Author Topic: Voice and style expansion for Tyros 4  (Read 7862 times)

Marchrabbit

Voice and style expansion for Tyros 4
« on: January 24, 2021, 08:51:19 AM »
Hello. I recently bought a Yamaha Tyros 4 instrument. I chose between the PSR SX 700 and the Tyros 4. A friend suggested choosing the Tyros 4 as it contains more options. Today I have a problem as I can't download new sounds to my Tyros 4 anywhere. I've been thinking of selling the Tyros 4 and buying the PSR SX 700 to get access to new sounds and styles. Do you have any good news on how I can get new sounds for my Tyros 4 instrument? Do I really need to install a memory extension for this? Thank you for your help.

Offline EileenL

Re: Voice and style expansion for Tyros 4
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 01:57:42 PM »
There will not be any packs for Tyros 4 so you will have to rely on getting some UVN files and of course you will need memory for these fitted into your keyboard if you have not got it already. Things have moved on quite a lot since Tyros 4. SX700 would probably give you more than Tyros 4 if you want to use voice packs. They are now free from Yamaha and you will already have some flash memory fitted but not sure what size. In the SX900 it is One Gb.

Marchrabbit

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 02:41:05 PM »
Thank you . Its very sad to sell my Tyros again.

Marchrabbit

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 02:18:40 PM »
However, I have decided not to sell my Tyros 4. I plan to add more flash memory to download the superior package. How much memory should I add? Is 512 MB enough?

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 05:50:36 PM »
Marchrabbit. Don't forget there are many VCE's Voices you can download from here.
These are Editored Voices from the built-in voices already on your T4 (Voice Sets)
They are excellent and I use them daily on my T5.

CLICK HERE.
https://psrtutorial.com/sty/OF/index.html
DGX670

The following users thanked this post: tyrosguy85

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 06:36:36 PM »
However, I have decided not to sell my Tyros 4. I plan to add more flash memory to download the superior package. How much memory should I add? Is 512 MB enough?

More memory is always better. Get the 1Gb module.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 06:57:32 PM »

Hi Marchrabbit,

512 MB is not a lot. I recommend at least 1 GB, better the 2 GB module. (The latter is not available from Yamaha, but exclusively from MUTEC.)

But please note: The Tyros4 is NOT compatible with the current Yamaha Expansion Manager (YEM) technology. Current Expansion Packs in .PPF / .CPF format can NOT be used!

On the Tyros4 you can only use so-called "Custom Voices" in the .UVN (Normal Voices) or .UVD (Drum Voices) format, which was introduced with the Tyros3. (There were also paid Tyros4 Premium Packs from Yamaha. These are currently no longer available.)

You can also use Tyros2 Custom Voices (.TVN / .TVD format) on the Tyros4. However, these must first be converted into .UVN / .UVD format with the "Tyros3 FileConverter".

Basically, you should also consider that you only have ONE Custom Voice Bank on the Tyros4 (a total of only 128 Normal Voice slots plus 20 Drum Voice slots). (With YEM technology, e.g. on the Tyros5 or Genos, up to 128 PACKS are theoretically possible, each of which can contain up to 128 Normal Voices plus 128 Drum Voices.)

You can download the "Tyros3 Euro Pack" from Yamaha here for free:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/index.html?c=keyboards&k=tyros3

The "Tyros3 Super Editon" also available there can also be used on the Tyros4. However, this is actually the "Tyros2 SE" pack. Therefore, the included .TVN Voices must first be converted to .UVN using the "Tyros3 FileConverter" mentioned above.

You can find many other .UVN or .TVN Voice files online, e.g. by doing a Google search. Here is a French site on which (among other things) such Tyros4 Custom Voice files can be found:
>>> http://fred17.eklablog.com/voices-tyros-et-voices-diverses-c25836400

Hope this helps!

Chris
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 07:03:19 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: tyrosguy85, wersianer

Marchrabbit

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 05:46:02 PM »
Thank you!

I order 1GB MUTEC Flash memory expansion from  Musikhaus Thomann and after that i order Yamaha Tyros superior pack. I think  Its good for me. 8)

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 06:47:18 PM »
Thank you!

I order 1GB MUTEC Flash memory expansion from  Musikhaus Thomann and after that i order Yamaha Tyros superior pack. I think  Its good for me. 8)

Hi Marchrabbit,

yes, 1 GB of Expansion Memory and the (relatively new) "Tyros4 Superior Pack" from the company "PlaySounds" is a good choice, I think. According to the information on the product page, the Pack is 487 MB. So you still have space left over to install more UVN Voices if desired.
>>> https://playsoundsusa.wixsite.com/playsounds-store/tyros-4-superior-pack

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline dragonkeys

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 09:07:35 PM »
I have the Superior Pack from PlaySounds

I am amazed with the quality of the voices and drums, this definitely renews my Tyros 4.

I share on drobox some quick demos that I recorded.

Cheers

David

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f175etn72iot5v5/AAAWaTJZP-pzqPJ8-Oh4ihPBa?dl=0

LoriDano

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2021, 08:52:32 PM »
If I  purchase 1GB MUTEC Flash memory expansion from  Musikhaus Thomann for my Tyros 4, how do I install it?

Lorrie

Offline EileenL

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2021, 10:28:15 PM »
It shows you in the back of the Manual.

LoriDano

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 11:15:49 PM »
I am not that sauvy when it comes to technology, but when I bought the Tyros 4, i added the hard drve to the keyboard.  It says I have 232 GB of free space. Would the free space be enough for me to install Playsounds product for Tyros 4 or do I need to add more memory?  Thank you in advance for your knowledge and response

Offline overover

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2021, 12:50:00 AM »
I am not that sauvy when it comes to technology, but when I bought the Tyros 4, i added the hard drve to the keyboard.  It says I have 232 GB of free space. Would the free space be enough for me to install Playsounds product for Tyros 4 or do I need to add more memory?  Thank you in advance for your knowledge and response

Hi LoriDano,

Hard disk space has little to do with installing Expansion Packs or Expansion Voices on the Tyros4.

There is indeed the "_ExpansionPack" folder on the hard drive, in which certain files from the Yamaha T4 Premium Packs (currently no longer available!) are stored. However, the WAV data of Premium Packs and also of installed, so-called "Custom Voices" (such as used by the Playsounds "Tyros4 Superior Pack" mentioned) are saved in the optional "Flash ROM Expansion Memory".

In any case, you have to install a "Flash ROM Expansion Module" on your Tyros4 in order to be able to install Expansion Voices. According to the manufacturer, the Pack requires almost 500MB of Expansion Memory. Probably the best recommendation in your case is to install a 1GB (1024MB) module (from Yamaha or, much cheaper, from MUTEC). Such 1 GB Expansion Memory modules are often available very cheaply from Yamaha dealers. (By the way, they are the same modules that the T5 uses.)

MUTEC even offers a 2GB module. But on the T4 you can usually not use this fully due to internal limitations. Please note: There is only one Custom Voice bank on the T4 (maximum 128 Normal Voice slots for UVN files plus 20 Drum Voice slots for UVD files). The Playsounds T4 Superior Pack already contains over 50 Normal Voices plus 12 Drum Voices).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 12:56:10 AM by overover »

LoriDano

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2021, 02:41:09 AM »
Thank you for your thorough explanation..