Author Topic: PSR3000 FIRMWARE UPDATE  (Read 23183 times)

Offline psrguy

PSR3000 FIRMWARE UPDATE
« on: February 21, 2010, 12:50:54 AM »

Can i use the USB flash drive that has all the Styles, Midi Files, MFD etc etc. to update the firmware from 170 to 180 ?

OR

do i need to trash all the files on the USB flash drive first, install the firmware to the USB  and then use the USB to update the PSR3000?

Clever Illustrations of Everyday Sayings

http://imgur.com/gallery/x3rSK

Offline Ernie

Re: PSR3000 FIRMWARE UPDATE
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 02:16:59 AM »
Hi psrguy

You can update from your usb drive.
Be shure the upgrade files are in the root of the usb stick

regards
Ernie

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 07:34:39 AM »
psrguy,

What is meant by the "Root" of a drive means not in any folder.  8)
The keyboard is able to sort the needed update files from any others, so no need to clean off all your files.
There does need to be enough room for the update files on the USB stick though.  ;)

Bill G
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 07:35:54 AM by Bill Grosse »
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

Offline psrguy

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 10:36:16 AM »
Thank you Gentlemen.

Stand by for the screaming of OH BOY or OH NO.

Offline psrguy

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 11:30:03 AM »
Troubles:

Using my Macintosh flash drive reader copied the 6 installer programme files to my USB flash drive to the root level.

Plugged in the USB flash drive to the device terminal of the PSR3000 ( not thru a HUB ) and holding down the start/stop button turned on the power and kept holding down the start/stop button and the message system booter v2.02 reads "installer program not found".

Obviously i am doing something wrong.

Help required please.

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 11:45:08 AM »
Are you holding down the correct Start/Stop Button?

The button you want is the "Style" start/Stop button.  ;)

Bill G

Offline psrguy

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 11:57:55 AM »
image from yamaha's pdf install instructions:

in the lower left area of keyboard of Style Control : Sync Stop Sync Start START/STOP

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 12:03:03 PM by psrguy »

Donhoe

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 12:49:10 PM »
Mine would only update through the "Smart Media" card

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 12:54:14 PM »
You may have to copy the files to the SM card, then try the installation procedure.

Good Luck,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 01:03:52 PM »
Hi

As far as I remember update through USB is only possible if you run version 1.60 - or higher.

If you run lower versions the only possibility for updating is through the SmartMedia card.

Regards
Jørgen

The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

MrKeys123

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 03:33:44 PM »
Hi psrguy,

I'm having the same problem as you, but I have 1.04 OS, so that may be even worse.  I tried the USB 2 gig and it didn't see it, and asked for the 'card'.  I have my question right after yours.  I just don't know how to get the files onto the smart card.  I too have a Mac, but let's not get into that right now, cause I just joined this 'club' and I don't want to get booted out the same day, by mentioning how the Mac is far better than, ... uh oh, I almost said it.  Never mind you PC guys... I was just kidding!

I did find this site:  http://www.delkin.com/shop/product.php?productid=310&cat=59&page=1

which is the company of my 'smart card' and it seems like they have a reader for @ $20.00 which isn't bad, but I just want to do it now!  But, if this works, I'll be happy and will also yell out with you, "OH BOY"

Hope this helps, and remember, no matter how bad things get, ... 'We have a Mac'!!!  ;)

Robert

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 03:40:47 PM »
Robert,

I answered your question about the upgrade at your other question.

We have many members using the Mac and the type computer you use is of no concern here.  ;)

If you have a USB connection from your computer to the keyboard, you can copy the files straight to the SmartMedia card.

Bill G

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 04:07:08 PM »
When I tried using MS Download the PC failed to see the keyboard's SM card. I had to purchase an inexpensive card reader, which allowed me to copy the 6 files directly to the SM card, then placed it in the keyboard and upgraded the OS to 1.8.

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline psrguy

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 05:42:15 PM »
Hi psrguy,

, ... 'We have a Mac'!!!  ;)

Robert

Thank you Robert. Albeit if you have an intel you can run Windows and or Linux and or all three.

So hang on Robert we both may get booted into somewhere land. Nah, just kidding everyone.

Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha you are making me mad. Their pdf instructions only refer to a USB device no mention about using a smart card. :'( :'(

« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 06:00:30 PM by psrguy »

Offline psrguy

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 05:50:22 PM »

If you have a USB connection from your computer to the keyboard, you can copy the files straight to the SmartMedia card.

Bill G

I will have to work on that one in my mind i.e. usb cable from what port of the PSR to the USB port ( via hub ) to the Mac.

Now if i have to i can sign into PC mode in my Mac but i don't think i need to because the data is the same in either platform.

Now, where is that Yamaha tech guy when you need him. As i noted in a post to Robert the pdf refers to using a USB device however i admit i never read all the instructions  ;D because i just wana up date the firmware and yell OH BOY. ;D ;D

Offline psrguy

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 06:05:46 PM »
Hi

As far as I remember update through USB is only possible if you run version 1.60 - or higher.

If you run lower versions the only possibility for updating is through the SmartMedia card.

Regards
Jørgen

My PSR has the factory 1.7 firmware.

Still unable to use the USB method of updating the firmware from 170 to 180.

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 06:07:44 PM »
The problem with the Mac is that the Yamaha Musicsoft Downloader does not run on a Mac.  :'(

Sorry!

The USB cable is the same as a printer USB cable - has a square plug on one end for the keyboard and a flat plug on the other for the PC or Mac.
You also need to install the appropriate USB driver for your PC.

Bill G

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 06:09:44 PM »
If you have version 1.7, then there is something wrong with your USB stick or the files, not your keyboard.

Make sure you do not have U3 on that USB stick - it will get in the way.

Bill G

Offline psrguy

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2010, 07:32:11 PM »
If you have version 1.7, then there is something wrong with your USB stick or the files, not your keyboard.

Make sure you do not have U3 on that USB stick - it will get in the way.

Bill G

That could be Bill.

Reformatted the USB drive using the PSR utility and  installed the 1.8 updaters. Tried again with the same message.

It could be the USB stick.

I've got another USB stick that i reformat etc etc.

And if that fails then will visit  my local Yamaha dealer and ask him to load the smartcard.

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2010, 07:59:43 PM »
Sounds like a plan - you can not get rid of the U3 program on a USB stick with a simple format - the
U3 program has to be removed with a program from the USB stick maker.
When you plug in the USB stick ONLY in your keyboard and press the button (A) to load a song, how
many USB drives do you see with page tabs at the top of the display?
If you see "Preset","User", USB1, USB2 and "Card", then you have U3 on the stick and you can not access the Root of the stick.

Bill G

Offline psrguy

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2010, 08:31:33 PM »
Bill,

I unplugged my USB hub and plugged in only the USB stick.

Pressed button (A) and then pressing the right> TAB button we have Preset, User, Card, and USB 1 ( and not showing anything although the firmware has been loaded to the USB stick ).

So that stick has the dreaded U3 ?

Please say NO.

It's a 128MB Lexar "jump drive".

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2010, 08:46:29 PM »
Doesn't look like it has the dread U3, but I have to say I haven't tried all Brands
of USB sticks and some may not show the second USB2 tab.

We have had many folks experience the difficulties you have had with this upgrade, but
we have been successful in helping every single one so far.

We have a good many members with the 3000 and your difficulties with this are truly mystifying.  ???

I think you should take the card to your Yamaha dealer or even Best Buy can copy the files to the smart card.

Sorry we haven't been able to solve this one.

There is maybe one last possibility - does your SmartMedi have a on/off switch or a protection tab - some do.  ???

Bill G
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 08:48:25 PM by Bill Grosse »

Offline psrguy

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2010, 09:41:43 PM »

There is maybe one last possibility - does your SmartMedi have a on/off switch or a protection tab - some do.  ???

Bill G

Ah good thought Bill.

No because i can add and delete from that USB flash drive.

I do have a USB flash drive with a hard to see/find switch that gave me troubles when i first used it in the PSR but someone here told me about that switch.

I'm still going to try the second USB flash drive but i'll leave that for tomorrow morning.

thank you Bill.

Offline psrguy

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2010, 10:26:53 AM »
  OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY  :) 
:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ i forgot to remove "the card" before running the update on the USB stick :-[ :-[

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2010, 10:53:13 AM »
For crying out loud - who would have thought it?  :o

Thanks for the update and now we know for future reference.

Bill G

Offline psrguy

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2010, 11:44:32 AM »
For crying out loud, indeed Bill, and it came to me feeble brain at 3am today.

However, I created a nightmare with my USB sticks that i zeroed out but i'll create another thread for that headache. (it just never ends)

MrKeys123

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2010, 02:26:59 PM »
Hey psrguy...

So glad you solved your upgrade issue!!!  That's the thing about these issues, ya just have to 'think' of every little thing that 'we' may be doing to 'upset' the KB or program or wiring, etc.  It's fun though, (now that it's over I guess), but we have plenty of terrific people here to help, and I've learned more things while looking for my upgrade answer.  I'm still not there yet, but getting closer.  Again, I'm so glad you solved yours, and as you say, it never ends.  But, that's the fun part!   :D

Robert

Offline psrguy

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2010, 06:24:05 PM »
And, what I love about this forum are folks here that have helped and encouraged me regardless of how dumbaaaa my questions have been in my quest to make music.

Offline grsale

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2017, 06:08:08 PM »
I see this topic evaporated seven years ago!!  I cannot believe everyone was successful in updating their PSR3000 firmware!
I cannot find any references in my manual to even see which version I have installed, let alone find updates and installation guides.

My issue today is that in trying to migrate from SmartCard to USB, I've lost all my files!!  All are visible in my Win10 USB folders on my very up-to-date PC, but on the PSR, only the folder names show up - no files.  I stupidly re-formatted my SmartCard on the PSR, which seemed to go well, and re-loaded from my PC, but still no style or other files.
If there's anyone still out there, Help!

Online Roger Brenizer

"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Offline grsale

« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2017, 01:56:10 PM »
Done!  Very much appreciated!  My keyboard is now v1.8, thanks!

However, after the successful software update (for which I bought a new/used 32Mb smartmedia card), while the PSR Preset/User/CARD screen displays the three folders which contain all the additional styles I've been able to collect, selecting any of the folders generates a blank display:  none of those style files now show up.  I'm wondering if it has anything to do with they're all being .sty files, which, on my PC, default to being shown as BandInABox files.

Prior to the update, the folders opened as expected on the PSR, and played A-OK.  Any thoughts?  Could the smartmedia card have undergone some sort of re-formatting by my PC during the transfer of the v1.8 software, and now cannot be read by the PSR style file system?

Thanks
Geoff