Author Topic: Recording to USB on the PSR S710 using a midi file too  (Read 2290 times)

Offline markchapman1976

Recording to USB on the PSR S710 using a midi file too
« on: September 16, 2012, 04:12:39 PM »
Hi guys

I hope everybody is well. Ive been busy for a while on my keyboard and working on my website too. Anyway can anybody tell me if its possible to record to my USB stick loading a midi file and playing on top of it too. In other words can i play a midi file and my playing on top and record it to USB obviously it comes as a WAV file but I am planning to convert it to MP3 then loading it to my website.

Many Thanks in advance.  :)

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: Recording to USB on the PSR S710 using a midi file too
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 06:46:51 PM »
Hi Mark,

I don't have a 710 but I assume that the same applies as to my T4.

MIDI songs are loaded in their entirety to an area of reserved memory for playback, which in the case of a 910/710 is 300 KB.
Once they are loaded, the USB drive is no longer needed as far as the MIDI is concerned and the song should be playable even the USB stick containing it is removed.

The audio recorder/player is different in that it seems to use a small area of internal memory as a buffer which only holds a small part of the audio song, and requires continuous connection to the mass storage device (a USB drive in the case of a 910/710, or the internal hard disk in case of a T4) for recording/playback, so that the buffer can be constantly be refreshed. This is the way that the keyboard can handle audio recordings without needing huge amounts of reserved internal RAM.

Therefore I would expect that you could load the MIDI on your 710, then start the audio recorder, finally starting the MIDI song play, which generates sound from the internal tone generator which should be recorded to the audio file.

You might need an external audio recording program or DAW, such as Audacity or Cubase to remove any excess silence at the beginning of the recording, but other than this, I can't see why you shouldn't be able to achieve what you want.

Try it and see what happens. Your original MIDI should be safe even if it doesn't work like I have suggested.

Regards

Ian

Offline Wally Z

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 12:52:26 PM »
Did it work for you Mark? 
Amateur- A person who engages in a study, sport, or other activity for pleasure rather than for financial benefit or professional reasons.
Here's some of my compositions.

Offline markchapman1976

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 12:55:33 PM »
Hi wally

yes it did recording from usb area. thanks

Offline jt

Re: Recording to USB on the PSR S710 using a midi
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 08:05:55 AM »
 I need help with my yamaha psr s710 I want use my fl studio12 bass gutar in to my keyboard to make style ...is this possible  for my keyboard use sound from external ?  ....thanks in advance