Author Topic: Upgrade-Increase Genos RAM  (Read 5335 times)

Offline chony

Upgrade-Increase Genos RAM
« on: July 14, 2020, 04:33:56 AM »
I haven’t seen this discussed but I know there are a lot of talented and knowledge people on this board.

If I want to open my Genos, replace and increase the RAM — is that possible? And how?
On the T5 there were non-Yamaha vendors who made the 2GB card and it worked. Maybe for Genos too? (I need 6gb for my current live sets and it’s only going to grow.)

And even if it is possible, would we run into WAV / sample limits?

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Upgrade-Increase Genos RAM
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 12:12:55 PM »
It’s not possible to increase the RAM.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 01:33:14 PM »
Genos now has a built in Expansion memory that can only be altered if Yamaha choose to do so.
  I think most people are happy with three Gb. After all you can only play so many sounds at a time.

blackpool

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 02:03:16 PM »
Agree Eileen ... I dont use hardy any of my user memory, even with 1gb on the little 700
Although ...I have to say ...WHY should user memory be limited for those who want more??, when its readily available on any USB
I can never get my head around this.

If anything needs raising on some keyboards its the polyphony. On some of my cheaper boards with low poly. some notes and sounds do drop out.

Keith

kla4

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 02:49:54 PM »
@Chony, the memory boards that can be inserted into the Tyros5 are not RAM boards but FLASH (non volatile) memory for storage of samples/voices.

RAM (random access memory) is used to let the processor do his 'work'

Genos has 3 GB of expansion (flash) memory for samples/voices ..... what is huge.
Genos has a 57 GB USER drive (kind of Solid State Drive) for storage of Registrations, styles, audio, midis etc.)

My question: What are you planning to store in the 6 GB you mentioned?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 02:52:43 PM by kla4 »

Bachus

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 05:57:29 PM »
Genos now has a built in Expansion memory that can only be altered if Yamaha choose to do so.
  I think most people are happy with three Gb. After all you can only play so many sounds at a time.

Its the keyboard with the largest ram..
Its even bigger then the montage..
So no one can complain about this i guess..
Espescially since the genos covers most of the basic sounds..

The following users thanked this post: chony

Offline chony

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 06:35:04 PM »
Ok, it seems I didn't explain myself. Yes, of course I know that you officially can't replace the flash (my mistake in calling it RAM). My question is can I unofficially do it. Can I literally unscrew or unsolder the flash and replace it with something bigger? (Yes I know I will void my warranty etc etc etc - I'm not concerned.) So I'm asking if there's anybody here who know has opened the board, knows the physical mechanics and guts of the machine.

To those who question why 3gb is not enough, the answer in short is REX.

I perform for a living. I do about 150 weddings a year and the Genos is my main tool. (I've gratefully performed about 1800 weddings so far, in 38 of the United States, all through South America, Canada and Europe.) I make most of my own sounds and styles.

Here is a snapshot and quick recording of just my funk/disco styles. I brought a drummer to a studio for a full day just to record the loops in this pack. (Just the drummer and studio costed me about $1500.) This pack alone is 350 MB, and it's only one pack with ten styles. I have rock, jewish, arabic, horra, and EDM packs too. Not to mention there are great packs by other artists out there for sale. So unfortunately I've long ago reached the point that I have to constantly curate and off-load great content that I spend tons of money and energy making.

I have hundreds more loops that I've recorded with my drummer just sitting on my computer just waiting for the opportunity to be heard! AudioPhraser was looking like it could be the solution (even though there's a lag in loading), but they still haven't fixed the "fill" issue three years later...

So that my friends, is why I NEED more flash.

Listen https://www.dropbox.com/s/6k6ubcr92k8u9gg/diso%20funk.m4a?dl=0

See here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xkb5wo2tei6um93/Screen%20Shot%202020-07-14%20at%2012.42.31%20PM.png?dl=0

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

blackpool

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 06:49:36 PM »
IMHO.... that sounds rather risky!!

I no longer own a Genos - I now have an SX
But I do recall the Genos having a concealed USB socket which you could access by unscrewing a cover on the underside...
Would that not be a simpler solution if you could fit a large capacity USB to it and use that drive...if it will work for you ??
i am not sure what can/cant be loaded to this ...

Keith
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 06:56:21 PM by blackpool »

Offline DerekA

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 07:20:20 PM »
Chony, you want to run a daw on a laptop and play your samples from there. Your use case does not fit what genos is designed for. A computer will store hundreds of GB if you want.
Genos

Offline chony

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 08:11:23 PM »
That is incorrect. Genos is absolutely designs for this, in fact Yamaha programed the ability to use REX files. It was a big announcement when that was done. The only thing it isn’t designed for is the large volume that I’m doing it in. Unfortunately laptop isn’t a viable option because REX files are styles, not sounds.

I’m almost convinced there’s gotta be a way to increase the ram. It my be complicated and risky but with the right knowledge it’s doable.

Offline overover

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 09:05:07 PM »
... I’m almost convinced there’s gotta be a way to increase the ram. It my be complicated and risky but with the right knowledge it’s doable.

Hi Chony,

due to the hardware specifications, in my opinion it will be very hard to bring more Expansion Wave memory in a Genos.

The Genos has 2*1GB of NAND Flash memory for the wave data of the Preset Voices (at the first Tone Generator IC "SWP70 Master").

And there are 4*1GB of NAND Flash memory for the wave data of the Expansion Voices (at the second Tone Generator IC "SWP70 Slave").

Maybe Yamaha can increase the 3GB Expansion Wave memory that we already have to the full 4GB by a future Firmware Update. But I think the EXCHANGE of the current NAND Flash ICs (firmly soldered to the mainboard) for bigger ones is simply impossible.

Please see also the attached picture (a detail from the Genos Block Diagram).

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 09:09:03 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: chony, bluali, Dromeus

Offline DerekA

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 09:23:57 PM »
The only thing it isn’t designed for is the large volume that I’m doing it in. Unfortunately laptop isn’t a viable option because REX files are styles, not sounds.

That's what I meant. The expansion capability is not intended to be used on the industrial scale that you want to.

But I didn't know that REX were styles, so that's something I've learned :)
Genos

The following users thanked this post: torben

Offline Toril S

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2020, 09:43:07 PM »
Please do not try this. You will ruin a perfectly fine instrument!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline overover

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2020, 09:49:44 PM »
... But I didn't know that REX were styles, so that's something I've learned :)

Hi Derek,

a REX file (usually .rx2 extension) is basically an Audio file (NOT a Style).

A REX file contains a "sliced" Audio Loop (usually created by a program like "ReCycle"). The original Audio Loop is devided in several short sections here. These sections can be triggered by a MIDI file (or a Style or a Multi Pad) later, so that the original Audio Loop can be played back in a different Tempo, if desired.

When a REX file is imported into the YEM, the following six files are automatically created: one Custom Drum Voice, one Custom Normal Voice, two Style files and two Multi Pad files. With these Styles or Multi Pads the created Voices can be played.

Please look at this YouTube video from Yamaha Global:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bObx-jaxiUs

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 09:52:59 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: chony, bluali

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2020, 10:47:45 PM »

Sent you a PM chony.
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

Bachus

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2020, 01:16:43 PM »
Ok, it seems I didn't explain myself. Yes, of course I know that you officially can't replace the flash (my mistake in calling it RAM). My question is can I unofficially do it. Can I literally unscrew or unsolder the flash and replace it with something bigger? (Yes I know I will void my warranty etc etc etc - I'm not concerned.) So I'm asking if there's anybody here who know has opened the board, knows the physical mechanics and guts of the machine.

To those who question why 3gb is not enough, the answer in short is REX.

I perform for a living. I do about 150 weddings a year and the Genos is my main tool. (I've gratefully performed about 1800 weddings so far, in 38 of the United States, all through South America, Canada and Europe.) I make most of my own sounds and styles.

Here is a snapshot and quick recording of just my funk/disco styles. I brought a drummer to a studio for a full day just to record the loops in this pack. (Just the drummer and studio costed me about $1500.) This pack alone is 350 MB, and it's only one pack with ten styles. I have rock, jewish, arabic, horra, and EDM packs too. Not to mention there are great packs by other artists out there for sale. So unfortunately I've long ago reached the point that I have to constantly curate and off-load great content that I spend tons of money and energy making.

I have hundreds more loops that I've recorded with my drummer just sitting on my computer just waiting for the opportunity to be heard! AudioPhraser was looking like it could be the solution (even though there's a lag in loading), but they still haven't fixed the "fill" issue three years later...

Listen https://www.dropbox.com/s/6k6ubcr92k8u9gg/diso%20funk.m4a?dl=0

See here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xkb5wo2tei6um93/Screen%20Shot%202020-07-14%20at%2012.42.31%20PM.png?dl=0

You can not replace it with normal ram.
Its specific chips..
And if you find the specific chips, The os of the Genos willnot recognise it

No,it cant be done

The following users thanked this post: chony

Offline chony

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2020, 04:26:59 PM »
 :(

Well, it was worth an ask! Thank you everybody for your help!

Offline DerekA

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2020, 11:59:52 PM »
a REX file (usually .rx2 extension) is basically an Audio file (NOT a Style).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bObx-jaxiUs

Very interesting Chris, thanks !
Genos

Offline ckobu

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2020, 12:18:51 AM »
Very interesting Chris, thanks !

Yes, anything can be done with Rex and Aus files. They can even sing via VH2 ...  ;D
Sorry off topic  :-X

https://youtu.be/NDvZDPfCmPU

Offline DerekA

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2020, 11:32:29 AM »
They can even sing via VH2 ...  ;D
https://youtu.be/NDvZDPfCmPU

That was a sneaky trick Casper - I wondered how you had done that! Very clever!

Pino

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2020, 11:53:25 AM »
I think all of Casper’s videos are really EXCELLENT.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Pino

Offline metcam

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2020, 12:04:16 PM »
I think all of Casper’s videos are really EXCELLENT.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Pino

I agree!
Casper is probably No1 knowledge person for Yamaha !! 
His videos help me a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/c/tutorsynth/videos

Best regards!
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland