Author Topic: Weird grouping of styles!  (Read 4264 times)

Offline Trikerboy

Weird grouping of styles!
« on: October 20, 2022, 09:13:13 PM »
So I’ve had a sx700 for a couple of years, and find myself playing the same old tunes.

So I was looking on YouTube for inspiration, and heard a guy playing In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins.
He was using a style called 80s analogue Ballad.

I trawled endlessly through the 7 ‘screens’ of Pop& Rock…. Absolutely nothing.

Turns out - for some ridiculous reason - it’s touched away on screen 7 of “Dance”.

What on Earth were yamaha thinking.

Anyone else find their grouping of styles really weird?

Offline J. Larry

Re: Weird grouping of styles!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 09:33:12 PM »
Most definitely.  I struggle with that issue all the time with the SX 900.  Finally, had to make written note reminders for particular styles and the style category where located.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 09:56:38 PM »
So I’ve had a sx700 for a couple of years, and find myself playing the same old tunes.

So I was looking on YouTube for inspiration, and heard a guy playing In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins.
He was using a style called 80s analogue Ballad.

"a guy". I checked and I think I'm the only one who specified it was the 80s Analog Ballad, so me, perhaps?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=funWbbSZW34

Back on the T4 it was in Ballad, and on the Genos it's in RetroPop. But yeah putting it in Dance is odd. On the sx700 they also put PianoBallad in Dance!?
Mark

Mark

« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 11:16:06 PM by Amwilburn »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 10:07:15 PM »
Use the search function, much faster then plowing through all the screens😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 11:14:46 PM »
Hi Trikerboy,

In many cases it is good if you have all internal styles in alphabetical order: Just copy all internal styles into a single folder (e.g. on a USB stick or in the internal User drive) to have this possibility. The easiest way to do this is as follows:

- Press any Style Category button to bring up the Style Selection display.

- Then use the "UP" arrow to go up one folder level so that you can see the individual Style Category folders.

- With COPY > ALL you then copy all style category folders (with all styles) to a USB stick. Wait for the copying process to finish (may take some time).

- Then connect the USB stick to the computer. Create an additional folder on the USB stick, e.g. with the name "sty SX700 all".

- Now copy all styles from the individual category folders into this new folder and then connect the USB stick to the keyboard again.

- Finished! Now you can browse all styles in alphabetical order if needed. :)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 11:18:04 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, keyboards, JohnStarbuck, Trikerboy, mhack, Krebschen0

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2022, 11:18:38 PM »
You can also save to Favorites.

The following users thanked this post: overover, Trikerboy

Offline andyg

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2022, 05:26:42 PM »
I'm clearly not the only one who thinks the new groupings in the Genos and SX models make less sense than the old ones! Yes, you can use the Search Function, put them into Favourites etc, but it's hassle.

When I change keyboard, I always make a point of copying every style in the old one and then either use them as required from USB stick, copy a few into User - or, indeed, given the memory capacity we now have, all of them into memory. On an SX or Genos, I'd have folders for, say, PSR2000, PSR3000, PSR-S900 and so on, with the styles in their original categories/folders.

Not only does it make things simpler, but we all know that Yamaha have a great habit of updating styles, but keeping the name the same. So you load in the style and find that it doesn't do what you were expecting, or what you want. Had that this week. Student chose Piano Ballad but it was too complex, even on A and B, so we tried the same style from the old PSR2000. Perfect for his song!
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK, Dave Shively, Trikerboy

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2022, 05:34:42 PM »
Sometimes I think that Yamaha engineering doesn't know anything about actual music.  :)

They know how to generate pretty notes and leave it up to us to do the rest. Forest for the trees?  :D

Yeah, the classification of styles is pretty nutz -- pj

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2022, 06:30:26 PM »
based on the OP, I should change my signature to "a guy"

:p

Offline Trikerboy

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2022, 07:50:10 PM »
based on the OP, I should change my signature to "a guy"

:p

Hey mark… I’m not sure what the big deal about me using the term “a guy”.

And actually it wasn’t your YouTube content I’d seen…. It was a totally different “guy”  ;)

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2022, 09:23:15 PM »
Yes, you would definitely have to wonder what Yamaha were thinking  ( obviously they weren’t thinking to clearly)  when they designed the grouping's for the styles. I found a great couple of ballad styles mixed in with swing and jazz. Not quite where one would expect to find them.Dance category is somewhere I never think to look.

Another thing I find annoying is when they change the names of the styles, to try and make it look like you’ve got extra new ones on the new keyboard.

Nice to have a bit of a whinge, but on the whole I think my sx900 is brilliant.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2022, 09:54:57 PM »
Hey mark… I’m not sure what the big deal about me using the term “a guy”.

And actually it wasn’t your YouTube content I’d seen…. It was a totally different “guy”  ;)

I just thought it was funny :)

Mark

Offline mhack

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2022, 01:50:25 AM »
So, overover, the styles are alphabetized automatically? Yes, I am a bit slow.
Mhack

Offline rene

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2022, 09:17:57 AM »
yes , they are

Offline chax

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2022, 01:55:25 AM »
This has been discussed in a Topic ‘Rearranged SX styles’ initiated by Enildo on 24 March 2020 . Subsequently he has also attached a ZIP file wherein styles of 970, 975, ‘Genos’ that are missing from SX 900 have also been included. This is in the Format of earlier KBs. The download is still available.
Chax

Offline mixermixer

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2022, 01:37:39 PM »
YES! What is up with the new categorization of the styles? I will die on the hill that they need to bring back the "Ballad" category. For example, The first 5 styles in the Pop/rock in the SX900 should belong in the Dance category, similarly some of the "retro pop" should be in Pop/Rock. Also, they renamed a bunch of styles so I don't know what/where they are anymore...

Don't fix what is not broken!!! >:(

Offline pika-san

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2022, 12:06:17 AM »
@chax, where is that style collection you're talking about?
How about these, seriously? Pop walts in dance, pop musical in movies and shows, 2 reggaeton styles in pop rock, a country style in world, hawayan in jazz, and a last one! We have a world category, how can the 6 8 march comes in movie category?
yamaha extentions files styles for keyboards are as follows:
pst (pianist); pcs(piano combo); sst (session); prs (pro); bcs(basic); fps (free play) and scp (dj style).

Offline Oldden

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2022, 10:10:11 AM »
Anybody fancy reorganising all yamaha files to be sensible  so that they can be copied onto a usb stick.  :)

Offline EileenL

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2022, 01:16:00 PM »
Why not use favourites to save the ones you use most in. Works for me.

Offline pika-san

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2022, 02:59:50 PM »
Why not use favourites to save the ones you use most in. Works for me.
Well, i've done it with some legassi voices that were in my old psrs900 and some more. I probably need gm voices. Sorry to be off topic!
pst (pianist); pcs(piano combo); sst (session); prs (pro); bcs(basic); fps (free play) and scp (dj style).

Offline rgw

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2022, 05:33:56 PM »
Hi Oldden,

You can easily rearrange all styles on a PC and then same back to your USB Stick.

Best wishes,
Richard.

The following users thanked this post: Oldden

Offline chax

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2022, 12:11:34 AM »
@pika-san. In the search box type ‘rearranged’. Click sr 4. Alternatively, you can download fm here (Courtesy Enildo)

Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Jzz_HqBJSKhcNQxyWIWfeB2L8GImf2X4

Chax

The following users thanked this post: rene, Roshure

Offline Enildo

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2022, 09:29:46 PM »
@pika-san. In the search box type ‘rearranged’. Click sr 4. Alternatively, you can download fm here (Courtesy Enildo)

Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Jzz_HqBJSKhcNQxyWIWfeB2L8GImf2X4

Chax

I made my own folders because it was too complicated to find the styles in this new yamaha classification.
My selection today is much more up to date than the last one I made available. As soon as I have time,
I'll leave here the new link with the newest classifications I made.
I've included styles from Tyros, Genos and other models that the SX900 doesn't have and the groups are pretty complete.
Remind me if I forget!

Enildo

When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline pika-san

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2022, 10:06:26 AM »
Can i provide some styles via private messages?

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2022, 10:43:16 AM »
This isn't just a Yamaha thing, Korg has done it as well in the Pa1000/Pa700. I really don't like how they've dismantled the "Unplugged", "Trad" & "Contemp" styles and splattered them all over the place. I use a lot of the unplugged styles and I just found it easier to copy them into the user banks instead so they're in one place.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2022, 11:13:56 AM »
I must say, that I'm quite surprised by "grouping of built-in styles" issue that so many complain about. For example, does it matter in which section "6-8 March" style is? (btw. I think it actually belongs in Movie section).
Speaking for me, I usually search after some built-in style when I'm about to learn new song. Yes, it can happen, when I search for some "Pop Oldie" style, that I find it in Latin group.. so what? When/if I find one that's close enough, it needs to be modified anyway! Means, I save it in user memory, where I can sort them to my desire.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Enildo

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2022, 11:51:18 AM »
I made my own folders because it was too complicated to find the styles in this new yamaha classification.
My selection today is much more up to date than the last one I made available. As soon as I have time,
I'll leave here the new link with the newest classifications I made.
I've included styles from Tyros, Genos and other models that the SX900 doesn't have and the groups are pretty complete.
Remind me if I forget!

Enildo

I'm making the styles available divided into categories according to our experiences with the yamaha.
I decided to create a new topic, which is on the PSR SX board of this forum, so that in the future it will be easier to find by anyone who needs it.
Feel free to modify or make your criticisms, positive or negative!

Enildo

link: https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,64642.new.html#new
When word fail, Music speaks!

The following users thanked this post: amateur, hans1966

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2022, 08:23:58 PM »
*snip* does it matter in which section "6-8 March" style is? (btw. I think it actually belongs in Movie section).
*snip*
Bogdan

Agreed, me too. So I ended up putting all marches/12-8 orchestral (Batman, Pirates, Indiana Jones) etc into an Orchestral folder
Mark

Offline andyg

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2022, 02:56:13 PM »
6/8 March in 'movies' made me smile.  :) The 6/8 March had been around long before movies were even thought of!

All the marches in 'orchestral'? That makes more sense to me!  ;)
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline pika-san

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2022, 03:54:21 PM »
Hey, there are no orchestral section on this list.