Author Topic: P125/P121 to PSR USB-Host to USB-Host MIDI connection  (Read 3195 times)

Offline s_cristi

P125/P121 to PSR USB-Host to USB-Host MIDI connection
« on: July 22, 2022, 01:18:08 PM »
Hello guys!  :D

I have the PSR SX700 for a while and while I am waiting for the delivery of the P121 piano I am trying to figure this out

Is this type of connection possible: USB-Host of P125 to USB-Host of SX700 ?

Or which other options do I have in order to control the SX700 from the digital piano P125/P121?
USB-B Host of P125 to MIDI ports of SX700, but I've never seen such a cable yet, only the standard USB-to-MIDI
unless I use such an adapter from USB-B to USB-A

Cheers!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Blessed be the Lord God Almighty!
PSR Sx700  8)

Offline overover

Re: P125/P121 to PSR USB-Host to USB-Host MIDI connection
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 02:05:03 PM »
Hi s_cristi,

The USB-to-HOST terminal on Yamaha keyboards is only suitable for connection to a USB HOST (typically a computer, tablet/iPad or smartphone/iPhone). A direct cable connection USB HOST to USB HOST terminal is not possible.

However, you could use an external "USB MIDI HOST" device. In your case, this is connected to the USB-TO-HOST terminal of the digital piano using a USB type "AB" cable, and you connect the DIN MIDI OUT of the USB MIDI HOST device to the DIN MIDI IN of the SX700 using a standard MIDI cable. On the SX you use a corresponding MIDI template to set whether the digital piano should only control a single part of the SX (e.g. Right1) or whether the entire SX should be controlled by the digital piano's keyboard. (In the latter case, the Receive channel used on the SX must be set to the Part "Keyboard".)

>>> https://www.thomann.de/de/miditech_usb_midi_host.htm

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline s_cristi

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2022, 06:18:12 AM »
Hi Chris

Thank you for the detailed explanation on how this can be achieved. I realy appreciate it.

Best regards!  :)
PSR Sx700  8)

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 01:15:07 AM »
You're welcome, s_cristi! Thanks for your feedback. :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline s_cristi

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 09:02:10 PM »
Hello again!
Update: I bought an Arius YDP 144.
I connected it to the laptop and I can see that there is midi input activity when I play it.
However, I can not select the Yamaha BT01 Bluetooth MIDI as an output. It is paired as a bluetooth device to the laptoo.

Do I have to use a better DAW? I was trying to simply re-route with Miditrix
PSR Sx700  8)

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 10:45:04 PM »
Hello again!
Update: I bought an Arius YDP 144.
I connected it to the laptop and I can see that there is midi input activity when I play it. ...

Hi s_cristi,

Do you mean you have a USB-MIDI cable connection (USB type "AB" cable) between the YDP and the laptop?

However, I can not select the Yamaha BT01 Bluetooth MIDI as an output. It is paired as a bluetooth device to the laptoo.

Do I have to use a better DAW? I was trying to simply re-route with Miditrix

Unfortunately I don't know exactly what you mean here, so I have the following questions:

1. Which Yamaha BT-MIDI device are you talking about here: MD-BT01 (DIN MIDI) or UD-BT01 (USB-MIDI)?

2. WHERE is this Yamaha BT-MIDI device connected: to the YDP or to the laptop?

3. Is it a Windows laptop? If so, which Windows version is installed?

4. What (BT-MIDI) "output" do you mean (what should be connected to what and for what purpose)?

5. Do you also use a USB MIDI HOST device (which this thread was originally about) in conjunction with the YDP?

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 10:53:40 PM by overover »

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 02:11:31 AM »
Hi ,
I remember there was a discussion on one of the forums a few years back when I bought my p121. Don’t know why they had to drop the old 5 pin midi cables.

I did get mine working via laptop as interface, but it was a bit of a pain. I was only using it at home so didn’t really matter.  If I hadn’t bought the es920,  ( it has the  good old fashioned midi sockets)  I was going to purchase some sort of interface that someone had suggested. Can’t remember what it was.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,50372.msg416305.html#msg416305

If anyone can help, I’m pretty sure it will be Chris.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline s_cristi

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2022, 06:13:49 AM »
Hi s_cristi,

Do you mean you have a USB-MIDI cable connection (USB type "AB" cable) between the YDP and the laptop?

Yes, exactly, standard printer cable.

Unfortunately I don't know exactly what you mean here, so I have the following questions:

1. Which Yamaha BT-MIDI device are you talking about here: MD-BT01 (DIN MIDI)

2. WHERE is this Yamaha BT-MIDI device connected: It is physically connected to the PSR and via Bluetooth to the laptop - paired and connected.

3. Is it a Windows laptop? If so, which Windows version is installed?   Windows 11 x64

4. What (BT-MIDI) "output" do you mean (what should be connected to what and for what purpose)?

I guess I want to use the MIDI IN part of the MD-BT01 in order to play the MIDI OUT Part coming into laptop from the YDP

5. Do you also use a USB MIDI HOST device (which this thread was originally about) in conjunction with the YDP?

No, I do not. I am trying to use the laptop/DAW SW as a USB MIDI HOST.

Long story short this is what I am trying to do:
YDP144 sending MIDI via USB to HOST cable  -> WIN 11 x64 laptop -> send out to PSR SX700 via MD-BT01 connection
(play  the sounds from the PSR, using the YDP just as an Keyb Controller)

I am also considering to connect both the YDP and the PSR to the laptop using two A-B USB cables if you think this may also do the job. I just have to find a second cable around.

Thank you for your time, I am sorry I wasn't more into details in the first place but I was typing from the smartphone
and it was not so easy as I thought it would be.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 07:17:35 AM by s_cristi »
PSR Sx700  8)

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2022, 11:04:25 AM »

I had mine connected the following way, but there was a very vague feeling of latency, maybe how was I was
Bluetooth  wasn’t correct,  but it did actually work except for that really vague hint of latency.
* iOS device.   iPad.
* A lightning to USB adapter (aka camera connection kit) is  iPad Connected to p121 via printer cable
* A UD BT01.  Bluetooth device  connected to my SX900 via printer cable
* midi routing software for iOS (Midiflow)
Hi,
the following is an old post of mine on how I had my sx900 set up with my p121,

Since my setup is for home use only and I found a convenient spot for my laptop  ( which I rarely use anymore except for a bit of style editing and biab software, I decided to try it as an interface
No latency as far as I can tell , if some , certainly less than my iPad setup above using Bluetooth.
Basically I just connected the sx900 via the printer cable to  the laptop, did the same with the p121.
I used xg works as interface software, set up  the midi in / midi out for the  2 keyboards. Pressed the record icon ( nothing is actually recording)  basically set and forget.  I can now use the p121 as a controller of sorts for the sx.
I have mine in an L shape setup, I don’t like stacking keyboards on top of the other. The buttons on the sx are within reach, but I’ve been setting up the registrations in a list , so all I need to do is press the pedal and  it changes them.  Virtually have 3 pedals now , the sustain on the p121, the other two on the sx.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2022, 06:07:47 PM »
... Long story short this is what I am trying to do:
YDP144 sending MIDI via USB to HOST cable  -> WIN 11 x64 laptop -> send out to PSR SX700 via MD-BT01 connection
(play  the sounds from the PSR, using the YDP just as an Keyb Controller)

I am also considering to connect both the YDP and the PSR to the laptop using two A-B USB cables if you think this may also do the job. I just have to find a second cable around.

Thank you for your time, I am sorry I wasn't more into details in the first place but I was typing from the smartphone
and it was not so easy as I thought it would be. ...

Thanks for your detailed feedback, s_cristi!

I have never tried to connect two Yamaha keyboards to the computer at the same time via USB-MIDI cable. One would simply have to try whether the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver supports two devices at the same time.

Regarding Bluetooth-MIDI:
Experience has shown that Windows still has problems with Bluetooth LE MIDI (BLE MIDI). BLE MIDI support was introduced on Windows 10 (via an update not too long ago). But only programs/apps specially programmed for this new Windows API (Application Programming Interface) can use it directly. Sometimes a "helper app" like "MIDI Berry" can help under Windows, which is offered for various BTE LE MIDI adapters:
>>> https://apps.microsoft.com/store/search/midiberry?hl=en

By the way, I didn't have a good experience with my Yamaha MD-BT01 adapter. After the update with a faulty firmware version (for which Yamaha is responsible), the adapter was automatically flashed with the USB version of the firmware, the adapter "thinks" that it is a "UD-BT01" and is therefore of course no longer usable. Yamaha is aware of this problem, but does not offer a solution (neither a repair update nor a free replacement). Incidentally, the Yamaha BLE MIDI adapters mentioned are now completely outdated (both the hardware itself and in terms of the software, because Yamaha does not have firmware more updates). :(

I now work with "WIDI" BLE adapters from CME and can highly recommend them. At the moment I have two "WIDI Master" and one "WIDI Jack" adapter. Here is a link to this innovative manufacturer:
>>> https://www.cme-pro.com/

A big advantage is that the "WIDI" adapters can also be connected to each other (in contrast to the Yamaha adapters). For example, you could connect the "WIDI Bud Pro" or "WIDI Uhost" adapter to the laptop via USB and use the "WIDI Jack" or WIDI Master" adapter on the SX700, then you have an optimal connection via "Bluetooth Low Energy 5" (BLE 5") with only 3ms latency.

Hope this help!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 06:22:33 PM by overover »

Offline s_cristi

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2022, 09:29:46 AM »
Thank you both Chris and Rikky for your inputs!
I believe the topic is now well covered

Best regards!
PSR Sx700  8)

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2022, 05:33:11 AM »
Hi  cristi,
So you got it working ok?
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline s_cristi

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2022, 08:21:42 PM »
Hi! :)

Yes, it works! I bought a second cable just one hour ago.
Drivers were automatically installed by Windows as soon as I powered up the keyboard.
I activated the channel in MidiTrix and that was all  8)

Thank you all again for your support!

Best regards,
Cristi
PSR Sx700  8)

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2022, 03:44:17 AM »
Fabulous.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900