Author Topic: Registration Rules and Tips  (Read 2131 times)

Offline anandmaloo

Registration Rules and Tips
« on: July 13, 2020, 12:17:01 PM »
Hi,

While making registrations, i usually follow some rules. Listing them down here. Please feel free to advise to add or modify them.

1) The First registration saves following info  voice, Temp, Transpose, Keyboard Harmony, Style, Multipad, Text, Vocal Harmony
2) Second reg on wards, I check only voice, style and multipad. I don't choose others because tempo, transpose, Keyboard Harmony, Vocal and Text will not change for me (most of the time). Also, it becomes much easier to change the transpose or tempo of a registration set. You only need to change the first one !
3) Generally there are 3-4 registrations in a song for me. And I often use a text file for lyrics. So If I have to refer to the first registration again while playing, the page of the text file changes to page 1 of the text file again. Hence as a rule, I keep a gap of one registration and save one registration as similar to first registration without checking the text box. This helps me retain the same page of the lyrics. To explain, if I have 3 registrations in a song, I will keep the fourth one blank and save the 5th registration same as 1st registration without the text box checked.
4) Many a times, I need extra echo and reverb in mic, only for short duration, for an example at the beginning or end of a ballad or soulful number. Hence my 10th registration is reserved for vocal change only. The ninth one will revert back the mic voice to the normal reverb or echo. (so 9th and 10th store only vocal info)

5) I generally reserve the middle registrations (5-8) for any additional voices if required.  I try to keep one blank on both sides of these voice registrations, to easily identify them.
6) I use playlists a lot. I make them based on the following - Singers, Showcase songs (songs which are very good for showing off :) your playing or singing), Playable only songs (good for playing but not singing), Soulful songs, fast songs, slow songs etc
7) I have saved all my registrations, styles and multipads on the USB only. And I take a monthly backup of them

I know it is possible to name each of the 10 registrations separately for identification, but I find that too much, hence I follow these rules.

Thanks and Regards

Anand

Pino

Re: Registration Rules and Tips
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 01:48:54 PM »
It was nice to read your post, looks like you have a good understanding of how registrations work, it’s the 1st registration that is the most important, if that’s not correct then it makes it hard work to re-edit the whole thing. I name the first registration only, good post.

Pino

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 03:02:09 PM »
I use the Sequencer for all my registrations. This way, I don’t have to remember what’s where. All I have to do is follow the sequence.

I agree that all registrations, including the first, should have only those groups checked that you want the registration to change.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Wim

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 06:42:49 PM »
I think one improvement they must make for the sequencer is to synchronize it by opening the registration. And you not have to put it manually or by pedal  at number i position  first.

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 07:55:29 PM »
Hi,

While making registrations, i usually follow some rules. Listing them down here. Please feel free to advise to add or modify them.

1) The First registration saves following info  voice, Temp, Transpose, Keyboard Harmony, Style, Multipad, Text, Vocal Harmony
2) Second reg on wards, I check only voice, style and multipad. I don't choose others because tempo, transpose, Keyboard Harmony, Vocal and Text will not change for me (most of the time). ...

Hi Anand,

I recommend that if VOICE group is checked when saving Registrations, always HARMONY ("Harmony/Echo") should also be selected. This is also important if the Keyboard Harmony function ("Harmony/Echo") is deactivated when saving a Registration, because this is the only way to deactivate "Harmony/Echo" by calling up a Reg (if this feature was previously active, e.g. by the previous Reg).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 08:44:06 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

blackpool

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 08:11:16 PM »
I use a full bank for each of my song titles ... and then if i have several versions of the same song in different styles i have 7 more buttons on the SX to use ( 9 of course on a genos )  I simply edit the OTS where needed, and use those 4 for each version of the songs, which is enough for me, plus i can use the pedal function to change these. The other good thing is, you can have 4 different OTS for each individual registration in the bank. I do think 4 sound changes is enough for most tunes myself.
I do have some tunes over 2 buttons and then just leave a button free, so I remember I have 8 OTS for those.

EXTRA HIDDEN BONUS OF FREEZE!! - re saving the frozen settings works..then switch it off!!
I have noticed if i use/copy any imported regis it can b**** things up, so i use freeze just with my basics settings ticked ... then resave the imported reg while freeze is STILL activated and it works a treat to keep my own settings and imports the other stuff, like style tempo and voices which is all i want from these.
It is clever that freeze function i find, for holding on to my basic functions and then when you re-save you can of course switch it off and these items are still set up as they were.

Keith
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 11:47:54 AM by blackpool »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 12:50:49 AM »
I think one improvement they must make for the sequencer is to synchronize it by opening the registration. And you not have to put it manually or by pedal  at number i position  first.

The sequence for a new registration bank defaults to 12345678 (9, 10).

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons