Author Topic: Lightening the load...  (Read 54501 times)

travlin'easy

Lightening the load...
« on: May 25, 2003, 08:33:52 AM »
One of the things we have the tendency to do is accumulate more equipment than necessary, or at least that has been my case. I have two of everything, which not only is expensive, but adds to the burdon of stuff I haul to each music job (gig). Last night I played a mid-size restaurant's bar, which is a room that is only 12 feet wide and about 60 feet long--an entertainer's acoustic nightmare. While the job went just fine, and everyone thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment, it took 8 trips to the van to bring in the equipment. That meant 8 trips of 200 feet through the back of the restaurant, walking through cold, drizzling rain and lugging heavy speakers, amp head, and all the other gear that at the end of the night feels like it doubles in weight.

Last Thursday I visited central New Jersey and met up with two very talented entertainers--Uncle Dave and Donny Pesce, both of whom have lightened the load by a considerable margin. They take a single keyboard, a small notebook computer, a heavy-duty X stand and lightweight speakers. In Donny's setup, the speakers are 15-inch, powered, Barbetta speakers that punch out a walloping 450 watts and were mounted atop stands. Ironically, these incredible sounding speakers only weighed 36.5 pounds, less than the amp head I now carry. Donny and Dave barely work up a sweat packing their gear into the venue, while I get a complete cardiovascular workout.

The bottom line is, next Thursday I headed back to central New Jersey to purchase a pair of Barbetta Sona-32s, and later in the week, I have my laptop computer. Then, there will be a lot of great equipment for sale. I'll post a list of what is being sold, all is in new or excellent condition, and some things have never been used.

If anyone on the forum has tips on ligtening the load, while at the same time retaining the sound quality for playing medium and large gigs, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks,

Gary
  8)

nardoni2002

lightening the load
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2003, 07:10:25 PM »
gary,why not use a trolley,not only lightens the load but it also means you dont have to leave your gear unattended going to and fro from your motor,just a thought,mike

travlin'easy

Lightening the load...
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2003, 08:35:27 PM »
Hi Mike,
I normally use a trolly (dolly) and it does make transporting the speakers easier, however, you must still lift them into the van, take them out of the van, lift them onto the stage, lift them back into the van, take them out of the van when I arrive home, and place them into the office. Essentially, I have to handle each speaker four times for each job. They are so large that only a single speaker will fit on the trolly, and the trolly is a large, heavy-duty model that will hold 600 pounds. Additionally, the amp head, two keyboards, keyboard stand, vocal processor, mic stand, lights and music stand all had to be taken from the van to the job. Overall, it took 8 trips to the van just to unload, then 8 trips to reload the equipment for the trip home. Yesterday, the entire unloading process took four trips, I never broke into a sweat and didn;t need a trolly. Ah yes, life just got easier.

Cheers,

Gary

rattley

lightening the load...............
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2003, 08:51:45 PM »
Hello..........I don't travel with my music gear, but since buying my PSR2000 I find that I don't ever use some of my other gear anymore. I've kept a Yamaha TX81z and QX5 in my setup for sentimental reasons I'm sure. I never use either one anymore. I power them up once a month to see if they still work............
Before buying the PSR2K I loved my Korg i40M controlled by a Yamaha CS2x.  Both of them are sitting in the closet.............
I found a website that had all my favorite Korg styles I used to play on the i40M converted for Yamaha PSR, so I decided.......What the heck!  I listed all 4 on eBay, and with 1 day left on the auctions all but the QX5 has been sold for more money than what I was asking. Now I can get rid of this 4 year old 366 mHZ computer and buy a new screamer! It feels good to "clean house".
Now I am happily content with my music room. The PSR 2000 is now the showpiece, along with a Roland Sound Canvas SC8850, and a 2 manual + 32note pedalboard "pipe organ" all connected to my computer. Life is good.............-charley

travlin'easy

Lightening the load...
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2003, 07:21:35 AM »
Hi Charlie,
Ebay is likely my next step in selling several thousand dollars in equipment and keyboards. The biggest problem is shipping, mainly finding boxes big enough for those monster speakers and keyboards. The Peavey SP5-G's weigh 90 pounds each and they're not easy to handle. I may be able to put them in the local music store on consignment, but I'm not sure. It's gonna' be fun.

Cheers,

Gary
  8)

Scott Langholff

Boxes
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2003, 09:06:48 AM »
Hi Gary

Try music stores to see if they have extra boxes that might work. Other wise there are pak and send places etc that have boxes for sale.  Actually Uhaul probably could help you out.  I would say you could make a bunch more money on ebay.

Scott Langholff

travlin'easy

Lightening the load...
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2003, 04:42:40 PM »
Thanks for the tip Scott. I believe you are right about E-Bay, though I've never used their service, everyone tells me that it is perfectly safe, the music equipment brings top dollar and it goes fast. I hope to look into it tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Gary
  8)

Offline panda

Re: Lightening the load...
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 12:43:40 AM »
Gary...you started his thread 11 years ago in 2003. Look how far you went ever since! I am sure you are 100x wiser now than you were in 2003  ;D

Here is my take on how to lighten the load and Set up time:

1) 2 x BEHRINGER B115D Active Loudspeakers - Very lightweight yet packs a mighty punch. 450w RMS, 1000W peak! Way more power than needed for most folks here.

2) A SMALL BEHRINGER Mixer.

3) ROCK n ROLLER CART - I think the Micro 2R is adequate for most of the one man acts to transport these equipments.

Of course...you also have to carry 2 Speaker STands and 1 Mic Stand....plus whatever Cables necessary.

Also not forgetting POWER CABLE Extension board.

SO there. That will make setting up a breeze. A very lightweight system yet easy to setup and mover around.
Less is More!.

Online travlin-easy

Re: Lightening the load...
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 07:47:27 AM »
Panda, I switched to the Bose system several years ago, much lighter, incredibly clear, extremely powerful and unsurpassed sound dispersion. I would hate to think what the Bose systems cost in your part of the world.

Cheers,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...