Author Topic: Delving deeper into the Genos hurts  (Read 2914 times)

Offline ugawoga

Delving deeper into the Genos hurts
« on: October 15, 2021, 06:38:28 PM »
hi
Well before anyone says why to me and just play, there are a few things that i would like to do.

I have found with a song i am doing which has several parts in a 60s song that it is difficult to get the drum breaks right or fills
With only one pair of hands it can get difficult reaching for the buttons with certain songs. Yes there is now the challenge.
I tried Producer  to input chords by step and the program is so buggy and slow.
Is there a way to input chords and drum fills from the genos to position in Cubase ??

I have looked at the Genos sequencer and the step edit.
I was getting mad as i have a user style that i remade for purpose and you cannot get that to show or play when going to the Chord section.
Realizing now also it does not matter what the style is as long as the song is positioned because it is midi.
I can always adjust and put my own Style stamp on it later.
Long winded job on the Genos.
The reason for this is that i can mute all chords and leads and play myself assured that the drum parts and fills come in on time.
How many times we press a fill and it chuggs for a moment and  decides to be a fill. A piggggggggg! ;D
You have to be bang on time or your playing will be mistimed.
If i can make a success of inputting all the chords and fills  where they should be , i can mute all chords and leads and play assured that the drum fills act when i want them too
All i am saying is that my playing is ok , but my drummer has a mind of it's own sometimes.
What do you reckon???

All the Best
John
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline DrakeM

Re: Delving deeper into the Genos hurts
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 08:30:38 PM »
I don't use Cubase so I do not have a suggestion using it.

I only use the keyboard's style creator and seem to figure something out most times.

What is the song?
Put up a link to the song and tell us the TIME in the song where the issue is, someone or I might be able assist or have ideas for you.

Regards
Drake

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 11:05:56 PM »
Hi Drake

I am trying to put all registrations  for Cat Stevens  Mathew and Son and there is a lot of nuances in there.

AtB
john :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Online EileenL

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 11:36:58 PM »
I assign my drum fills to a pedal. Much easier to press it on time.

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 03:50:07 AM »
That break keeps repeating 3 times that I am hearing.

At about 1:34 ... what ever MAIN you use for that section of the song, I would think you could follow with an ending to create the 3 Break sections.

I sing and pulling off a break like that is possible. If you are playing the song as only an instrumental, that maybe impossible to play the lead notes and do a break if you are also needing to change chords at the same time.

In which case, I think you would need to create a style to just make a backing midi and then play the lead melody along with the midi file.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 09:28:35 AM »
Hi Drake
Tricky little number
I made a pad for the piano harpsichord start and on second part play the strings in unison.
Then i changed a style to get that nice bass two bar intro
The verse section i split the keyboard to play lead voice and upper for the horn compliment
well you must have heard the rest and it slows down to a four part Mathew and son tailing off with that far away reverb
Then the tinkly bit again and Outro.
You are right their Drake and i will keep trying until i find a way around this.
I just love music that people do not generally play and some songs of that period wer tricky catchy songs.
With this song the timing is crucial, but i love the challange. :)
Eileen is also right. I will get that footpedal going
When finished i will let you know.
I have completed Going Loco In Acapulco another multipart song .
Yes , I have attempted to to a great mix i hope and will attempt to do a master in Ozone, but i want to get a few mixed songs together.
I do not play out at gigs but catching up on the years that i should of knuckled down.
I was my fathers fault as he wanted me to play the violin, but i just hated the screechy sounds that they make. Also he got mad when i would not listen!! ;D "Bless him" he tried!!
Football or Soccar was the thing in our teens and a SX 200 Mod Scooter. ;D ;D ;D ;D and plenty of hard rock/Prog.
Still love the rock, and music from Tony Joe White  and and come to think of it Nick Drake 8)

The real issue is getting the drum fills exactly right without it motoring on to the next bar without firing.
It gets annoying if you miss the fill when recording. I practice a lot to get fills right on song, but there is moments when a crucial fill decides to not play ball.
Ok it is operator mistakes!! :)  and i v'e been working all day, all day!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

All the Best
John

All the best
John
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 09:42:16 AM by ugawoga »

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 02:08:57 PM »
I assign my drum fills to a pedal. Much easier to press it on time.
Agreed. Foot pedals are "sleeping giants" that come in very handy. I recently assigned the ART.3 button for a sax solo. It's difficult to get the timing right in this case but with practice I should be able to perfect it.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 03:40:08 PM »
ugawoga,

I have pedals to do everything I need with an MFC-10. My hands never leave the keys.
I attached a picture of my setup.

Rick D.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Toril S

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2021, 04:41:24 PM »
Rick, last I checked you were a human with only two feet. 😀😀😀 I really admire people using multiple pedals!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 11:50:58 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2021, 10:44:30 PM »
LOL Toril,

You are correct,  I, like most people only have two feet. Each pedal has its own function for a particular song specific registration. The MFC-10 pedal board never changes. The lower row of buttons controls the three articulations, the next two are fill in and break. The top row is multi pad trigger , fade out,  the next two are for page plus and minus when using midi files, and the last one is for rhythm stop and start. I don’t use the expression pedal on the board as the angle is not comfortable, hence the separate expression pedal. The pedals in front of the board to the left are plus and minus sheet music in Songbook +. The pedal in the middle advances registration sequences. It took awhile to be able to hit the pedals without looking, but coming from full sized organs with full pedals, it came pretty easily. For me this works out great, I know a lot of old school guys like to make changes on the fly, and I think it is impressive to watch, but I prefer to keep my hands on the keys.

Rick D.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 01:44:04 PM by Rick D. »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2021, 11:53:45 PM »
WOW! I am impressed!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2021, 04:23:37 PM »
Hi to Everyone

Yes, it takes time to get used to footpedals and if you have two it seems that can you hit the wrong one many times when brain is not 100% ;D ;D.
Playing merrily along, the fill can turn into a bend magically.
I have a two left feet situation sometimes.
I have managed today to make a chord track in the Genos sequencer to Matthew & Son and now the fun begins ;D :P :-[
I had to do the chord track and mains plus fills in step mode to get everything tight.
It is a little fiddly especially when you want two chords in a bar.
You have to put next note in the next bar and come out of record and tab over to the left and put the second chord on third position and tab over left again to amend the bar.
You get used to it after a while.
Now the track is done and it could only be done with a preset style and after expanding it,  it now will play out of the step mode.
The thing is now to get my user style to take over the preset one. My next problem.
After that i will mute all tracks except the drums and fills and mains changes. This will keep the rhythm tight and now can concentrate on the playing , both hands.
This is much better than trying to do a Don Partridge  "Rosie " one man band Roger Rabbit contortions with hands, feet and whoopsy'e daisy!!!!!
For a song like Mathew and Son to sound great you need more space as there is a lot going on in there.
For run of the mill songs straight playing is enough.
Another annoying thing is the Song play section. Always start with a blank registration when making them. I have learnt that lesson now.
My Mathew and Son Chord track nicely finished but when i put into song mode to try out my registrations, they were fine up until the third one when all stopped  and the audio section lit up with a  a midi song. WEIRD !! :D. I had to go to each registration and make sure everying ok and re -save it and that problem then goes away.
I had a song registration on there before  and just went over them and it remembered a pad firing.
What a pickle i get into sometimes :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* ;D

All the best
John :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 04:27:31 PM by ugawoga »