Author Topic: psr-2100 Transpose  (Read 5577 times)

Offline Larry Warner

psr-2100 Transpose
« on: November 16, 2012, 07:22:41 PM »
HELP!!  I want to  transpose a song for singing to the key of "F" but yet keep my master transpose to play in the key of "C"
According to instructioon book you can do this but the book tells me when I push either transpose button three pop-up windows
will appear.  One for Transpose Keyboard- one for transpose Song- and one for transpose Master.
This would be great but only one window appears which is Keyboard.

Can anyone tell me where or how I can get the other two windows to show??  This is the first time I am trying this and need it
Larry

Offline DrakeM

Re: psr-2100 Transpose
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 06:52:14 AM »
Hi Larry,

You have found how to transpose your playing from the key of C to F, this is transposing the KEYBOARD.

If you record your song in the key of C and save it as a MIDI file, you can then hit the same TRANSPOSE key and play the song back in the key of F, this is transposing the SONG.

That's 2 of the 3 explained.

The MASTER transpose ... I don't know what that is ... so you don't need it (IMO) ;D

Regards
Drake

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 07:19:46 AM »
HELP!!  I want to  transpose a song for singing to the key of "F" but yet keep my master transpose to play in the key of "C"
According to instructioon book you can do this but the book tells me when I push either transpose button three pop-up windows
will appear.  One for Transpose Keyboard- one for transpose Song- and one for transpose Master.
This would be great but only one window appears which is Keyboard.
Can anyone tell me where or how I can get the other two windows to show??  This is the first time I am trying this and need it

There is only one window, but you can choose what appears in that window. Go to Function>Controller>Keyboard/Panel>Transpose Assign, and choose which one you want to use.

Regards,
Fred.
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Larry Warner

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 08:32:29 AM »
Hi Drake and Fred,

Maybe I'm trying to do something that won't work.  I want to "Save the song on the disk in the key of "F" .
I have other songs on the disk in the key on "C".  After "Saving the song in the key of "F" I have found this
changed all the "C" songs on the disk to the key of "F"

I take it I canot save the seperate songs in the key I want on the disk as it changes all of the others.  Therefore I must set the
"Key" for each song as I go to play it..  Is this correct?

My Yamaha instruction book states about the mentioned three transpose windows but does not say how
to set them.  Also I only find one as you fellow say.

Larry
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 08:33:33 AM by Larry Warner »
Larry

Offline Larry Warner

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 10:54:07 AM »
Drake and Fred and anyoe else -
Please see attachment and zoom in to read it.  You will see what it says about "3" windows regarding the Transpose for the psr-2100
Larry

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 11:19:28 AM »
Hi Larry,

Item 2 in the Transpose notes actually says "A TRANSPOSE pop-up window, selected via TRANSPOSE ASSIGN, appears". It then shows three examples of how the single window will look.  It never mentions "3" windows.

On your keyboard just one box will appear which says 'KEYBOARD', 'SONG' or 'MASTER' depending on what you have assigned the Transpose function to using the 'TRANSPOSE ASSIGN' option.   If you have never set this yourself, it will show the default setting which is probably MASTER or KEYBOARD but I don't have a 2100 so I can't check. The setting in this box is what will be transposed when you use the Transpose buttons on the panel.

I suspect that you have altered the 'SONG' transpose while trying to change your midi. This will mean that all midi songs will be transposed by this value when you play them on the keyboard, but the midi files themselves have almost certainly not been changed.

Please check the current settings for KEYBOARD, SONG, and MASTER and reset them to O if necessary.  Then try your midi songs on the disk. They should now play back in the key that they were recorded in.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 11:25:02 AM by tyrosaurus »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 11:20:30 AM »
Drake and Fred and anyoe else -
Please see attachment and zoom in to read it.  You will see what it says about "3" windows regarding the Transpose for the psr-2100

We all agree that Yamaha manuals are poorly worded. The manual says "A" transpose window will appear.  That means only one will appear. Which one depends on what's been assigned to it. As the manual shows, you assign which one you want through Function>Controller.

There is no way that saving a song will affect any other song. What you've done is set Song Transpose to  5. This will transpose a song from C to F. And it will apply to all songs played on the keyboard, until you change it.

The transpose button affects the playback of songs. If you want to permanently change the key of a midi file, you need to either record it in that key, or use Song Creator to change the key.

Hope this helps,
Fred.
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 11:26:42 AM »
Larry,

In the upper left corner of the page you posted is the answer to how to see each of the three displas of Transpose.
Only one is ever visible at any given time and that is determined by the setting in this place on your keyboard.  ;)

Oh! And, that still applies to the latest S950 too.

Bill G
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 11:28:58 AM »
Fred,

I believe there is one other way too - registration?

Bill G
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

Offline Larry Warner

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 11:38:16 AM »
Thanks Bill and Fred,

You suggestions etc. are better than the book and shows things more clearly.

Thanks again

Regards
Larry
Larry

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 11:44:57 AM »
Hi Larry,

If you really want to transpose the notes in a midi song file, rather than simply setting the transpose each time you load and play it, here is a link to a 'lesson' on the main PSR Tutorial site.

It shows example screens from a PSR 9000 but the Yamaha keyboard OS is similar on many of their keyboards, so you should be able to follow it on your 2100.

http://psrtutorial.com/lessons/tune/adjSong/Songs7Transpose.html

Regards

Ian

Offline Larry Warner

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 02:49:18 PM »
Hi Ian.
What I'm trying to do is this - I have a style with OTS on my disk.  This I change from "C" to "F" by using the Transpose button.
Now here is the problem, I have other styles with OTS on the disk and they are all set to "C" or "0".
When I save the style that I set the transpose to "F" on the disk, I find that "all" the song styles that were set at "0" or "C" have now
all been changed to "F" also.
How can I stop this from happening?  These are not midi's but song styles.
How can I have maybe 10 song styles on the same disk with different "key" settings?

Regards,

Larry
Larry

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 05:14:29 PM »
Larry,

Your problem is that styles do not remember the transpose settings (they don't remember a lot of other things like pedal settings, either). So you can't do what you want to do with OTS.

What's happening is when you play the styles, they are reacting to the keyboard's transpose setting. If it's 5 (to move from C to F), then you play another style without changing transpose, of course, it will be transposed up 5.

Your choices are:
1. Manually set the transposition after you load your styles;
2. Create a registration to do what you want, as registrations can remember the transposition setting.

Regards,
Fred.

Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Larry Warner

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 05:54:17 PM »
Fred,

Thanks for your information.  I had always set the transpose for songs as I got ready to play them but finally got tired
of doing that.  So I thought I would try to have it inbeded in the song style so when I pushed the button for the song
I was all ready without doing it manually.
All these years, believe it or not I never bothered with registrations never tried them.  Now at 92 you suggest I do that
and that should be a whole new learning curve.  Too bad I did not learn it about 10 years ago.  So I guess I will need
to try that now.

Thanks a million.
Regards,
Larry    Located in Eastern Pennsylvaina
Larry