Author Topic: PSR S500 Keys not playing  (Read 2054 times)

Offline Apollo292

PSR S500 Keys not playing
« on: October 14, 2021, 04:16:12 PM »
Hi everyone.
I Got given a PSR S500 it is quite an old model but it looks is such good condition.
Got it for the little grandaughter to start learning on.
There are five keys that don't play octave 1 C#and G  octave 2 C# and G octave 3 C#
I have had the key frame out and removed the rubber strips cleaned it all with electrical contact cleaner sprayed the the circuit board and refitted the rubber strips.
Still the keys are not working.
Any help and advice greatly appreciated.
Last but not least only half the display works,this seems to be a common problem with these keyboards.

Offline Normanfernandez

Re: PSR S500 Keys not playing
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 04:25:15 PM »
Since octaves don't work, it's a hardware issue.
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Apollo292

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 08:55:13 PM »
Thanks for you reply Norman.
Any ideas as to what, circuit board etc?
regards
Daryl

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 12:54:41 AM »
Hi everyone.
I Got given a PSR S500 it is quite an old model but it looks is such good condition.
Got it for the little grandaughter to start learning on.
There are five keys that don't play: octave 1 C#and Goctave 2 C# and G, octave 3 C#
I have had the key frame out and removed the rubber strips cleaned it all with electrical contact cleaner sprayed the the circuit board and refitted the rubber strips.
Still the keys are not working.
Any help and advice greatly appreciated.
Last but not least only half the display works,this seems to be a common problem with these keyboards.

Hi Apollo292,

The notes C#1, G1, C#2, G2 and C#3 are connected to the same wire of the diode matrix on the PSR-S500. Please check pin #6 (wire "N11") at the connectors marked in the attached picture (circuit boards "61H" and "61L"). If there is an interruption or a bad contact at a connector, the notes mentioned will not work.

Edit:
Please also check pin #5 (wire "N21") at the marked connectors in the picture!

Hope this helps!

P.S.
Regarding the half-functioning display, I don't know how to fix it at the moment.

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 08:00:04 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 07:18:17 PM »
Hi --

I agree with Chris and recommend re-seating all of the cable connectors to make sure that nothing has worked loose. It's possible that the "half display" problem is also due to a loose connector somewhere. Yamaha daisy chains signals through circuit boards, so the loose connector could be anywhere in the cable/signal chain.

If the PSR-S500 is second-hand, it might have been mishandled sometime during its life.

Wires are always a pain in the neck -- pj

Offline Apollo292

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 09:51:01 PM »
Thank you Chris for the information,that is so kind of you to take the time to explain.I was a mechanical engineer in my previous life.with a little electrical knowledge,I do understand a little of what you advise so will go ahead and check with your diagram.
Thankyou also for your thoughts pjd very much appreciated,
I will buy you both a pint if it works.
Kind regards
Daryl