Author Topic: Microphone and harmonies questions  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Rcjwhiting

Microphone and harmonies questions
« on: December 01, 2022, 04:10:54 PM »
Hello again. Yet more new user questions, this time relating to mic and vocal harmonies on my new PSR SX900.

When I set up my mic level, starting with the gain knob on the back of the keyboard, I am surprised that I am unable to make the mic level indicator get beyond occasional yellow, even when singing at the top of my lungs directly into the mic (a Sure SM58 Beta and the phantom power switch is off). I cranked up all the gain adjustments I could find - microphone section, mixer, played with compressor etc. I could get it to be “loud enough” but this doesn’t leave any headroom for adapting to a room.

The 2nd issue is the vocal harmonies cut in and out when switched on. I concentrate on singing directly into the mic, so it is not a directional or distance issue. I’ve sung professionally for years, so know what to expect from this mic - this seems different.

One final note - a gripe with Yamaha. Why in earth did they put a 1/4 phone jack for a dual use mic/guitar input? Why not the dual phone/XLR input found on the Genos? I know it’s a cheaper model, but for $2K+ for a keyboard it seems liking cutting corners unnecessarily. No self respecting vocalist I know would volunteer to use a 1/4” input.

I hope that these are issues related to my inexperience with this fantastic keyboard.

Thanks,
Rich

Offline Rcjwhiting

Re: Microphone and harmonies questions
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 04:29:16 PM »
Small correction - mic is a Shure Beta 58A. And the noise gate is off.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 04:38:33 PM by Rcjwhiting »

Offline mixermixer

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 05:14:23 PM »
Yeah it's odd and quirky how Yamaha implemented the Mic input. Especially weird since you can't get a decent level with your Beta 58a, since that mic is known to be more sensitive so you shouldn't need to have alot of mic gain. One thing to check is to make sure it's set to mic and not guitar i think and also don't use TRS, you have to use XLR to TS otherwise your signal will be really low.

Offline Rcjwhiting

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 06:05:16 PM »
Thanks MixerMixer - turns out my cable is TRS. Input is definitely set to vocals not guitar. Guess I’ll have to try to get a TS cable with the female XLR on the other end.

Do you think the Vocal Harmony issue could be related to the same thing? Would be great if I could kill 2 birds with one stone!

Thanks, Rich

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 07:12:47 PM »
Hi Rich,

If you have some experience soldering audio cable connectors, you can easily modify the existing cable yourself: To change a balanced "XLR female to TRS" cable to unbalanced, either bridge pins 1 (ground) + 3 (minus phase) inside the XLR female connector or bridge Sleeve (ground) and Ring (minus phase) contacts inside the TRS plug. Also see the attached picture.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 12:07:18 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 08:13:49 PM »
I've had good luck with Hosa branded cables I've bought. Not the most expensive, but generally of decent quality and have been reliable for what I use them for.
https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-PXF-110-XLR3F-Unbalanced-Interconnect/dp/B000068NYN

Amazon also has other brands that appear to have origins in China that are well rated.

Offline Rcjwhiting

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 12:42:25 AM »
Thanks Chris. I’m afraid my soldering skills are very rusty and never very good to begin with. Thank you for the suggestion. I’ve got a TS cable coming in the mail.