Author Topic: playlist scrolling  (Read 3334 times)

Offline tommac

playlist scrolling
« on: April 16, 2021, 11:21:56 AM »
Newbie question .--I have imported the T5 musicfinder files into Genos but does anyone know a quicker way to scroll through 2000 odd titles on playlist please. Takes ages to use the down arrow .Thanks
Yamaha Genos

Re: playlist scrolling
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 01:25:11 PM »
Hi Tommac,

I'm not at my Genos at the moment but several of the arrow (scrolling) functions can be triggered with the wheel to the right of the display. See if that works.

- Lee
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline tommac

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 02:21:20 PM »
Thanks--yes the wheel works but if its at the end of the alphabet its a bit of a yawn. Maybe i`m just impatient.
Yamaha Genos

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 02:27:49 PM »
Thanks--yes the wheel works but if its at the end of the alphabet its a bit of a yawn. Maybe i`m just impatient.

Then your best bet is to divide up your playlist. By genre, for example, or by first letter.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 02:39:14 PM »
Good idea, Fred. Can Tommac import all 2,000 songs into a PC or Mac for faster categorizing or perhaps start the Genos as a separate drive on a PC? Would that work? I never use the playlist feature so I don't know much about it.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 03:13:10 PM »
Good idea, Fred. Can Tommac import all 2,000 songs into a PC or Mac for faster categorizing or perhaps start the Genos as a separate drive on a PC? Would that work? I never use the playlist feature so I don't know much about it.

A playlist is a .tsv file (Tab Separated Values). Any spreadsheet can handle them. My preference is Google Sheets.

If it was me, I wouldn’t even import them. I would start the keyboard in Storage Mode (power on + Playlist button), and work directly on the file. Should be able to separate the file into 26 letter-based files in less than 15 minutes.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 03:16:15 PM »
Thanks, Fred!

Offline Jakkims

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 05:37:04 AM »
Tommac,
Sorry if this is a silly question, but are you familiar with the Search feature? If you just want a particular song title this is the quickest way to find it.
Regards,
Jakki.

Offline ckobu

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2021, 08:47:20 AM »
Whichever way we approach it, as soon as we have more than 100 tracks on one playlist there is a problem with the selection and we are slow. Let's say we have 500 of them. If we break them down into 5 different Playlists we have to call up a new one again which takes time. If all 500 remain in one playlist, in order to reach 450 with 10 we have to click xy times or scroll the dial for 5-6 seconds. For this reason alone I do not use Playlists. They are slow and confusing to me when I perform live. My suggestion to Yamaha is to install a simple dial with which access would be quick and easy even if it had a few thousand records in one Playlist. I have shown this in this part of the video.

https://youtu.be/BF6ckJeQyIE?t=242
(eng subtitles)

@Tommac - The search you mention is not about Playlists but about registrations. If we use such a selection method, the playlists do not make sense because the Registration search can be done directly from its menu.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 08:54:28 AM by ckobu »
Watch my video channel

Offline tommac

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2021, 12:27:06 PM »
Tommac,
Sorry if this is a silly question, but are you familiar with the Search feature? If you just want a particular song title this is the quickest way to find it.
Regards,
Jakki.

Hi--yes i`m familiar with it and its a brilliant feature however when trying to call up a song title from the imported T5  musicfinder file ( 2000 odd titles) which is now a playlist, I cannot find a way of
quickly scrolling through to the end. If I search for a title then as someone stated above it finds it but does not load it just asks if I want to add to playlist. Maybe i`m just being thick. 

Thank you all for the input. I know what I mean but its tricky to explain. :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 12:32:26 PM by tommac »
Yamaha Genos

Offline ckobu

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2021, 12:50:23 PM »
I understand you because all of this is poorly explained in the instructions and leads to confusion. The search (Registration) was solved excellently, I tried to explain it in an understandable way in this video.

https://youtu.be/-bipCNkMj98?t=115

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2021, 02:41:24 PM »
@Tommac - The search you mention is not about Playlists but about registrations. If we use such a selection method, the playlists do not make sense because the Registration search can be done directly from its menu.
The one thing I miss from the Tyros 5 is the way Registrations were displayed as a vertical list. The Genos only displays them as a page tabs - not as easy to scroll through a list with the wheel. I often skip past the song I was looking for. With a list you can see far more songs and you get a more accurate visual cue when you're desired song is coming up on the list.

I suppose the Playlist would work for this? I too find the Playlist annoying to use. It's too clunky for loading songs. It could be that I've had too many birthdays ::)! I'm still using the original OS and am afraid to upgrade in case I lose all my stuff >:(.

Offline ckobu

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2021, 02:49:25 PM »
I totally agree. In addition to such a display that is now missing in Registrations, at Tyros we had the numerical dialing I suggested. I hope Yamaha will do something about it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2021, 02:59:40 PM »
That's what I'm talking about. I used that list system all the time in shows. I had 250 registrations and it was still very fast. I never used the page tab display. Too clunky.