Author Topic: HAS ANYONE SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED/USED A FLOPPY DISK EMULATOR ON TYROS 1?  (Read 12512 times)

Offline Linda K

Hi

If you have installed/ used a floppy disk emulator on Tyros 1, I would appreciate very much if you could share this information.

Thank you ;D

Linda K

« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 08:17:36 AM by Linda K »

Offline Craig Schiller

Linda -

I don't understand your question. Why would you need a floppy drive emulator when there's an actual floppy drive?

Offline pieterpan

Linda,

I have one and have installed - one day later I put it out again. It is a not user friendly system and very complicated to load and save files and slow also. Better stick to the floppy and the USB connection.

I have one so if you want to try it out I'm wlling to sell it for a low price - interested, contact me.

Regards <> Piet
Yamaha Tyros 4 - Yamaha KX 25 - Gem WSII module

Offline Linda K

Hi Craig

Thanks for your question. ;D ;D

I have corrected my query to 'floppy disk' emulator. (not floppy drive)
My research suggests that the floppy disk can be changed to an emulator which uses a thumb drive instead of a floppy.

The thumb drive is then formatted into 100 patitions, each one  take the contents of one floppy disk. Therefore, the contents of up to 100 floppys can be transferred to the thumb drive.

Considering that the average floppy can hold approximately 30 styles, midis ect, the thump drive can contain approx 3000 (styles, midis ect). It is also a faster process.

Dick Rector (PSR Tutorial Member) has had one installed on his PSR keyboard since 2009 and is positive about his experience. He has also helped install this product (same brand) on many other PSR KB's successfully.

HOWEVER, I dont have enough information about installing on T1. I am waiting for the dealer to get back to me. But I would feel more confident if I had heard about other T1 owners having successfully installed a floppy disk emulator.

Hi Pietre

Thanks for your information and offer ;D

Linda K

Offline Dick Rector

Sorry, I don't agree with you Piet, if you only had the emulator in your T1 for 1 day you can't say it is user unfriendly. Yes you have to work in a certain order using the software on a PC just like you have to do when working on a keyboard 'doing things' anyway. But until I bought my S950 last September I used the emulator in a PSR-2000 EVERY day for years and it is not more difficult than changing a floppy or copying styles from one place to another. Although I must admit I have no experience with an emulator in a T1.
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline pieterpan

Dick,

You know where I bought it and I'm not complaining over it but (in my opinion) it's easier to use that floppy (for one or two styles) and for greater amounts the USB connection.

But everyone is entitled to have his own opinion,

Regards <> Piet
Yamaha Tyros 4 - Yamaha KX 25 - Gem WSII module

merc98

I have one installed for 2years    software works with only windows xp      [  windows 7 no way ]  ihave the equivellant of 60 floppy disks[100 avaible on a 8g flash drive] very easy to use you just allocate each floppy block 1.4 mb of data  [  make list ]    ie    if it is a styles    start up press the style button   go to floppy drive  set the floppy number required  same goes for voices /registrations/  mp3/gigs/  multi pads/ anything you would load onto a floppy for a tyros   have not tried recording    I assume you would allocate a empty floppy block        was easy to install 35 miniutes  fits straight in  big time saver

Offline Dick Rector

I have several installed since 2009 in various PSR's and use one in my old PSR 2000 myself almost every day. Works great. I have no problem with the software in Windows 7 (32) and I have 100 virtual floppies on a USB-stick.

Dick
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline Joe H

I installed an emulator in a Yamaha MDF3 MIDI Data Filer that uses the exact same floppy drive as many Yamaha keyboards.

The floppy drive model is:  ALPS 354H121F.  I used a GOTEK brand USB sold by  clickgolds-uk  on eBay, emulator that worked for that particular floppy drive and also replaces the following floppy drives:

Alps - AL FD 7xx)
Panasonic - JU-25xxx
Sony - MPF-520xx
Ye Data - YD702D

Sellers charge more for a 720k emulator but most emulator software can be formatted as 720k, 1.2 MB or 1.44MB floppies.  You might check with a Yamaha dealer on what brand and model floppy drive was used in the Tyros 1. 

Joe H
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 08:22:45 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

JohnnyKeys

I install an emulator in a Yamaha MDF3 MIDI Data Filer that uses the exact same floppy drive as many Yamaha keyboards.

The floppy drive model is:  ALPS 354H121F.  I used a GOTEK brand USB sold by  clickgolds-uk  on eBay, emulator that worked for that particular floppy drive and also replaces the following floppy drives:

Alps - AL FD 7xx)
Panasonic - JU-25xxx
Sony - MPF-520xx
Ye Data - YD702D

Sellers charge more for a 720k emulator but most emulator software can be formatted as 720k, 1.2 MB or 1.44MB floppies.  You might check with a Yamaha dealer on what brand and model floppy drive was used in the Tyros 1. 

Joe H

I have my Tyros 1 in pieces on the bench as I type, and can confirm it's the same floppy drive, the ALPS 354H121F but I have to ask: why would anyone bother to emulate the floppy drive on the Tyros when you can just install a 2.5" laptop type hard disk in the bay underneath? It's easy to do, and operates just as fast as the inbuilt User flash drive, but with a much higher capacity. Even an old 2GB drive like mine will store thousands of registrations, voices, styles and songs. "Floppy disk emulators" do exactly that - they operate as a floppy disk would and, for compatibility reasons, will only read/write at the speed of a floppy disk. I've considered buying one for my EL-900 Electone, because there's no chance of installing a hard disk there, but that's for another forum ;-)

Offline Bill Grosse

JohnnyKeys,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your T1 keyboard.  8)

I agree with you about not worrying with the floppy on a T1.
I had the T1 and never used the floppy, but as you say, I installed a hard drive and never looked back.

The problem now, however, is the fact those eligible hard drives have been out of production as long as the T1 and are very hard to find.
Let us know how it goes with finding a hard drive that works.

Bill G
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

henry121

i would rather buy a tyros 2  instead of my tyros1