Author Topic: 900 And Vocal Harmony  (Read 3224 times)

Offline faddario

900 And Vocal Harmony
« on: March 20, 2022, 04:01:33 PM »
Does anyone have a "crackling" or "breaking up" issue with the vocal harmony? It seems to cut in and out. Another issue seems to be it is equed to high - too much treble.

Thanks

The following users thanked this post: kevin.dsouza

Offline EileenL

Re: 900 And Vocal Harmony
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 07:06:18 PM »
Try adjusting your mic settings to suit you.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 07:37:59 PM »
Sounds as if you are overdriving the vocal harmony. Try lowering your mic input settings, as Eileen stated above, and this should solve your problem.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: faddario, kevin.dsouza

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2022, 08:28:17 PM »
Does anyone have a "crackling" or "breaking up" issue with the vocal harmony? It seems to cut in and out. Another issue seems to be it is equed to high - too much treble.

Thanks

Hi Faddario,

Very important is the correct setting of the MIC GAIN (knob on the backside). The corresponding LED (Mic Setting button) and the Input Level Meter (Mic Setting display) must light in green when singing/speaking into the microphone. It should not light in orange and must not light in red.

Please also check the Mic Noise Gate setting. First use a setting of the Threshold parameter with which the Gate is always fully open. If you want to use the Gate (to automatically hide background noise in vocal and speech breaks), set the Threshold value so that the Gate is safely opened when singing/speaking into the microphon and safely closed when not singing/speaking. If the correct setting is not used here, the Gate can "flutter", i.e. it opens "too late" and closes again as soon as the microphone signal is slightly lower.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 08:40:53 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Iurcuyo, mhack, faddario, kevin.dsouza

Offline faddario

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2022, 08:31:49 PM »
Eileen, overover, travli-easy:

I appreciate your suggestions but I'm still having the issue. It does sound like too much gain but even at low volumes or low gains, I still get it. I have been in bands for over 50 years and exposed to mixers, PAs, etc. for that long. I wish I could email you or Yamaha Support a short mp3 of this. I really want to make sure it is not a problem with my sx900.

Thanks again,

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 10:33:52 PM »
I appreciate your suggestions but I'm still having the issue. It does sound like too much gain but even at low volumes or low gains, I still get it. I have been in bands for over 50 years and exposed to mixers, PAs, etc. for that long. I wish I could email you or Yamaha Support a short mp3 of this. I really want to make sure it is not a problem with my sx900.

You can easily do the mp3. Just record it, and post it to any file sharing service (Box, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, iCloud, etc.)

The post the link in a reply here.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2022, 12:41:01 AM »
You don't mention what Mic you are using.

Offline faddario

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2022, 01:50:57 PM »
Using a Shure Sm58

Offline Rcjwhiting

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2022, 06:54:54 PM »
Hi Faddario,
I have the same issue and made sure it’s set up correctly and adjusted the settings per suggestions. I posted a question about this today on the forum and was recommended to make sure the phone jack cable going to the keyboard is TS - not TPR. Any chance you are/were using a mic cable that is TPR on one end?

Interested to hear if you resolved this and what the solution was.

Thanks, Rich

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2022, 06:40:47 PM »
I use a 1/4" plug and have no issues at all with the vocal harmonizer and almost 100 videos as examples on YouTube. The mic I use is an $80 Shure mic.
Your issue is not with the keyboard or the mic, it's your setup within the keyboard.

You just need to lower you MIC volume and then adjust all your styles to then match your lower mic setting. This will require that you never use the default Yamaha styles and only use user saved styles or a tweaked registration.

As suggested use your keyboard WAV player to test what your current Mic set up sounds like and them make small adjustments to the setting. Making a test WAV each time. It will take a lot of time to set your mic up. Just don't be in a rush, it will take a few days to get it perfect. You only have to set it ONE time correctly and save it.

Drake
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 06:45:09 PM by DrakeM »

Offline overover

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2022, 09:58:57 PM »
Hi Faddario,
I have the same issue and made sure it’s set up correctly and adjusted the settings per suggestions. I posted a question about this today on the forum and was recommended to make sure the phone jack cable going to the keyboard is TS - not TPR. Any chance you are/were using a mic cable that is TPR on one end?

Interested to hear if you resolved this and what the solution was.

Thanks, Rich

Hi Rich,

You accidentally wrote "TPR". The correct terms are as follows:

"TS" means "TIP / SLEEVE" aka "1/4 inch / 6.3mm mono jack plug" (used for unbalanced mono connections)

"TRS" means "TIP / RING / SLEEVE" aka "1/4 inch / 6.3mm stereo jack plug" (used for balanced mono an unbalanced stereo connections)

In connection with Yamaha PSR-S and SX models, only unbalanced (TS) cables should be used, because the keyboard's output jacks and the microphone input are unbalanced (the middle / RING contact is not connected inside).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 10:06:21 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)