Author Topic: Yamaha HX1 dual keyboard finish  (Read 3314 times)

Mike2

Yamaha HX1 dual keyboard finish
« on: December 01, 2022, 03:20:11 PM »
I don't play organ but my church still has the Yamaha HX1 dual keyboard/pedal synth/organ, must be over 30 yrs. or so. This organ still sounds awesome, if you know the settings.  My question is, why can't Yamaha make keyboards today with this durable finish. It still still looks great.  Just curious..

The following users thanked this post: MadrasGiaguari

Offline terryB

Re: Yamaha HX1 dual keyboard finish
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 04:36:57 PM »
I remember a shop in my city having a HX1 back in 1988 'ish, and it was massive money, something like £13,000 compared to a HS6 two manual / pedals organ which retailed at approx £3000, and a single manual keyboard of the day something like £600. What would an HX1 be today ? something between £50,000 to £100,000 ?  ???

Cheers Terry

Offline mixermixer

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 05:09:45 PM »
All about money. Metal chassis would be nice but heavy. Yamaha could have replicated the finish of Montage and copy it to Genos but only Yamaha knows why they didn't do that...

Offline andyg

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 05:40:52 PM »
All about money. Metal chassis would be nice but heavy. Yamaha could have replicated the finish of Montage and copy it to Genos but only Yamaha knows why they didn't do that...

Yes, remember how much the HX-1 was back then, and how much that would be today.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline NAMA

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 05:59:30 PM »
This is the modern version: PSR-SX700 combined with M-Audio keystation MK3 in a nice cabinet. I have this for sale in The Netherlands.
Bert

[attachment deleted by admin]
Never too old to learn.
Genos,Korg K49 and CVP709PE

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 06:39:12 PM »
I must say this PSR-SX & M-audio combo looks very cool -also a nice decoration in bigger living room.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: NAMA

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 09:44:52 PM »
The HX1 contained one of the nices Key-Beds Yamaha ever made.
Followed by the Key-Bed of 9000Pro.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 09:45:53 PM by Graham UK »
DGX670

Offline mixermixer

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2022, 02:09:46 PM »
This is the modern version: PSR-SX700 combined with M-Audio keystation MK3 in a nice cabinet. I have this for sale in The Netherlands.
Bert

That would most likely be a better combo than what Yamaha released in the Electone range recently, forgot what model it was but it was white and very compact/plastic.

tyrosman

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2022, 01:28:12 PM »
i Had the HX1with full pedal board 2 swell pedals and 2 KA 40Speakers all in all it was £14000 :)

Offline svpworld

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2022, 11:48:32 AM »
Most probably the same reason that they haven't recreated the mighty CS80 or GX-1, cost and market. The organ and keyboard market is extremely small, even when compared to professional synthesisers. Hence in order for companies to manufacturer something like the Genos, they need to maximise the profit margin. I'm glad though they didn't build the Genos like a Montage as I can only just about manage to carry it in a heavy duty padded case to church!  Any heavier I'd need a roady. The same goes for the keyboard action, higher quality keybeds add significant weight to keyboards. These days it's much cheaper to use computer chips and ROM, rather than discrete circuitry. Once the initial development costs have been factored in, the software and digital content can be reused across a wide range of products. I still have my Yamaha PS30, one if not the first of Yamaha's portable keyboards. It's packed with discrete analogue circuitry and there are more PCBs than in a Genos. Build quality is excellent, even if by modern day standards it sounds incredibly basic and cheesy.  I recall back in the early 80s that keyboard cost around £400, which in today's money is about £1600.  The only reason we have amazing sounds and features in today's keyboards is down to low cost manufacturing, microprocessors and technology that has developed across many other platforms (non-musical). I remember also back in the 80s my family had a B405 Yamaha Electone double manual organ.  Seem to recall that cost around £1800 then (about 1983) and it weighed 50kg!  Adjusted for inflation that would now be £5600, more than the price of a Genos! 
I'm sure if arranger keyboards were as popular as smartphones we would see some very innovative developments, but I am happy that manufacturers like Yamaha and Korg are still building some amazing sounding instruments.

Simon

« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 10:40:03 AM by svpworld »