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 11:35:55 PM »
Thanks Dick. Even though i formatted , i faced the same issue. But i do agree with i have put lot of styles more than 250. But i am using 16 GB Transcend  drive.

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 01:53:09 AM »
Thanks Dick. Even though i formatted , i faced the same issue. But i do agree with i have put lot of styles more than 250. But i am using 16 GB Transcend  drive.

Never mind how large or small the USB-flashdisk is !! The problem is the internal on-board flashmemory in the keyboard where the styles will be loaded to be able to play them. Yamaha trough the years has been very shy with internal memory. You can NOT load too many files at the time. You'll be OK if you make folders with less files in it. Like Ballads, Jazz, BigBand, MyFavorites etc etc.
Also, as I said before, some external styles can be simply toooo BIG for you keyboard. You will get a message like 'Can not load, file too big' or 'File not properly loaded'.

Good luck, and come back if you have problems. Tons of nice people on this forum willing to help.
Look also at the homepage if you haven't done already. Much info can be picked up.

Dick
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline sherrif

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 04:34:47 AM »
I'm lost : have a psr-s650 and only a few styles are showing op via the usb stick (all STY-files o, the usb) even I have no folder with more then 200 files : checked the USB with Folderchecker '(see attachment). what am I missing. Please help me. Thanks

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 09:00:37 AM »
I'm lost : have a psr-s650 and only a few styles are showing op via the usb stick (all STY-files o, the usb) even I have no folder with more then 200 files : checked the USB with Folderchecker '(see attachment). what am I missing. Please help me. Thanks

File names, including the folders and extensions, cannot be longer than 50 characters.

Just looking at the length of your folder names, I suspect this is your problem.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 01:20:53 PM »
I agree with Fred - many of those file names will have to be renamed, which can easily be done in your PC. Make them short, concise and if possible, song specific so they are easily recognized.

Hope this helps,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Online tyrosaurus

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 04:09:04 PM »
Hi sherrif,

I don't have an S650, but after looking at the S650 Owner's and Reference manuals, it appears as if there is no means of selecting a folder of your own choice on the USB device.   It looks to me as if the keyboard OS will only look in one specific folder for files to load/save/delete.

The section in the manual about saving and loading files says that this folder  is named 'USER FILE'.  However, confusingly, the section about deleting files from a USB calls the folder 'USER FILES'!  ??? ::)

It will be the same folder for all operations so there must be an error in the manual.  Whether the folder is 'USER FILE' or 'USER FILES', it is presumably at the root level (I assume that if you format a USB drive using the keyboard, or perhaps the first time that you save a file to a particular USB, it creates this folder if it doesn't already exist).

I see that your screen shot shows several folders that are sub-folders of 'USER FILES', but I don't see a folder called 'USER FILE' off the root level.   However even if the folder that the keyboard OS looks for is actually called 'USER FILES' rather than 'USER FILE' as stated in the manual, I suspect that the OS will only list styles that are in that folder, and not those that are in any of the sub-folders.

I would  note which styles are being listed by the keyboard and check on your computer to see if they correspond with those in the 'USER FILE' or 'USER FILES' folder.  If they don't, then check against any styles in the root folder in case the OS is looking here for styles.

Once you have established exactly where the OS is looking for styles, use your computer to transfer one or two others from one of the sub-folders to the  folder that the OS  looks to, and see if these are then included in the keyboard's listing.

If they are, it would seem to confirm the above.

Of course there may also be limits on the length of the filename (but this won't include the path to the relevant folder), and also a maximum number of files in the folder!  However as a first step, I would try to positively identify the folder that the OS uses when it looks for styles.  You can worry about other things later! 

Regards

Ian   

The following users thanked this post: Dick Rector

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 07:47:06 PM »
Ian, I have not had time to search for the manual, however, I believe it has the same capabilities for storage as the S-950, which would allow you to go to the user file, then tab over to the USB storage device and select any file from that location as well.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Online tyrosaurus

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 10:46:03 AM »
Hi Gary,

The PSR-S650 OS seems to be more in line with that of the early PSR-E and DGX series, which in terms of file management is much less flexible than the one on your S950 (or your old PSR-3000)!  Mercifully, the S950/750 and later models use an infinitely better OS type!

I have an old DGX505 which even though it predates the S650 uses a similar OS.  It actually uses a Smart Media card for external storage like your old 3000, but it will only look in the card's root folder for external styles!  There is no option to select a particular folder as there is in the OS used in a 3000, S950, or any current MOTL/TOTL Yamaha arranger.

Similarly there is nothing in the S650 manuals to suggest that you can select the folder on a USB.

Regards

Ian