Author Topic: SX900 malfunction or problem whit LAN USB Adapter UDWL01. Help me ...  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Aquilauno

Hi Friends
I try to open a topic here too because yahama assistance told me that the malfunction could concern the keyboard and not the USB LAN adapter (UDWL01). It all started a few days ago when I realized that the SX900 was not connected to the home WIFI network. I started the procedure and reconnected the keyboard. The configuration is not stored and each time it is switched on it must be re-run every time. Has this happened to anyone? Do I need to worry?
Thanks for your availability
Pietro

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 10:29:10 PM by Aquilauno »

Offline Aquilauno

Re: SX900 malfunction or problem whit LAN USB Adapter UDWL01. Help me ...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 09:17:42 AM »
Guys, please, anyone who has a USB LAN adapter can tell me if the configuration must actually remain in memory after the keyboard is turned off and on again? No advice or suggestions to give me to understand if this problem is real and how to check if instead it is the adapter or the keyboard that is malfunctioning?
Both are under warranty but still for a few months ... if I can avoid taking the keyboard and the adapter to a service center it would prevent me from running out of SX900 for who knows how long, (avoid that the keyboard travels perhaps unnecessarily if the problem were of the adapter ...)  I need your experience and advices on this.
Pietro

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2021, 04:12:22 PM »
Hi Pietro,

It is important that the USB wireless LAN adapter is already connected to the SX900 before starting. The adapter should NOT be plugged in when the keyboard is already running, as is possible with a USB flash drive.

The wireless LAN configuration made (connection in "Infrastructure" mode with your local router) is usually saved automatically. It is important that you close the wireless LAN display properly (press the Exit button or touch the X symbol).

The next time you start it (with the wireless LAN adapter already plugged in!), The SX900 should automatically connect to your local WiFi network. (The settings are stored in the keyboard, not in the USB adapter.)

By the way: It is important to know that the Yamaha USB Wireless LAN Adapter is NOT compatible with 5 GHz WiFi, but only works with 2.4 GHz.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, Aquilauno

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2021, 04:50:24 PM »
Hello Chris, thanks for the help...
Once the configuration procedure has been completed, the adapter connects correctly to the WiFi network and works (led blue is on). I have installed an expansion pack and all everything went ok. But, once the SX900 is turned off, at the next restart, with the adapter plugged into the usb, the configuration is lost again (it is not stored), the led  adapter is off and it is not connected. I have to proceed with the LAN setup again. Since the settings are saved in the keyboard, the malfunction could be about SX900 ... I'll try to do a factory reset, but first I want to start the keyboard test procedure. For the reset I know that you have to press and hold the last white button on the right during power up, but for the test procedure how is it done? ...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 04:53:56 PM by Aquilauno »

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2021, 11:37:08 PM »
Hi Pietro,

Please make sure that the DHCP Server is activated at your WiFi Router and that the DHCP function is also avtivated in the SX900's Wireless LAN settings. Then press 'Initialize" to initialize the settings. Restart the SX900, open the Wireless LAN settings again, select your local WiFi network, enter the WPA2 Password and make sure you are properly connected to that network.

Close the Settings display properly (as mentioned before by pressing Exit or the X symbol). Then restart the SX900 again. The Wireless LAN connection should be established automatically now.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 11:40:07 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

The following users thanked this post: Aquilauno

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 05:08:42 PM »
 HI Chris,
the connection is established and the sx900 connects perfectly to the wifi, but when I turn off and on the configuration is lost (there is no memory left in the sx900) and the configuration procedure must be redone again every time the sx900 is restarted. LAN adapter problem or SX900 problem? mystery!!!
If i do a factory reset do i have to reinstall the latest firmware?
How I can to do the keyboard checking procedure?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 05:19:24 PM by Aquilauno »

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 07:18:06 PM »
HI Chris,
the connection is established and the sx900 connects perfectly to the wifi, but when I turn off and on the configuration is lost (there is no memory left in the sx900) and the configuration procedure must be redone again every time the sx900 is restarted. LAN adapter problem or SX900 problem? mystery!!!
If i do a factory reset do i have to reinstall the latest firmware?
How I can to do the keyboard checking procedure?

Hi Pietro,

If your WiFi router is set in such a way that the network name (SSID) is displayed publicly and the signal strength of the WiFi network at the location of the keyboard is not extremely low, the SX900 should remember the WiFi connection data (at least after you, as mentioned, one-time Initialized the setting and then made the new settings). I recommend working with DHCP (on both sides) so that the router automatically assigns an IP to the keyboard. Alternatively, you can deactivate the DHCP function on the SX900 and set a fixed IP. However, this must then be outside the router's DHCP address range.

Example:

Router's IP address: 192.168.2.1
IP addresses assigned by the router via DHCP: 192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.100
Available IP addresses for manual setting on the computer/keyboard: 192.168.2.101 -192.168.2.255
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Important for manual setting (without DHCP): The IP used on the keyboard must be unique, i.e. it must not be used by any other device in the network at the same time. The values of the first three groups of the IP address must of course match on the router and computer/keyboard, but the last value (after the third point) may only appear once in the network.

Please read the chapter "Wireless LAN Settings" in the SX900 Reference Manual (from page 126) carefully again to be absolutely sure.

If you have followed all the hints so far (including that the Settings display should always be properly closed, i.e. not remain open in the background), there could be an error on the SX900. I think it is almost impossible that it could be due to the USB WLAN adapter. The setting is definitely saved in the keyboard, not in the USB adapter.

The problem could possibly be solved by performing a full Factory Reset using the internal Test program. However, there is no guarantee of this.

Incidentally, there is NO test for the Wireless LAN function in the SX900 Test program. (In contrast to the Genos Test program, because the Genos has a built-in USB wireless LAN adapter.)

IF you are using the internal SX900 Test Program, I recommend doing all ROM and RAM tests first. If no errors ("NG") are displayed here, you could do a full Factory Reset. To do this, you first perform test No. 064 "Factory Set" and directly afterwards test No. 065 "Test Exit". The reset is only actually carried out when the instrument is restarted (!)

"Factory Set" initializes ROM backup data, etc. including USER drive data, and restores it to the factory shipping state.

Caution:
Note that all user data will be cleared. Before executing the Factory Reset procedure, be sure to save the important data as a backup in the USB flash drive.

I recommend using the internal Backup function (saves the complete content of the User drive and all user System settings (in a single .bup file). I would also copy all files in the User drive directly to a USB stick (separately for the individual file types such as Styles, Registration files, etc.). I also recommend saving the three so-called 'Setup Files' "System", "MIDI" and "User Effect" individually on a USB stick (in "Menu > Utility > Factory Reset/Restore > page 2/2").

If you want to use the internal Test program (e.g. to carry out a complete factory reset), you are welcome to send me a PM (personal message). I will then send you detailed information. Without this information you should never use the Test program!

P.S.
I just see that you have already contacted me via PM. So I'll send you the information you need via PM. I wish you success!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 08:05:37 PM by overover »

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 12:34:24 PM »
thanks Chris this is a great help ... thank you so much
Pietro

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 03:28:11 PM »
Hi Chris, I have done the factory reset (before you ask me, I'm sure the procedure started and finished correctly, with the SX900 rebooting). A warning message also appeared on the screen that the factory reset is being forced ... so no doubt about it, and here comes the unexpected situation and the big question ... What was in memory is left (users, favorites, registrations ... expantion packs). In short, something is wrong with in the SX900? I will contact a service center but I suspect that this is also a bug of the S.O. o it is a situation related to the freezing on the logo before Firmware 1.05 (si la mia SX900 ha avuto questo evento a 22 giorni dall'acquisto).
For the rest the SX900 works correctly in everything, except for the LAN configuration and for the forced factory reset which did not produce results. For those who think that I have not performed the reset correct , I will carry out the procedure again starting from the test screen by recording a video and I will link it as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 03:29:28 PM by Aquilauno »

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 05:03:43 PM »
Hi Pietro,

The fact that the Factory Reset has been carried out correctly can be seen from the fact that "Force Format Mode" is shown in the display after you have first run the "Factory Set" test and then immediately afterwards the "Test Exit" test. After "Force Format Mode" has been displayed, it is essential to wait until this function has ended. After a new restart, no previous user data may be available in the User drive. Otherwise the reset was not carried out correctly.

Best regards,
Chris

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 10:17:38 PM »
Hi Chris
In thanking you for the time you have given me, I ask you for a last effort. Here are links to two videos. One related to the LAN configuration procedure. The other related to the procedure I made of the Factory Reset of the SX900 (to me it seems to be performed correctly). If it is as I think the SX900 cannot overwrite the USER memory and the expansion packs, registrations, styles and stored voices remain in memory (despite the reset). I am also attaching the two screen shots of the on-screen warnings in the factory reset phase. Now, I just have to bring the SX900 to service. Thanks again... Best Regard
Pietro
PS this would also explain why the LAN configuration does not remain in memory (the SX900 is no longer able to overwrite the data and therefore LAN configuration does not remain stored (this is the only plausible explanation).

link 1 SX900 - LAN USB Problem : https://youtu.be/DVy6MJY2qQo

link 2 SX900 - Force Format: https://youtu.be/3GwB1ZwsKQM

I attach a third video to know what you think about this behavior of OTS voices

link 3 SX OTS Voices: https://youtu.be/y-iX83taYi4

it's my first time uploading videos to YT I hope the links work

« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 09:28:56 PM by Aquilauno »

Offline overover

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2021, 11:09:25 PM »
Hi Pietro,

As I said, if there are still earlier files in the User drive after the Factory Reset via the Test program, something went wrong. Normally, ALL internal Memory areas are initialized/deleted.

Regarding Wireless LAN:
In your video I see that the top network ("TIM-18361643") is available TWICE (but with different signal strength). And after connecting, BOTH networks seem to be connected. Do you have a WiFi Repeater in operation? If so, switch the Repeater off for a test.

Normally the local WiFi network should only be displayed ONCE. Please press "Initialize" to set the connection setup to the factory status again, then press "Update Networks" to update the network list, and then try to connect to only ONE network.

Regarding OTS:
The currently loaded Style is obviously not a Preset Style. The OTS button #1 shown in the video obviously calls up Voices for Right 1 and Right 2 that are not available on the SX900 (e.g. Preset Voices from another keyboard or Voices from an Expansion Pack that is not currently installed on the SX900. (If the Voices are missing, the keyboard usually tries to load a similar Voice automatically. But this does not always succeed, and instead of the Voice name, only "--------" is displayed. The relevant Part can then either be completely silent, or you hear some kind of a (more or less inappropriate) Voice.

You have several options here, e.g .:
- (Re-)install the required Expansion Pack.
- Assign another Voice to the keyboard parts, save them to the relevant OTS buttons and then re-save the STYLE (in the Style Selection Display).
- Forget the OTS and just work with Registrations. :)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 11:17:34 PM by overover »

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2021, 09:30:24 AM »
Hi Cris,
1) LAN problem
Yes, I have a dual band WIFI repeater with Easy Mesh Functionality (so it creates a single WIFI network) in fact on the PC, on two HP Laptops and on 4 smartphons I have a single TIM-18361643  for the WIFI access. Beyond this, I turned off the repeater and made the LAN configuration, the result is the same I turn the SX900 off and on again and the LAN configuration is no longer stored. I did more, I connected the SX900 via hotspot to the mobile phone, logged in, configuration ok, I turn off and on again nothing remains in memory.

2) Factory reset problem.
I redid the procedure 4 times and every time everything is in memory. It is evident that if the restore procedure has been carried out correctly (can you confirm that I have not done anything wrong?) Then something is wrong. Also I noticed that the welcome message to the power on has disappeared,  the WIFI password too, the language went back to default English, so something the reset did. I tried to reinstall the firmware 1.05 no positive effect.

3) Thanks for the explanations on OTS.
Pietro
PS
even this normal procedure produced no effects ... (photo A). I delivered the keyboard to the nearest service center (40km) ... they will test the SX900 and they will call me in a week. I asked, in case they had to repair it (under warranty) if they could put the grease back under the frets, but they said that this does not fall under the warranty coverage (no reports from Yamaha about it) I have to ask for clarification in the old topic about it

« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 05:02:33 PM by Aquilauno »