Author Topic: Basic Registration storage/recall question  (Read 2137 times)

Offline Rcjwhiting

Basic Registration storage/recall question
« on: November 29, 2022, 04:17:39 PM »
New SX 900 owners hear with what I hope is a stupidly easy question to answer. I am trying to set up and save registrations with basic voices - no styles - mostly left hand bass (either acoustic or electric) and a variety of voices in the right hand.

I’ve gone through the steps of saving the registration to memory, pressing the registration +/- together to call up the bank select and named each of three separate banks. But when I call them up, they are all the same as the first one I registered.

I have poured over the manual, endless videos and tried to follow the instructions. What step(s) am I missing?

Thanks in advance, Rich

Offline overover

Re: Basic Registration storage/recall question
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 06:29:41 PM »
Hi Rich,

When saving the Registration Bank file (with "Save" in the Registration Bank Selection display), the current contents of Registration buttons 1 - 8 are saved.

If you make changes to the registrations of the individual buttons after saving the bank (e.g. memorizing new settings on a button with "Memory > press desired Reg button" or deleting the previous settings on a button in the "Regist Bank Edit" display), you must enter a new/changed file name when saving as a new bank. Otherwise the previous bank file (after confirmation of the security query) would be overwritten with the new data.

By the way, if you only want to memorize settings for the RIGHT Voices in registrations, you (only) tick the two boxes "Voice" and "Keyboard Harmony/Arpeggio" in the "Memory" window. The latter tick is necessary even if this function is not used at all. (To ensure that Harmony/Arpeggio is turned OFF by that registration if it was previously ON for any reason.)

Important: In order for the LEFT Voice settings to be saved in registrations, the "Style" box MUST be ticked in the Memory window! If you don't want the STYLE to be changed by such a registration, you have to use the following trick:

- Copy any preset style to the User drive or to a USB stick and rename the style to e.g. "dummy".

- Then load this style and then create the desired registrations, which should later switch the LEFT voice (and possibly also the RIGHT voices), but not change the current style.

- Then delete the "dummy" style again or move it to another folder. Alternatively, you can simply remove the USB stick (and use a different stick later).

- The registrations can then no longer find the "dummy" style, so that the current style is not changed.

P.S.
Please also make sure that the Freeze function is switched OFF (the LED of the Freeze button does not light up). When Freeze is ON, certain panel settings may not be switched as expected, depending on the Freeze settings ("Direct Access > Freeze button").

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 07:18:51 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Rcjwhiting

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 07:48:02 PM »
Thanks Chris! I’ll give this a whirl and let you know how it goes.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2022, 10:45:45 PM »
As Chris says you must give your new registration banks different names before saving.

Offline Rcjwhiting

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 05:33:04 PM »
Success!!! Thanks Chris and Eileen!

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 07:00:26 PM »
Success!!! Thanks Chris and Eileen!

I'm glad it worked for you, Rich! Thanks for the success report. :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)