Author Topic: Converting Midi to mp3  (Read 5537 times)

Offline Larry Warner

Converting Midi to mp3
« on: December 01, 2012, 06:14:09 AM »
Can someone tell me what is an excellent program to convert Midi's to mp3.

I know a lot of people do this and I am new at it.  what i have tried does not sound the same or as good
as the keyboard.  I have tried a "Free" program as that is probably what the cause is.

Can any one give me pointers on this project and what a good converter is??

Thanks

Larry
Larry

Offline Dave Nuttall

Re: Converting Midi to mp3
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 06:24:53 AM »
Larry,
With your keyboard's "data list" in hand, download/install Jørgen Sørensen's "MIDI revoicer" and with your PC connected to your keyboard with a USB cable, you can HEAR what you change, then do a QuickRecord from the PC and you'll have your WAV enroute to MP3.

For best/cheapest results of changing WAV to MP3, use Audacity with Lame "plug-in" to export to whatever bit-rate MP3 you want.

PM or email me privately if you need/want one-to-one mentoring.

My email and phone number is in my public profile.

HTH.
Dave

PSR-S910, ProTools 12.x, Cubase AI5, Win10 & MacBook Pro, Digi-003 /Octane 8, BIAB-2016, Sibelius 7.5, MixMaster, PRSUTI, and lonely Baldwin SF-10

Offline Larry Warner

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 11:24:06 AM »
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the input.

I do have two problems  - 1 - I have an old keyboard as it is one of the first psr-2100 out.
                                      2 - The USB port on the keyboard is really useless I believe they put this on
                                            the keyboard just to have something else shown.

Thus I can not make anything more than the midi.

Larry
Larry

Offline Flip

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 01:09:01 PM »
Well...here is how I do it.
1.  Create the MIDI song file......adjust using the Mixing Consol as required.

2.  Now record the MIDI song file into a WAV file.

3.  Copy the WAV file to a USB stick.

4.  Download the WAV file on the USB stick to your computer.

5.  Use one of the many converters on the market to switch the WAV file to an MP3 file.

I do this all the time and then burn CD's.....they burn faster if they are MP3 vs WAV and I do not see any significant quality issues.

I spelled this out in more detail on the Forum a while ago.....and Eileen's DVD also shows the process in detail.

Flip

Offline Larry Warner

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 01:33:31 PM »
Hi lip,

What keyboard do you have?
As mentioned, I have a psr-2100 this does not do anything but midi's
This was made before they started making keyboards to record WAV etc.

Larry
Larry

Offline Flip

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 01:51:22 PM »
Welll I did it on my 900...I now have a T4.  If you have a 2100 I believe you should be able to record in WAV format....I know (I think) I did it on my 2000.  Flip  The 2000 did not have USB capabilities on the floppy and this limited what I could do re recording...except in pure MIDI format.  Flip

Offline Larry Warner

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 02:05:32 PM »
Flip,

If you had a 2000 you could not use a usb flash drive neither can the 2100 nor can they record in WAV, only MIDI.

Larry
Larry

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 02:09:49 PM »
Hi Larry,

As you correctly say, the 2100 is not able to record audio on the keyboard.

You need to play the midi song on keyboard, and record the resulting audio by connecting the Line Out or Aux Out sockets on the 2100 to an external recorder, or computer with a software recorder such as the free Audacity which you can download from the internet.

For the computer option, if your computer does not already have audio inputs, you will need an audio interface to get the audio into it. The leads from the 2100 would plug into this where the audio would be converted into a digital signal and passed to the computer typically via a USB cable.
If the recording method that you use can't record in mp3, you can covert the file into mp3 on a computer with one of a number of free converters available on the internet.

If you use Audacity on your computer to make the recording, then you can 'export' the file as an mp3 directly from the program.

Regards

Ian

Offline Flip

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 04:30:25 PM »
If you can't use a USB on the 2100 then what I said is a no go.....You need to record a MIDI.....record to WAV on the same KB.....copy to a USB the the rest is  the way to get an MP3 file.  I think the 3000 has USB capabilities.  Flip

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 04:35:21 PM »
If you go to this link and download 'Direct midi to mp3'

http://www.pistonsoft.com/download.html

You can do it direct on a computer, it works great (if it is a good midi!) A real piece of cake.
You load your midis in tell it to transfer and it is done.
I think you can transfer 5 midis at the time in the free version and if you buy it, an unlimited amount.

Regards
Dick

PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline Larry Warner

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 08:39:46 PM »
Hi everyone.

I want to thank everyone for the help that has been given me.  It is appreciated very much and
I certainly have plenty of suggestions to work on.

Thanks again,

Larry
Larry