Author Topic: External speakers for Sx900  (Read 11482 times)

Online overover

Re: External speakers for Sx900
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2022, 09:49:27 AM »
Congratulations on the purchase of the JBL monitor speakers from me too, Rikki!

By the way, please note: The inputs of the JBL (XLR and 6.3 mm jack) are balanced, but the outputs of the SX900 (like all Yamaha arranger keyboards) are unbalanced. Therefore unbalanced cables must be used (normal 6.3 mm mono TS plugs on both ends). In other words: NO balanced cables (TRS plugs) should be used, because the RING contact of the output jacks on the keyboard is not connected.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2022, 11:06:55 AM »
Congrats Rikki!
In my opinion, if worth, you got the best there is in this price range -at least according to specs (really love seeing 49-20,000Hz +/-3dB).
Because bass-reflex vent is on the back, just make sure that backside is not too close to the wall.

Enjoy them.

Bogdan

Thanks Bogdan,
yes, I will keep them away from the wall. That’s something I did learn from watching at least 100 utube video clips. Haha. Glad I finally made a choice, I was starting to drive myself nuts ( possibly some others as well, haha)
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2022, 11:21:27 AM »
Thank you Chris, and thank you for the advice on the cables. Mine are all mono 1/4 inch inch cables. Had them forever. Might get some new ones. Would xlr  to 1/4inch mono be better than  1/4 inch mono each end?  Only time I’ve come across xlr is on the  Korg pax’s for microphone input.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline mixermixer

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2022, 02:30:55 PM »
Hey Rikki, I also use a pair of LSR305P MKII as studio/PC monitors, they're great. I have mine with an external sub and 100hz crossover so my setup sounds awesome.

Online overover

« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2022, 04:39:49 PM »
Thank you Chris, and thank you for the advice on the cables. Mine are all mono 1/4 inch inch cables. Had them forever. Might get some new ones. Would xlr  to 1/4inch mono be better than  1/4 inch mono each end?  Only time I’ve come across xlr is on the  Korg pax’s for microphone input.

Thanks for your feedback, Rikki!

No, 1/4 inch (TS) to XLR cables are not recommended in this case. The reason is that XLR inputs are designed for a much lower output impedance.

If you use a high-quality DI box (such as the active "Palmer PAN4A"), you go with (short as possible) 1/4 inch (TS) cables to the DI box and from there with (any length) "XLR female to XLR male" cables to the JBL monitor speakers.

But with a direct connection, i.e. without a DI box in between, you should definitely use the 1/4 inch inputs of the JBL.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2022, 09:25:27 PM »
Thank you so much , Chris,  I’ll get a decent set of 1/4 inch mono’s.
Wow, a couple of the  more expensive monitors I was looking at originally only had xlr inputs. Lucky I didn’t go ahead as I would have just bought axle  to 1/4 inch mono, blissfully unaware I shouldn’t connect this way.

Really appreciate your help.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline lmederos

« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2022, 10:05:04 PM »

A good sound bar with a sub system works well for me; I realize my solution may not be good for many of you.
-- Luis

PSR-SX900

« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2022, 11:55:07 PM »
Hi Luis, it’s always interesting to know what works for others.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2022, 12:34:35 AM »
I've had a set of LSR305's (version 1) for about 9 years in my studio. Prior to the JBL's I've had Yorkville, Fostex, and M-Audio monitors and by far the LSR305's are the best sounding most accurate of the bunch.
When I first got the JBL's I was using 1/4" TS cables because I had them. A few years ago I switched to 1/4" TRS cables. The only noticeable difference was a small increase in volume which happens when going from an unbalanced connection to one that is balanced. As previously noted you'll need to use 1/4" TS cables for your connections.

Enjoy!!!!  :) :) :)

Offline mixermixer

« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2022, 02:22:47 PM »
I've had a set of LSR305's (version 1) for about 9 years in my studio. Prior to the JBL's I've had Yorkville, Fostex, and M-Audio monitors and by far the LSR305's are the best sounding most accurate of the bunch.
When I first got the JBL's I was using 1/4" TS cables because I had them. A few years ago I switched to 1/4" TRS cables. The only noticeable difference was a small increase in volume which happens when going from an unbalanced connection to one that is balanced. As previously noted you'll need to use 1/4" TS cables for your connections.

Enjoy!!!!  :) :) :)

As far as I know, SX900 isn't internally balanced line out.

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2022, 02:33:55 PM »
As far as I know, SX900 isn't internally balanced line out.
That is correct, thus the reason 1/4" TS cables would be used.

« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2022, 02:22:11 AM »
Thanks Mark.
Mine actually arrived today. They sound brilliant. So glad I didn’t go larger than the 5inch. I would have been blown out of my little room. ( only kidding) . They are more than powerful enough, and have a really nice sound.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline mikf

« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2022, 03:58:20 AM »
Great it has worked out. Knew they would be a big improvement on the internal keyboard system. Truth is, even the 4 inch would have been, and more than enough for your small room, but the 5 inch are a little better.
Mike

Online overover

« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2022, 05:14:41 AM »
... Mine actually arrived today. They sound brilliant. So glad I didn’t go larger than the 5inch. I would have been blown out of my little room. ( only kidding) . They are more than powerful enough, and have a really nice sound.

I'm happy with you, Rikki!

By the way, don''t forget to go to the SX900's Master EQ and  Master Compressor (CMP) settings:

Good speakers should already sound very good with Master EQ "Flat" and the standard Master CMP Setting "Natural". In any case, I recommend starting with these settings. Then only make slight corrections to adjust the sound to suit your taste, if necessary.

The switches "Boundary EQ" (to lower the deepest frequencies in two steps) and "HF Trim" (to cut or boost of the high frequencies by a value of -/+ 2db) on the back of the "JBL 305P MKII" would I also leave both in the neutral position "0dB" first.

To turn off the SX900's internal speakers (which you should definitely do when using external studio monitor speakers), go to "Menu > Utility > Speaker/Connectivity" and set the "Speaker" parameter there to OFF.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 06:10:57 AM by overover »

« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2022, 11:10:54 AM »
Great it has worked out. Knew they would be a big improvement on the internal keyboard system. Truth is, even the 4 inch would have been, and more than enough for your small room, but the 5 inch are a little better.
Mike

Hi Mike,
Thank you. I think you’re right, 4 inch would have done the job, but I got such a great price on these, 2 for just over the price of 1, couldn’t resist.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2022, 11:13:43 AM »
Thanks Chris, I’ll do those settings tomorrow. Much appreciated.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline jomb

« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2024, 06:04:50 AM »
Congratulations on the purchase of the JBL monitor speakers from me too, Rikki!

By the way, please note: The inputs of the JBL (XLR and 6.3 mm jack) are balanced, but the outputs of the SX900 (like all Yamaha arranger keyboards) are unbalanced. Therefore unbalanced cables must be used (normal 6.3 mm mono TS plugs on both ends). In other words: NO balanced cables (TRS plugs) should be used, because the RING contact of the output jacks on the keyboard is not connected.

Best regards,
Chris

Is it possible to use an EV Everse 8 powered speaker as my SX900 woofer. I plan to use the onboard speakers, in conjucntion with the sub. Thanks. Jim

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2024, 10:10:27 AM »
hi Jim,

Is it possible to use an EV Everse 8 powered speaker as my SX900 woofer. ...
You mean, as a subwoofer?
I ask because Everse 8 is a full range speaker, which covers the same frequency range as SX900 onboard speakers. In short: The only difference is, Everse 8 is louder.
Everse 8 is a stage speaker, meant for large rooms or for outdoor events. If that's what for you plan to use it, then of course you can attach it on SX900.
Without going into details, keep in mind that stage speakers are not suited for small or mid sized (home) room!

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Lefty

« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2024, 01:45:06 PM »
Hi ,
Finally bought my monitors, went for a pair  of JBL LSR305P MKII, (hopefully ok) Got a great price on them

Hi Rikki,

I'm really glad you found and chose the JBL's.  These are great speakers, and are well regarded by folks who are VERY picky about sound reproduction.  Well done!

This is a very technical review of your speakers.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/jbl-lsr305p-mkii-and-control-1-pro-monitors-review.10811/

Best Regards,
  Craig
Yamaha PSR-SX900, Studiologic Numa X 73, Lots of guitars and harmonicas

Online overover

« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2024, 03:38:07 PM »
Is it possible to use an EV Everse 8 powered speaker as my SX900 woofer. I plan to use the onboard speakers, in conjucntion with the sub. Thanks. Jim

Hi Jim,

As already mentioned by Bogdan, the EV Everse 8 is a full-range speaker. To use it as a subwoofer in conjunction with the internal SX900 speakers, I would proceed as follows:

Connect the SX900's Main Output L/L+R jack to Everse's Input #1 using an unbalanced cable (6.3 mm TS plugs on both ends).

Use the Everse's internal EQ to completely reduce treble and mid frequencies (-12 dB) and increase the bass frequencies significantly (+6 ... +12 dB).

Use Everse's Channel Volume and Master Volume controls to adjust the SUB volume to match the volume of the internal SX900 speakers.

As far as I know, the Everse even has an additional Master EQ, which can be switched between Graphic EQ (GEQ) and Parametric EQ (PEQ). This would allow you, for example, to significantly reduce all frequencies above 150 - 200 Hz and, if desired, increase the sub frequencies (below 150 - 200 Hz).

Seting the EQ directly on the Everse is a bit complicated as there are very few physical controls. I think it's easier if you use the associated smartphone app "EV QuickSmart".

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 03:46:57 PM by overover »

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2024, 08:03:31 PM »
hi Chris,
I assume that you didn't check frequency diagram (see p.3) of Everse 8 and so I'm afraid that your suggestion can't work: Everse 8 is simply not capable to play anything below 50Hz range (which is sub-range).
By forcing it to play below 50Hz could only produce distorting "moom". But by looking at diagram, I think this speaker has (about 50Hz) high-pass filter built-in (to protect the woofer) and so increasing sub frequencies will probably have no impact at all.
Everse 8 might be great for outdoor performance (where loudness matters), but that's pretty much all.

Just my opinion,
Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube