Author Topic: PSR-SX700 Song Guide Function  (Read 1894 times)

benson1963

PSR-SX700 Song Guide Function
« on: October 15, 2021, 05:20:06 PM »
hi , this has maybe been discussed before but i,m looking for some help , i have thousands of midi files and as a beginner i use the Guide Function (follow lights / bouncing ball) to play the right hand melody line , i believe the PSR-SX700 is set up to use the "AUTO" channel to do this which is fine but not all midi files have the correct channel set up for this , if the lead melody channel is on say channel 16 or channel 5 or channel 1 etc. how can i change it so that i can still use the Guide Function (Follow Lights / bouncing ball) on a different channel from which the keyboard is set up for , i know if it,s on AUTO channel and the midi file melody channel matches this i just switch off right hand part and press GUIDE button , i know i can also press "settings" button at the extreme right on bottom of display and isolate and change it to the channel that the melody part is on but when you do this yes it then shows this up on the main score page but the GUIDE Function then does not work , the bouncing ball goes across the screen but does not stop waiting for me to play the corresponding note etc. , years ago i had a Tyros 2 and it was easy to change the channel the melody was on and have it work properly on the channel i picked (selected GUIDE right hand part , switch off left hand part) but i can,t work out how to do this on the PSR-SX700 , hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction and find a way to do this , look forward to any reply,s on this subject .

a frustrated novice player
regards - Tommy  :D

Offline overover

Re: PSR-SX700 Song Guide Function
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 08:33:13 PM »
Hi Tommy,

Please first read the chapter "Song Playback Related Settings" in the SX700 Reference Manual, pages 65/66. There you will find all the information you need about the settings for the "Guide" function.

If you have not done so, you can download the Reference Manual from the SX700 download page. (Download also the "Owner's Manual" and the "Data List", then you can open all manuals parallel on the computer if necessary, and you will find everything relatively fast using the search function of your PDF Reader program.)
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx700/downloads.html#product-tabs

P.S.
If you want to save the Guide settings into the relevant MIDI file, you can do this in the "MIDI Multi Recording > Setup" display. Next to the 7 checkmarks in the two upper lines ("Voice" to "Tempo"), check the box next to "Guide Setting". Then press "Execute" > "Close" > "Save". (See the SX700 Reference Manual , page 73, "Recording a Panel Setup to a Song" and also the attached picture.)

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 03:16:40 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

benson1963

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 02:45:30 PM »
hi overover , firstly thanks for the quick reply and the information , i,ll have a look and see how i get on with it , thanks once again for the help .

regards - Tommy  :D

benson1963

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 04:17:30 PM »
hi again , everything working fine and so simple once you explained the process to me , big thanks once again overover , i can once again have fun praticing along with the melody line .

regards - Tommy  ;D