Author Topic: Desperate for help on PSR S710!! Saving voices styles etc!!  (Read 16123 times)

Offline markchapman1976

Dear members. Ive spent the last hour working out how to post a comment :-(

I have a PSR S710 and am really struggling with saving voices etc to the correct place..To give you an example i want to have all the songs of Elton.John in one place with all the correct voices at the push of a button..For example sacrifice i need the style 8 beat and piano and suitcase ep voices all saved. The second problem is this. I then want the guitar sound saved towards the end of the song but i do not want it in full.AI keyboard mode i want that in multi finger. The trouble is i have tried saving info in FOLDERS TO USB/USER ETC but it is not working. I have saved two voice combos for daniel in.registration bank 1 but there are only 8 memory banks on the keyboard. I hope i do not sound thick :-( and you understand my.problem. Basically i want to find exactly how to save all memories for various songs with all voices that i have spent a long time thinking about but i do not know where or how. I will need over 100 songs memory as i want to be able to go to a song at the push of a button. Please help.

Thankyou.so much in.advance.

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Desperate for help on PSR S710!! Saving voices styles etc!!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 06:31:50 PM »
You want to create a registration bank (where you use all 8 registrations for one song). Then save the bank in a file (where the file name is the name of the song).

Take a look at the threads in the Registration forum, or the lessons for registrations. Once you get the hang of it, you'll use it for all your files.

Here's a video of how to create and save registrations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTezAE86ftk&feature=plcp

Hope this helps,
Fred.
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline markchapman1976

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 06:51:24 PM »
Dear fred

Thankyou very much. How many songs can i save in total using this method?

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 06:56:43 PM »
Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum.

The way to do what you want is to use Registrations.  You say that there are only eight memory banks. Well all eight registrations can be saved as a 'bank' to either the User area or to USB, and you can have as many as you can store in the space available.  On a Tyros a bank of eight registrations is less than 10 KB in size and I assume that on a 710 it would be no bigger.  Your keyboard has 1.5 MB of internal user memory, but I would recommend that you use a USB stick and save them to this.

You can read about saving registrations to the memory buttons, and saving and recalling registration banks, from page 71 onwards of the User manual.

You say that you have already saved a couple of registrations so you have seen how to do this.  Set up the keyboard voices (and volumes), style, multipad etc. as you want, then press Memory. The group select list that appears when you press Memory is important, because it is here where you specify what settings you want to store in the registration.  Typically you would probably want to store Style, Voice, Tempo etc. To store the Key Fingering you need to make sure that Song is checked too.  When you than press one of the registration buttons the current set up will be saved to it.

One way of organising the registrations, and which sounds as if it might work for you, is to use one bank of eight for each song.  This should give you enough different set ups for one song.  Then if you name the bank with the name of the song, it will be obvious to you what it is for.  You can even name the eight individual registrations in each bank if you want to.  You can set up folders on the USB stick for certain categories to make a bank easier to find and call up. Note that there is a limit of 250 objects in each folder.

Try it and see how you get on.   If you have any more questions, don't be afraid to ask.  There are plenty of very knowledgeable members with 910/710s, who can offer first hand advice.

Regards

Ian

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 07:01:32 PM »
I am posting this request for Mark,

Please help. Im really stuck.OI want to save voices and style settings in memory. For example I start off with the songs of elton john. I have a grand piano and suitcase ep for playing the song. Where do i save all my voices too so i can press one button? I read the manual about creating folders but am stuck. I named a folder Daniel with the two voices saved it to usb etc but when went back it didnt bring the sounds up when i clicked on the folder. Also if i play Sacrifice for example how  or where do i save the backing- 8 beat 1 and first voice piano etc and near the end of song i want a guitar sound played as voice i have created at push of button. I have managed to save voices using registrations 1-8 but need more detailed help!! Im sorry if i sound vague but am so confused. Ive read manual but cannot make sense. In a nutshell i want all the songs of Elton.John.in one place so i can.pull them up at the push of a button to play live. How do i do it? Thankyou so much for letting me become a member bill. I will be elated whemn i get some answers. Kind Regards Mark
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

Offline markchapman1976

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 07:33:54 PM »
Thanks guys brilliant. For your info Daniel.by Elton John sounds lovely with a Grand piano at volume 127 and a suitcase elec piano at 90 volume. Sounds just like Elton plays it live. Any other suggestions would be welcome. Im a elton john.nut :-) I am a decent player just getting to master the keyboard with your help which is fantastic so far. Thanks again.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 07:19:22 AM »
Thankyou very much. How many songs can i save in total using this method?

Mark,

You are limited only by the memory of your device. A 1Gb USB drive can probably hold at least 10,000 songs.

Regards,
Fred.
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline markchapman1976

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 10:38:04 AM »
Well thanks to everybody i am very happy to say that I am now well away with creating and saving registrations. Im happy. Thankyou once again.

Offline markchapman1976

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 01:33:37 PM »
Ok guys a small problem. Ive saved registration 1 memory bank as #Daniel now im on to memory bank 2 calling it sacrifice as i will for next few prob 2-5. When i save to USB or harddrive and name it sacrifice my registration 1 info Daniel has disappeared. When i press J and name the bank i want all songs to come up in a list but they are not yet. Any ideas please? P.s i have erased all previous memory bank data. Thankyou.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »
Ok guys a small problem. Ive saved registration 1 memory bank as #Daniel now im on to memory bank 2 calling it sacrifice as i will for next few prob 2-5. When i save to USB or harddrive and name it sacrifice my registration 1 info Daniel has disappeared. When i press J and name the bank i want all songs to come up in a list but they are not yet. Any ideas please? P.s i have erased all previous memory bank data. Thankyou.

Mark,

Yours is a common complaint. Take a look at the video I posted. It will show you how to save registrations. A picture is worth a thousand words. By the way, you're not saving "registration 1". You are saving all 8 registrations in the file.

Regards,
Fred.
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline markchapman1976

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 02:49:29 PM »
Thanks fred. I will watch it again. Im using 2 songs per registration as not to waste space. My first one is called Danielandsacrifice. What i need to know now please is how to create a newly named second fresh registration. Sorry for confusion. For my next couple of songs.k

Offline markchapman1976

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 03:02:26 PM »
Fred my sincere apologies. I now understand save one lot to USB then power up the keyboard and hold down the B key and start the process again. Is this correct? It makes perfect sense. Can you give me some insight in to how you group all your folders and songs etc please fred? Thanks again.

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 03:40:33 PM »
Mark,

Rather than power down the keyboard every time you want a fresh registation Bank, after
you next do the next reset and before you start to use the blank registration bank, Save it to
your "User" area a "BLANK" registration.
Then each time you want a new regitation, just load this blank one in.  ;)

You can also do a registration reset by way of the Function area of your keyboard - check the
Reference Manual for your keyboard.

These short cuts will be handy and easily remembered the more you do this stuff.

Bill G

nealsaun

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 03:50:16 PM »
I'm using 2 songs per registration as not to waste space.

Hi Mark,
I'll jump into this thread and try to answer some of your questions since I'm an avid user of registrations.

First of all, your statement in your recent post indicates that you are trying to save storage space.  Registration files are VERY small.  So don't worry about wasting space.  As Fred indicated: "You are limited only by the memory of your device. A 1Gb USB drive can probably hold at least 10,000 songs."  So I suggest that you separate your two songs into separate registration banks.  This may help you in the future when you decide to play only one of these songs at a gig, and you don't want to play the other one.

Regarding your question on how to store the various Reg Banks, this can be done in a variety of ways.  I use one Reg Bank per song, and I primarily store them by the fake book that has the song listed in it.  But then, I often make copies of selected Reg banks and paste them into a separate listing for a gig that I am planning to include that song.  Alternately, you can store them by song type (e.g., ballad, C&W, latin, waltz, etc.), by performer (i.e., who was primarily associated with that particular song), tempo (e.g., slow, medium, fast, etc), and any other sorting that you might think of. Since you can easily copy these small files and paste them into other folders, you can make up a wide variety of sorting processes.  And I expect that other forum members will add many other suggestions for how they sort their Reg banks.

I have found that making up a spreadsheet listing all of the songs is very helpful.  This way, each song can be cross-referenced to each of the multiple listings in which it might be included.  Although this type of listing is not necessary when you are first making Registrations, it becomes VERY useful when you accumulate a long list of these banks.  And it is much easier to start out preparing such a list before you accumulate the MANY Registrations that you will eventually develop.

Good luck with your efforts on this---and enjoy your new keyboard.
Neal
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 03:53:49 PM by Neal »

Offline markchapman1976

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 03:53:31 PM »
Thankyou kindly once agin Bill.

Offline markchapman1976

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2012, 04:01:29 PM »
Dear Neal

Thankyou very much that info is SUPERB. One last thing would you happen to know what organ sounds to use to replicate the organ in Fix You by Coldplay would you?

nealsaun

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 12:00:48 AM »
Mark,

I'm sorry to say that I don't know what organ sounds are used in Coldplay's "Fix You".  However, there are some excellent organ players that are active members of this forum.  And I suspect that they will be along within the next few days to help you out on this topic.

Neal

Offline markchapman1976

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 04:24:25 AM »
Great thanks Neal.

nealsaun

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 09:54:28 AM »
Mark,
I have one other important thought about setting up a system for filing Registrations, and that is about the styles used in the Registrations.  The styles MUST be filed in a place that the Reg can find them---both now and in the future.  If you solely use the keyboards built-in styles, then this is very easy since these are always filed in the same place.  But once you start modifying any styles (or using third-party modified styles such as those downloaded from this forum), you need a style filing system that is clear and remains the same for as long as you use the keyboard. If you try changing this filing system in the future, you will break the 'link' between the Reg and the style.  (Remember:  Once the link between the Reg and the style is broken, the Reg can no longer find the style to use, and you will have to manually re-establish that link for each Reg that you have developed---a very time-consuming process.)  So give some careful thought now on how you want to file the various styles that you will be using with your Registrations.

Some forum members file the styles in the same folder as the Registration, and that works fine---most of the time.  But if you want to use the same style with other Registrations, it becomes a bit more complicated.  I personally prefer to file all my styles by the name of the song that it is used for.  So I have a folder titled "Styles--by Song", and I have sub-folders added under that folder that are alphabetically arranged (e.g., A - C, D - F, etc.).  Since each sub-folder can hold up to about 250 styles, this seems to work well for me.  (Keep in mind that if you initially try storing all your styles in the main folder and later decide to add the alphabetical sub-folders, the Reg will not be able to find the style since you have broken the link.)  

There are many other ways that can be used to arrange these styles that you might prefer for your own use.  So give this some thought NOW, and develop a style filing system that you can live with for a L-O-N-G time without changing it in mid-stream.
Neal

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 10:05:02 AM by Neal »

Offline markchapman1976

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 10:27:26 AM »
Dear Neal

Thankyou very much. That is very useful. Glad you told me that :-) Ive started my first ones. I have a foldsr called Elton John Songs then all the songs i want in that folder. I will continue like that i guess? Thanks again.

Offline markchapman1976

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 12:33:27 PM »
I would like to say a big thankyou to everybody Fred, Bill and Neal and others. My new knowledge of registrations has TRANSFORMED MY PLAYING AND PROFFESIONALISM. For example today i set up a registration today for song for guy one of my frite tracks by Elton John. First bank just piano then second piano andrhythm and then 3rd with piano and sirus voice and then last with just bass line of style and piano and strings. It sounds amazing. Registrations have given me a new talent and structure to my playing which i have always wanted. Thankyou. Its essential for live playing and sounding pro.

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2012, 02:01:23 PM »
Yeah - registrations are the real mojo of the Keyboard.  8)

Bill G

Offline markchapman1976

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2012, 02:27:27 PM »
They are indeed Bill :-) Neal i was thinking about your filing advice. I think i will make full use first of the keyboard styles as you can take parts out of a style and get so many infinite possibilities. On that note Bill/Neal is takng parts out of a style regarded as "breaking the link" which causes problems for file purposes? Thankyou.

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2012, 02:50:08 PM »
Mark,

What do you mean "taking Parts Out of a style"?

Bill G

Offline markchapman1976

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2012, 06:41:44 PM »
Hi bill

I mean taking 8 beat 1 for example and just have the bass and rhythm parts playing for example.

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2012, 06:54:35 PM »
Sure you can do that, just turn the parts off with the "Channel ON/Off" buttons and save the settings to a registration button.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2012, 08:33:12 PM »
Mark,

I group my songs by what I call genre: Christmas, singalong, repertoire, etc. I usually store about 100 songs in a folder, because in addition I have styles, multipads and lyrics for those songs.

Hope this helps,
Fred.
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline markchapman1976

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2012, 02:30:58 PM »
Thankyou Fred. There really are infinite possibilities to acheive.

Offline Rachel

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2017, 05:38:51 AM »
Is it possible to save different fingering modes into registration.
i.e Single Fingering to Memory 1 and Fingering to Memory 2 in the same bank
I tried ticking the song box in Memory saving selection, but fingering always stays as previously set and does not change hen I select a new registry previously save with a different fingering mode.
Any ideas if I have missed something.
I am using the PSR S970

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2017, 08:59:19 AM »
Is it possible to save different fingering modes into registration.
i.e Single Fingering to Memory 1 and Fingering to Memory 2 in the same bank
I tried ticking the song box in Memory saving selection, but fingering always stays as previously set and does not change hen I select a new registry previously save with a different fingering mode.
Any ideas if I have missed something.
I am using the PSR S970

Fingering mode us part of a style, not a song. Tick the style box, and fingering will be sVed.

And in the future, start a new thread rather than hijacking an old one.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ