Author Topic: Backing up Files On SX900  (Read 2460 times)

Offline Bernie9

Backing up Files On SX900
« on: April 15, 2021, 09:44:11 AM »
I have just finished making performance registrations, including some with SMF tracks saved with them.  I want to make sure I safeguard them.  What is the best method?

Offline andyg

Re: Backing up Files On SX900
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 11:27:40 AM »
I'd copy everything, registrations, SMFs, any User Styles etc, to a USB stick.

Then, when everything's copied, for extra security, take the USB stick to your computer. Create a folder somewhere on the computer's drive (mine's imaginatively called Yamaha Backup), create a sub-folder with a date in its name - like SX900-15-04-21. Copy all the data from the USB stick into that folder.

If you're really worried about losing that, do a regular backup of all your computer's important data to a separate plug-in hard drive that is normally not connected to the PC. That is a protection against hard drive failure in the PC and also against the rare possibility of a ransomware attack.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline ckobu

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 12:11:20 PM »
There are several ways to access a backup.
1. if all the content (with Bernie9 it is Reg + SMF) is in the USER keyboard, the Full Backup method can be used
(video with English subtitles)
https://youtu.be/qiAZ8Yowqk0

2. If something (let's say it's SMF) is on a USB stick, then in addition to method 1, there should be a backup copy of the content from the USB stick (duplicate content to HD computer, as suggested by @andyg)

In addition, care should be taken to ensure that sounds from Expansion Memory are used in SMF files. In that case, you should also make a backup copy of that content, in fact what is in the Yamaha Expansion Manager (YEM) .
https://youtu.be/PmqB_FtxapQ

If you do not want to use the method under 1., only some parts of the keyboard can be backed up.
https://youtu.be/W0GhgoXf3gk
Watch my video channel

Offline Bernie9

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 08:15:22 PM »
Thank you gentlemen. With your precise instructions, it was a breeze.  I have archived the alternate methods for future reference.

Bernie

Offline Bernie9

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 01:02:56 PM »
I am afraid I lost entire User bank.  I used a new formatted USB, and backed up System, Regis, and Midi per instructions.  I turn the keyboard on this morning, and no User showing at all. I finally retrieved my" psrSX900. bup" from my pc, formatted USB in kb, and reloaded into SX900. The bup loaded into the kb, and was acknowledged by the system, restarted but still not showing, but 478Kb went in without any error.

I don't understand where all of my registration are,

Offline ckobu

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 04:57:50 PM »
The BUP of 478 kb is very little content, I doubt it is the correct BUP file.
Where were the Registrations and where was the SONG? They can be on a USB stick, or in USER keyboards. They can also be located directly in the ROOT, but can be stacked in separate folders. It would be best to take a picture of the screen when you access USER so we can see what it’s all about.
I’m afraid you didn’t create the wrong BUP file and then “overwrite” existing registrations and a song with such content.
Watch my video channel

Offline Bernie9

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 08:13:21 PM »
Everything was in User, consisting of 75 song styles 30 CDG audio(not checked), and 50 SMF registrations.
Storage shows correct USB used/available, but USER shows full 4 gb available, so appears empty, as it appears in the main window.

I must have deleted User by mistake, and the ,bup must be devoid of song data.  I remember the
usual warning when I formatted a USB stick to use for b'up, but there could have been another I should have heeded.

Thank you for your help, but I guess I will have reconstruct, as you say 478KB is not enough to represent my registrations.  I have my pa4X in the wings, so I wil do the gig with it.