Author Topic: my next Yamaha keyboard  (Read 6854 times)

my next Yamaha keyboard
« on: July 20, 2021, 07:43:57 PM »
Hello everyone!
I understand that unlike many of the topics on this board, I am asking about my next keyboard, rather than talking about suggestions for keyboards that aren't out yet. This can be moved to the appropriate board if necessary. However, I will most likely be buying my next keyboard in five months, but I have so many options to choose from. They all have good and bad things about them, and I need help/suggestions/advice for which one to choose.
I currently have a PSR-SX600. While some of the sounds on it are good, such as the ConcertGuitar, I believe Yamaha should have chosen more up-to-date versions of some of the instruments. A few examples are the FlamencoGuitar, the BrushKit (I'm using the names of the voices on this keyboard), the ConcertGrand, and so many more. In addition, the pitch bend and modulation wheels, as well as the keyboard type, are really not that great.
I am considering a few options, but there are problems with all of them for me. I'm thinking about either the PSR-SX900, the PSR-A5000 (as I plan to do some world music), or the older Tyros 5. Here are my reasons for considering each one, as well as the problems:
The PSR-SX900 has way better sounds, including the newer versions of the voices listed above. However, since I am blind, I can't use the touch screen to play the on-board demos for the voices, or choose others. I understand that VoiceGuide can help, but I read in another topic here that VoiceGuide is limited, and more suitable for partially sighted, rather than blind people.
While the Tyros 5 is older, it has many of the sounds found on the SX900 (except for many of the drums.) It even has S.Art2! voices, which PSR keyboards lack. Luckily for me, it has buttons rather than a touch screen, so I can play the demos much easier. However, I really like the drums of the SX900, that are mini versions of the Revo!drums of the Genos.
While the PSR-A5000 has a few of the drums found on the Genos (and many more that aren't), it still lacks in a few ways. For example, the ConcertGrand is the only S.Art! piano; the rest are Live! voices, versions that aren't that great-sounding and don't have great demos. It doesn't even have the eight best organs that are on all the others. However, it does have many voices from around the world, that I know I'll want to use. As I said in my channel trailer, after going on a virtual tour of a few museums last year, I found that I want to write music with elements of other countries mixed in.
All of these keyboards are wonderful, I can't decide which one I want. All of them have great sounds, some more so than others, but they all have their own features that make all three shine (unlike my current keyboard, as I stated.)
I'm sorry for this post being so long, but there are so many things that make me want each one. Since I can only choose one, I have no idea which one I really want.
Help is appreciated.
Alex

Re: my next Yamaha keyboard
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 08:02:38 PM »
I Agree. yamaha will bring something oyt.

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 11:03:59 PM »
The thing about the A5000 and SX900 is that I just can't use the touch screen. When I contacted Yamaha a few weeks ago about the voice demos, they said they can only be accessed by the touch screen, and that more keyboards will have them. If I (and others) can't even use them, what's the point in having them on there?

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 03:46:28 AM »
I have done a lot of research since my last post, but I am still having a very hard time deciding. I have taken one option off the list, the A5000. It comes down to the PSR-SX900 or the Tyros 5. Here are the pros and cons of each, that I am aware of (and that may be useful for a decision.)
SX900 pros:
can install expansion packs the same way as my SX600
Bluetooth audio
drums based on the Revo!drums of the Genos
1 GB expansion voice memory
best speakers
SX900 cons:
touch screen (I am completely blind)
no S.Art2! voices
no ensemble voices
pros of Tyros 5:
has both grand and upright pianos (like the SX900, but I didn't say it above)
buttons instead of a touch screen
a gigabyte of expansion memory (with module)
61 or 76 keys
better keys than SX900
aftertouch
Tyros 5 cons:
older keyboard
has pitch bend/modulation wheels rather than a joystick
doesn't have Revo!drums or anything close to them
doesn't have control knobs
no speakers
I still have no idea which one to choose.

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 08:44:23 AM »
Hi Alex
It is a problem that should be addressed by Yamaha (how to structure the touchscreen for the blind) .While the home screen could be easily memorized by taking the edges of the LCD screen as orientation, the complexity of the specific screens remains, these could also be memorized. (there are not many ones that are usually used in play), perhaps with audio alerts sent only to headphones and not to the speakers, regarding what is selected on the touchscreen, including the name of the style or the values ​​set for each voice (it would also be useful for the visually impaired).
The ideal would be to integrate, in  the  future keyboards, the voice recognition... (as happens on more complex satellite navigators) in my opinion it would be feasible perhaps with a plugin at the request of the customer to be installed on a special slot.
Pietro
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 08:46:50 AM by Aquilauno »

Offline DerekA

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 02:17:09 PM »
If the touch screen is a dealbreaker for you then you don't really have a choice : Tyros 5.

If you really want 76 keys, you don't really have a choice : Tyros 5.

If you do have a choice, personally I would go for SX900 over Tyros 5. The live control options plus the newer tone generator chip make a material difference. But that's just my opinion.

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2021, 06:42:28 PM »
Thank you for telling me this. The only real drawback with the SX900 for me is the touch screen. I am unable to listen to the demos of each voice on the SX900 unless someone is able to give .mid files of them. I really like the voice demos.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2021, 06:55:02 PM »
There is a voice guide you can download so that when you touch things on the screen it will tell you what you have selected.

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/psr_sx900_700_vg.html

Offline Toril S

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2021, 07:09:46 PM »
If possible, download the voice guide file for the SX900 on a USB stick. Then go to a music store and say you want to try it on their demo model. There are people on this forum that use the voice guide, so it works. But it must be developed further.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline cliffordleo1965

• cliff psr s 950, 975, SX 900
  • Assoc. Member
  • Yamaha is the best
    • cliffordleo
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2021, 04:31:55 PM »
Hello everyone!
I understand that unlike many of the topics on this board, I am asking about my next keyboard, rather than talking about suggestions for keyboards that aren't out yet. This can be moved to the appropriate board if necessary. However, I will most likely be buying my next keyboard in five months, but I have so many options to choose from. They all have good and bad things about them, and I need help/suggestions/advice for which one to choose.
I currently have a PSR-SX600. While some of the sounds on it are good, such as the ConcertGuitar, I believe Yamaha should have chosen more up-to-date versions of some of the instruments. A few examples are the FlamencoGuitar, the BrushKit (I'm using the names of the voices on this keyboard), the ConcertGrand, and so many more. In addition, the pitch bend and modulation wheels, as well as the keyboard type, are really not that great.
I am considering a few options, but there are problems with all of them for me. I'm thinking about either the PSR-SX900, the PSR-A5000 (as I plan to do some world music), or the older Tyros 5. Here are my reasons for considering each one, as well as the problems:
The PSR-SX900 has way better sounds, including the newer versions of the voices listed above. However, since I am blind, I can't use the touch screen to play the on-board demos for the voices, or choose others. I understand that VoiceGuide can help, but I read in another topic here that VoiceGuide is limited, and more suitable for partially sighted, rather than blind people.
While the Tyros 5 is older, it has many of the sounds found on the SX900 (except for many of the drums.) It even has S.Art2! voices, which PSR keyboards lack. Luckily for me, it has buttons rather than a touch screen, so I can play the demos much easier. However, I really like the drums of the SX900, that are mini versions of the Revo!drums of the Genos.
While the PSR-A5000 has a few of the drums found on the Genos (and many more that aren't), it still lacks in a few ways. For example, the ConcertGrand is the only S.Art! piano; the rest are Live! voices, versions that aren't that great-sounding and don't have great demos. It doesn't even have the eight best organs that are on all the others. However, it does have many voices from around the world, that I know I'll want to use. As I said in my channel trailer, after going on a virtual tour of a few museums last year, I found that I want to write music with elements of other countries mixed in.
All of these keyboards are wonderful, I can't decide which one I want. All of them have great sounds, some more so than others, but they all have their own features that make all three shine (unlike my current keyboard, as I stated.)
I'm sorry for this post being so long, but there are so many things that make me want each one. Since I can only choose one, I have no idea which one I really want.
Help is appreciated.
Alex
A keyboard contains many mechanical switches or push-buttons called "keys". Psr s 670 have very nice push buttons.. of plastic.. very good quality. But sx900 the latest workstation not having the same but rubber push buttons.. I request next sx models must have psr s 670 type push buttons.. its my requestsx900 user
cliffordleo

Offline luiscarlos2000

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2021, 10:37:30 PM »
The next one I will by is the PSR-A5000. As many posts have mentioned, I'm also blind.
Don't know about the next PSR-A5000 shipment since someone here told me a fiew months or so?
Past Yamaha keyboards that I now don't use: PSR-S710, PSR-A2000
Current Yamaha keyboard I use: PSR-A3000
Next, or future, Yamaha keyboard I will use: PSR-A5000

Offline cliffordleo1965

• Assoc. Member
  • Yamaha is the best
    • cliffordleo
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2021, 01:37:11 PM »
Hello everyone!
Help is appreciated.
Alex
We need next keyboard bottens like psr s 670 it's very good quality not like sx900.. its made by plastic
So next sx model bottens should make good quality and in display memory bank place should come to right side and it should be little more space to touch now it was left upper side small to touch only finger
To touch need easy way.. touch screen is good
cliffordleo

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2021, 06:03:18 PM »
A keyboard contains many mechanical switches or push-buttons called "keys". Psr s 670 have very nice push buttons.. of plastic.. very good quality. But sx900 the latest workstation not having the same but rubber push buttons.. I request next sx models must have psr s 670 type push buttons.. its my requestsx900 user
I believe the keys of the S670 are the same as the rest of the S series (S770, S775, S970, S97e), as well as the PSR-SX600. If you like the keys of the S670, the SX600 is a big update. However, that is the keyboard I have, and for me, the keys on those keyboards are not as good as the SX700, SX900 or A5000.

Offline cliffordleo1965

• Assoc. Member
  • Yamaha is the best
    • cliffordleo
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2021, 05:39:20 AM »
i,m not telling about voice playing key,s
i,m telling about push buttons. styles operating and other all buttons quality is in psr sx 900 was rubbered. but  in psr s 670 it's very good quality not like sx900.. its made by plastic
So next sx model buttons should make good quality and in display memory bank place should come to right side and it should be little more space to touch now it was left upper side small to touch only with  finger tipp, also same problem for midi and audio to tuch space was less.. to be noted what i,m telling about it.
clifford leo dsouza sx 900 user..
i installed 11 expansion packs created in yep. soft.. nicely
cliffordleo

Offline cliffordleo1965

• Assoc. Member
  • Yamaha is the best
    • cliffordleo
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2021, 05:43:01 AM »
I have done a lot of research since my last post, but I am still having a very hard time deciding. I have taken one option off the list, the A5000. It comes down to the PSR-SX900 or the Tyros 5. Here are the pros and cons of each, that I am aware of (and that may be useful for a decision.)
SX900 pros:
can install expansion packs the same way as my SX600
Bluetooth audio
drums based on the Revo!drums of the Genos
1 GB expansion voice memory
best speakers
SX900 cons:
touch screen (I am completely blind)
no S.Art2! voices
no ensemble voices
pros of Tyros 5:
has both grand and upright pianos (like the SX900, but I didn't say it above)
buttons instead of a touch screen
a gigabyte of expansion memory (with module)
61 or 76 keys
better keys than SX900
aftertouch
Tyros 5 cons:
older keyboard
has pitch bend/modulation wheels rather than a joystick
doesn't have Revo!drums or anything close to them
doesn't have control knobs
no speakers
I still have no idea which one to choose.

i,m not telling about voice playing key,s
i,m telling about push buttons. styles operating and other all buttons quality is in psr sx 900 was rubbered. but  in psr s 670 it's very good quality not like sx900.. its made by plastic
So next sx model buttons should make good quality and in display memory bank place should come to right side and it should be little more space to touch now it was left upper side small to touch only with  finger tipp, also same problem for midi and audio to tuch space was less.. to be noted what i,m telling about it.
clifford leo dsouza sx 900 user..
i installed 11 expansion packs created in yep. soft.. nicely
cliffordleo

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2022, 07:23:06 PM »
I thought of another keyboard idea I might want to get. The fact that none of Yamaha's newer professional keyboards do not have the USB audio interface. By that, I mean that on the SX700/900, Genos, A5000 and even the Tyros, it is impossible to connect them to the computer and listen to the sound on my computer speakers. I can do this on the SX600, and this is a very important feature for me because I can record directly on my computer.
Also, many of the new arrangers have touch screens. I know there is voice guide, but I do not like the voice that much.
The SX600 doesn't have enough good voices, and the higher models don't have the good features. I know the next keyboards I'll mention are older models, but do the PSR-S970 or S975 have the USB audio feature? They have more of the voices I'm looking for.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 09:22:14 PM by DJIncendration »

Offline mixermixer

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2022, 03:58:47 PM »
What do you mean by USB audio? Which plug? I can playback MP3/WAV USB audio from my thumbstick/flashdrive from the S770 and SX900. None of the Yamaha arranger keyboards have the ability to stream audio via USB to PC, it's just a USB MIDI implementation that makes the keyboard a MIDI controller.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2022, 08:16:27 PM »
He  means the odd choice that the PSRsx600 is the first one to include an audio interface, *none* of the other PSR's have this option. Which is weird, since the sound library for the PSRsx600 is shared with DGX670, and the basis for PSRA5000.

As for his requirements? I think Tyros 5 as well.
Mark

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2022, 09:25:06 PM »
Are you saying that yes, on the S970/S975 and Tyros5, I can connect the keyboard to the computer with USB Host and use it to record audio? The listening from the computer speakers in real time isn't as important, just the first part.
I really wish the SX900/700/Genos/A5000 had the same feature as the SX600, but since they don't, that's why I'm looking for other options.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2022, 11:49:50 PM »
unfortunately no, only the psrsx600 has an audio interface.
Unless you go for a Modx, Montage, etc. PSRsx600 is the only Yamaha arranger

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2022, 04:10:05 PM »
I really think that Yamaha should make more arrangers with the built-in audio interface. They should also keep the buttons of the SX600 while adding better voices.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 05:27:57 AM by DJIncendration »