Author Topic: Unable to install PR 2100 file utility  (Read 8086 times)

ripande

Unable to install PR 2100 file utility
« on: June 24, 2012, 12:10:04 PM »
Hi all ,

I have lost the CD that came along with my PSR 2100 keyboard.  I needed the File utility to tranfer my files to my PC. However I am unable to find the SW on the Yamaha site.

I browsed throught the previous posts of this site and found one attached. Downloaded and tried to install, but clicking on the utility, does not result in anything happening at all.

My keyboard is connected to my PC and I have installed the latest USB -MIDI driver . I have no clue what the problem is.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong and if it is the problem with the installation provide me with the correct installable.

It will be a big help

Thanks in advance

Ritu

Offline Bill Grosse

Re: Unable to install PR 2100 file utility
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 12:18:55 PM »
download and unzip the attached file.

Bill G
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

ripande

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 11:27:28 AM »
Hi Bill,

Thanks for sharing the utility.

I downloaded the file attached but the result is the same. On double clicking on the File Utility after downloading it, Nothing happens.
I am using Windows XP as the OS. Any pointers would be greatly appretiated

Thanks

Ritu

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 05:16:45 PM »
You need to "Unzip" the file and then install it to your PC.

Bill G

ripande

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 09:55:50 PM »
Let me detail the steps I followed.

1. Downlaoded the file-utility
2. Unzipped it.
3. There was a file utility application file inside.
4. I double clicked on this application file and then nothing happened. ( I assume to install the utility I have to double click this application file? )

Regards,
Ritu

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 03:02:36 PM »
Bill,

Out of interest I downloaded the program as well but are also unable to install it on my XP-computer.
Will this also work for the PSR 2000 with an midi to USB cable connection?

Best regards
Dick
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 12:39:45 PM »
Hi Ripande and Dick,

Just out of interest I downloaded the zip provided by Bill G to see if I could identify the problem that you are having.

After unzipping, the files are contained in a folder called 'File Utility', but this folder itself is within a folder 'File Utility-04'. You need to open 'File Utility-04', then click on the folder 'File Utility', and finally click on the application 'FileUtility.exe' to try and start the program. You need to have the keyboard already connected to the PC before trying to start the program.   I suspect that you are already doing this, but I thought that I would mention it just in case.

When I click on the application on my WIN 7 laptop, nothing appears to happen, but I noticed that a small window titled 'MIDI SETUP' appears.
This program is 'Midi Setup.exe' which on my system is in c:/program files/yamaha/opt tools/midi setup. This must have been installed when I installed either the midi driver or the Tyros Voice Editor software. It appears when the latter is used and must be setup before this program will work.
Have a good look around the screen for this and if it is there, click on the single button on the left of it. A window should open titled MIDI showing any midi devices that are currently connected and available for input and output.  My Tyros appears as Digital Workstation 1 but I don't know if your keyboard will be identified with this name. If your keyboard does not show in this list then it is not connected or installed correctly on the PC.

Click on your keyboard in the list for both input and output devices and click OK.  Then see if the main program starts.

I don't know if this is going to work for you. I couldn't get the File Utility to run even after setting the midi device in 'Midi Setup', but it may be because of the fact that I am using a 64 bit midi driver, or the type of keyboard, or any number of other reasons.  However it might be worth looking for Midi Setup on the screen when you try to start the File Utility. I have attached a screen shot showing it.

Finally, if you have not already discovered it, there is a PDF file with instructions for File Utility in the folder titled 'Module' which is within the 'File Utility' folder.

Regards

Ian

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 09:56:48 PM »
Hi Ian,

I was away for a few days hence the delayed reply.
Thank you for taking the trouble to sort it out. However I can't get it working for my PSR 2000. Indeed nothing happens when I click the .exe file, not even the midi-setup thingy.
I suppose it is not working for my keyboard as I'm using a midi out-in cable with an USB-A connector.

Regards
Dick
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 07:09:26 AM »
dick,

This is a USB "ONLY" utility and will not work on the 2000.

Sorry,

Bill G

Offline Larry Warner

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 07:54:29 PM »
At 92 I am getting a little stupid.  What is the reason for the need of the utility disk file for the psr-2100.
I have had my 2100 since they first came out and have not had any notice of needing this.

Regards,

Larry
Larry

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 08:09:22 PM »
Larry,

I have to tell you, I am also getting kind of long on the toothand it has been nearly 10 years I think since I last used the program and
I think it may have been superceded by the MusicSoft Downloader program.

Bill G
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 08:11:09 PM by Bill Grosse »