Author Topic: Guidelines for Posting  (Read 29261 times)

Offline Joe W

Guidelines for Posting
« on: June 27, 2008, 07:48:06 PM »
Guidelines for Posting

This forum is devoted to music news and issues relating to Yamaha PSR and Tyros Arranger keyboards.  Postings related to completely off topic issues, such as politics or culture, do not belong in the PSR Tutorial Forum.

Members must be polite and courteous at all times. Posts (or Emails sent from the forum) that contain rude or foul language, are argumentative, or criticize others are not permitted and can result in membership termination.

When responding to a posting, please stay on the subject of the thread.  If you would like to introduce a new subject, you are free to do so, but put the topic in whatever board seems most appropriate.  This will make it much easier to find relevant information later.

Members may use the “Classified Ads” board to post messages about music-related items they have to sell.  While anyone my refer to particular vendors in their messages, commercial advertising, solicitation, or links are not permitted on this site.

The forum encourages use of attachments as a way of sharing files and information. Allowed extensions (file types) include txt, doc, pdf, jpg, jpeg, gif, mpg, png, sty, mid, zip, wmv, mp3, vce, rgt, mfd, xls, rtf and zip (where virtually anything can be placed).  Maximum attachment size allowed is 7 MB.  Up to 5 attachments (totaling no more than 35 MB) are allowed for a single posting.

You may not include any copyrighted material in any attachments. If you have purchased, for example, style or midi files from somewhere, you can not distribute them freely by providing them as an attachment to your message.  If you have material that would be inappropriate to include as an attachment, it is also inappropriate to offer to email the material to anyone who wants it.

If you have material you would like to share, but it is too large for an attachment, feel free to send it to Joe Waters (jpwaters@gmail.com) and it can be posted in the forum or on the main site where it will be available for anyone to download.

There are a variety of internet sites that allow users to freely upload files they want to share with the world.  Forum members who wish to share MP3 files, which tend to be very large, are encouraged to use these external resources to upload and store their files. They can then provide a link to their music in one of the PSR Tutorial “Perfomance” boards.  Users who wish to comment on member posted songs are encouraged to do so via Email; the Performance boards are not meant to provide group discussions on playing ability.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 08:43:29 AM by Joe W »
-- Joe Waters
Tyros5
PSR Performer Page

VILLAFANE55

Re: Guidelines for Posting
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 06:02:26 PM »
Hello Mr. Joe W.
s you know I am a newbie. Would you believe I can't for the life of me figure out how to post even though I read the instructions? I'd also like to post some recordings. Please help me and thank you.
Diana in Puerto Rico

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 08:03:54 PM »
Diana,

Just below the box where you type your message text you'll see Additional Options . Click on that and you find a browse option that allows you to upload your file.

Good Luck,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

VILLAFANE55

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 02:48:39 AM »
Hello Gary.
Joe W sent me the Posting Guidelines but that wasn't very helpful. I had already read them. What I needed was specific instructions and you provided them.
Thank you very much. 
My files are mp3s. I am baffled about why the posting guidelines say they tend to be large because in order to e-mail my recordings I have to change them from wav. files to mp3s because wav.s are really large! I'm sure I must be missing something...
I will post a song or two soon and let's see how it goes...
Diana

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 06:18:52 AM »
Diana,

Even MP3's are some times a little to large to post here.
You will notice many members post their songs on Box.net, a free service, and post a link to the songs here.
There are other data storage sites on the net and they offer a limited amount of free storage space usually sufficient for a few songs.

Bill G
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 07:31:08 PM »
Diana,

When you click Additional Options if you look beneath that line you will see Attach and a box that says Choose File. Click that box, then browse to the MP3 file on your computer. The maximum file size allowed is 5,000 KB (5-megabytes). Depending upon your MP3 compression ratio, generally speaking, that's a pretty large MP3 file. After selecting the file, then click the post button at the bottom of the page. That's all there is to it.

Good Luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

VILLAFANE55

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 06:36:47 PM »
Hello Gary.
I tried uploading files 2 MB size and the site told me they were too large. I will look up Box.net.
Thank you.
Diana

VILLAFANE55

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 06:39:00 PM »
Thank you Bill G. i will try your suggestion.
Diana

mhana2010

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 04:25:09 AM »
to Mr. joe w.
dear sir
i am your friend muhannad
this is the first time i write to you
i am 51 years old now,but i would like to tell you that i have my 1st yamaha at 1977
when i was a college student ,a member of  my univercity big band
i am chief engineer now but i still love playing YAMAHA
so  i have now  both  YAMAHA PSR A-1000,PSR-OR 700
THEY ARE BOTH (oriental)
dear sir
ihave download about 500,000 style from your site (PSR TUTORIAL),&OTHER SITES
i have many many ideas  to tell YAMAHA corp. what the players need in the next generation
from yamaha
pleas tell me how can i send my ideas   to my lovely YAMAHA
TANK YOU VERY MUCH
SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH
YOURS
 MUHANNAD

Offline MBedesem

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 04:52:35 AM »
Muhannad:

Welcome to the forum. 

There is no best place that I know to post comments. Here is the official contact address: http://www.global.yamaha.com/support/contact.php

Yamaha England is very active in development issues and I suspect that they monitor http://www.yamahapkowner.com/forum/index.php .

Regards,

Michael

mhana2010

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 06:08:58 AM »
dear Michael
thank you so much
i have another qustions if you dont mind
1-if you are perform or creat a new psr style
how can i tell you my notes about it(after i try it on my psr-OR 700 ??)
2- when can i found  oriental  styles??
thank you again
muhannad

Offline MBedesem

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 07:00:55 AM »

1-if you are perform or creat a new psr style
how can i tell you my notes about it(after i try it on my psr-OR 700 ??)

I am sorry, I do not understand what you are asking. Please explain.

2- when can i found  oriental  styles??

I do not know. Perhaps someone else will respond?

thank you again
muhannad

Bruno 123

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 01:03:31 AM »
Joe,
I have recorded 13 songs, easy listening. The songs are in Mp3 format and also as midi files. The lyrics of the songs are included in a separate folder. I uploaded all the above to Box.net.

I would like to post these songs to this forum what is your suggestion for the best way to post them?

John C.

Click here to download.

http://www.box.net/shared/4hgpjc9l5l

Beresford

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 02:42:06 AM »
Oh Lord why do all things PC & electronic always seem so difficult?

First of al I want to say "Hello" to you all from Chichester here in the UK.
I have a number of different keyboards - some now very old, on which I have never made very much of the MIDI facilities. That is beyond connecting them together, which enables one to play another and itself.

I have a friend in Canada who now beseeches me to get on-line and make the most of all that which is out there.
Now I have arrived here on your forum because you were recommended by someone on another site. He said "Those Yamaha boys have all the answers." Let's hope he's right!

Whether or not you do, I must first apologise for being a bit thick. For a start I don't think this is quite the right way to make a post. However, I can't find an alternative way in. Along with that, I fully expected that my basic queries would have been dealt with in the forum at the beginning of time, but you know, my searches all miss the mark.

So let me begin by saying that I have the most awful difficulties getting my Scaleo Pentium 4 PC with 3.5GB RAM and 150GB of free HDD and running Windows XP Pro to exchange via any of my USB MIDI interfaces. I have two. One is a M-Audi-Sport USB Quattro, the other a USB to MIDI device I purchased over the internet.
{As an aside I also can & do run the UBUNTU operating system}

After a lot of time trying to get my Casio to talk I turned to the Yamahas. I downloaded MIDI-OX softwrae and "bingo" I can download and play MIDI files. But I cant up-load and capture even though I can see the data on the screen. Surely this means that the USB device is working EVEN THOUGH I have to reverse the IN/OUT leads to match rather than cross-over - which is the normal recommended way to do it.
Whatever I do I cannot get the Quattro interface to work.

So the I tried Music Creator Software. Still no good. Yes I see the Quattro and the other hardware is on the list. I have tied absolutely every combination but get nowhere. I also have casio software. It runs but cannot exchange over the USB, reporting "MIDI TIME_OUT"

I'll finish by saying that I have spent days if not weeks on playing around with this. Several times I have given up altogether. This could be my very last shot at it. Let's hope you can deal with this method of posting and provide me with some answers.

So can someone please recommend to me suitable software & drivers that will run General MIDI via USB on Windows XP Pro. {Or UBUNTU}

Whatever happens I thank you for your time and interesting donations.

Regards,
Beresford

Offline MBedesem

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 05:40:00 AM »
Beresford:

Some questions: What Yamaha instrument do you have, does your computer have a USB port, and what operations are you looking to do with the Yamaha?

Regards,

Michael

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 08:01:39 AM »
Beresford,

Welcome to the forum and hopefully your OASIS IS FOUND.  :D :D :D

We can be very helpful here and do not easily give up on problem solving.  :o
The MIDI interface you purchased over the internet may be a device like the one I
recently purchased, which was a Hong Kong knock off and faulty manufactured.
The MIDI cables were wired in reverse and the Input side to the PC had so much
noise on channel 1 it was unusable.

As Michael has stated we need to know which model keyboard you have and a
bit more detail about your PC. If you do not have a Yamaha keyboard, we may still
be able to help if you can tell us more about the keyboard you do have.

As to which area of the forum to post in, just post your questions in the MIDI Files and Setup section.

Regards,

Bill G

Offline rizkhancnn

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 02:53:10 AM »
Hi,
one thing i dont like technically in this forum is when you post reply and in the background if your logged in time is expired, your whole reply gets lost. there shoud be a way to get to same page if a session ended.
thanks...

tnicoson

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 03:53:59 AM »

Kamran

When you log in, you should have a choice of two options, one that keeps you logged in forever and one that keeps you logged in for only 60 minutes.

Regards,

Ted

Offline ffilipo

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2014, 09:57:32 AM »
what format should II use to upload songs--midi or wav file??????????

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 09:59:57 AM »
what format should II use to upload songs--midi or wav file??????????

Midi for songs posted to this forum.

WAV files are normally too big to post here, so most people open a Box account, and post the link.

Regards,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline ffilipo

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2014, 08:11:46 AM »
fred
who should I send my midi files to???

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2014, 09:33:35 AM »
fred
who should I send my midi files to???

When you create a post, click on Additional Options... One of the options is to attach a file.

Fred.
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Lucy D-B

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2015, 06:55:30 PM »
I cannot see how to post a message to the forum as this is my first attempt to do that, so I am sending my very urgent request here.  Hope that's OK.  I inadvertently turned the power off while I was deleting files from my Tyros 4.  Now I receive a message "Improper shutdown.  Back up data and/or user files have been lost".  Desperately need help as I have someone coming tomorrow to look at this instrument with a view to purchase because I have just taken delivery of my Tyros 5.  Can anyone help me ???

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2015, 07:49:30 PM »
Lucy,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble caused by a improper shutdown.

In view of the fact you were deleting files, i assume you did not want to leave any user files on the Tyros hard drive - that being the case - you can use the format disk command to reformat the hard drive for a fresh start.

See page 101 in the Owners Manual for how to do the format.

Hope this will get you going.

Since you are selling the Tyros, I would not worry about loosing any information in the "User" area as the keyboard does not come with any information there.

Bill G

Offline Lucy D-B

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2015, 09:46:30 PM »
Bill, Thank you so much for responding.  Problem is that I cannot access ANYTHING on the Tyros 4.  All buttons and indicators are blank.  The only thing that comes up is the initial screen with Tyros written on it and overlaid on that is the message "Improper shut down.  Backup data and/or user files have been lost".  I was trying to take off a lot of the styles I had installed, and also wanted to take my name off the owner's area.  Can't believe that I switched off the wrong power switch.  I had just set up the Tyros 4 in my sewing area for the prospective buyer to inspect tomorrow,  and thought the switch I turned off was for my sewing machine.  Oh dear, have I made a mistake of the greatest magnitude??
Lucy

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2015, 03:01:13 AM »
Hi Lucy,

If the keyboard detects this problem on startup, it should display the message and then attempt to restore the USER drive and initialise the backup data.

How long did you leave the keyboard on after seeing the message?

Try removing any USB sticks connected to the keyboard, then switch it on and leave it for a few minutes to see if it can restore the User drive. You will probably lose files that were saved to the drive but it should eventually start up.

If the keyboard still does not start up fully, the service manual says 'the back up flash ROM (IC23) might be defective'.  If this chip has been damaged then it will probably need replacing. Since the chip is on the main DM board, this could be expensive given the usual practice these days of simply replacing whole circuit boards to effect a repair instead of changing individual components!

Hopefully though it may not come to that!

Regards

Ian

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2015, 05:47:53 AM »
Lucy,

One more thing that can cause this is a defective hard drive.
The keyboard does not need the hard drive to work, so you can just unplug it and see if it will finish starting up.

Hard drives are not very expensive and easily replaced by you - just check your owners manual.

Be sure to unplug your keyboard before unplugging the hard drive.
I would also unplug all other devices from the keyboard until you get a good start up.

Bill G

henry121

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2016, 05:22:21 AM »
hi is it possible in the future if we can post .kar files songs on psr tutorial site as there is no support for the exetension on the site just now
many thanks from henry

Offline Roger Brenizer

• PSR Performer
  • Administrator
  • Tyros 4, Electone HS-8T, Accordion, Piano, Guitar
    • Roger's PSR Performer Page
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2016, 09:54:09 AM »
Hi Henry,

I have contacted Joe Waters about this matter, via email, because I saw your other post and responded to you there also; however, he's still on vacation.  I'm sure he will respond as soon as he returns from his trip and has time to catch up with everything on PSR.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Offline johnkay333

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2016, 09:26:35 AM »
Hello. I am probably being incredibly stupid but I cannot see how to post in a forum.
I cant see a button saying "Post". I would appreciate simple instruction of how to post.
I want to request advice about my PSR 3000 firmware in the appropriate forum

Kind regards
JOhn

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2016, 09:52:12 AM »
Hello, John!

I assume you aren't talking about posting a reply to an existing thread, since you've just done that.

If you want to start a new thread in a forum, you must first go to the specific forum you want to post in, and then you should see a "New Topic" button above the list of existing threads. There's a similar button below the list.

You won't see the "New Topic" button while you're inside of an existing thread.

Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

henry121

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2016, 02:51:21 AM »
how do i delete my post  if i wrote it wrongly

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2016, 06:46:55 AM »
how do i delete my post  if i wrote it wrongly

Read the responses to your posts. You were told there how deletion works.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

henry121

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2016, 11:48:03 AM »
oppps sorry man
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 11:52:12 AM by henry121 »