Author Topic: Genos and SF2?  (Read 6189 times)

Bachus

Genos and SF2?
« on: July 11, 2020, 02:42:26 PM »
Do you load SF2 sound/sample packs in your Genos?

Do you create them yourself using tools like Sample robot?

Or do you just download them from a website? Get them from your local music store or friends?

There is a wealth of free SF2 sounds/samples for free available on the interwebs?

But its hard to find reviews of these samples, it takes a lot of time figuring out which add something to the Genos and which don’t (due to Genos allready high sound quallity). So any tips are welcome..

And then the next step, if you have created packs from free samples for Yem, do you or are you willing to share them?

And thats where i hope that we can have some social interaction, not everyone can or is willing to spend the time to create their own packs, but i guess we can make everyone here happy with some good new fresh sounds from time to time.. i myself plan to spend some time on this in the comming weeks... and as soon as i find a good/best way to share them, i will do so...

So whats your expereince with SF2 sounds and importing them to genos trough Yem.

The following users thanked this post: wersianer, KeyboardByBiggs

filoaman

Re: Genos and SF2?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 10:05:31 AM »
According my experience 99.99% of the free SF2 someone can find around, are just not good.
Not even close to the Genos sound quality. Furthermore, the few good are quite big (+20 for a single sounds!)
Even "commercial" SF2 are not at the same sound quality standard as Genos internal sounds.
Also not much "commercial" SF2 available. Not too many creators invest time and resources to create good quality SF2.

For me the only useful is sometimes specialized drum-kits, sound effects and... nothing more.
From time to time I found an SF2 with a decent sound quality on a specific region of the keyboard, but then outside the region, it is not good enough to compete Genos internal voices.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 11:31:22 AM »
Yes you have really got to go some to compete with the quality of sounds on the keyboard.

Offline robinez

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 01:05:08 PM »
I add sounds all the time (hundreds) to my genos. In my opinion most of the free SF2 files are really bad quality.

But if you sample your own VSTi's or synths then the quality can be even better then the onboard sounds (especially when you want those electronic sounds). For instance Leads from the Diva VST transfered to the genos outshines every lead sound in that area (although this is subjective and my own opinion). But also sampling your own EDM sounds from (for instance) a Virus TI or Avenger or Sylenth improves the EDM sound quality of the Genos a lot, i consider the delivered EDM sounds as very weak on the genos (even the Eurodance expansion which has rather outdated and lifeless sounds).

So it depends on what you are looking for, in my opinion the Genos sounds fantastic if you want to play covers from 1950 - 2010, the sounds after that area can be easely added yourself if you want to add those types of sounds. If you are more looking for sounds like guitars or woodwind, etc then don't bother, the quality of those kind of sounds on the Genos is much better then the sounds you will get when you sample them yourself or when you look for old soundfonts.

I use samplerobot and ableton live and cubase for that, but there are some tricks you need to know upfront to get good quality results on the Genos, but there are a quite a few discussions on this board about this topic and i don't really want to upset people with lots of explanations of how to do things, so if you want Bachus i could give you a quick video workshop with all the details and lots of sound examples, just sent me a private message and we will schedule a video meeting (my studio is setup for webinars with multiple cams, so i can quickly show you everything you need to know). This way we can avoid that the people over here get annoyed by the technical discussions and i think you will benefit a lot by seeing and hearing the examples in my studio of what is possible in that area.

Pino

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 01:19:29 PM »
In the next 10 years this forum will have to adapt to a different way of thinking, with all the new apps. popping up every month there is a lot more interest in sampling our own sounds and producing. there’s also a new breed of younger players coming up through the schools that need more than a 20 year old ‘StyleCreator’ to keep them interested.

Pino
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 01:58:18 PM by Pino »

Pino

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 01:29:30 PM »
Robinez, could you put a few short videos together on YouTube, there is a lot more interest in sampling our own sounds now that we have a bit more memory on our keyboards and there are many apps and different approaches to this subject, we could do with every bit of help that we can get starting with the basics, Thank you.

Pino

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 07:06:10 AM »
The sf2 is a very good file with many possibilities like multiple velocity sound and more...
The problem of free sf2 is the bad samples and the bad sampling, processing, mix etc ...
I have made many sf2 with my Genos with my sampling and the result is very good..
Here is a demo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhucLRj0cQ8  :) :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 12:16:14 PM by Sokratis1974 »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 01:24:38 PM »
Hi Eileen

I have a sample from Sampletank 4 for a choir and it is much better than the Genos ones IMO!! Genos has no decent Male choirs , they are all dubby dub doo doo cheesy stuff.
The Sf2 files are good quality
With Sample Robot Like Sokratis and Robinez say sky is the limit
You can sample keyboards like the Jupiter etc and even make your own field recordings into a sample.
For me yamaha packs are a thing of the past.
To answer Bachus Sample Robot is a no Brainer if you have a pile of VST's at home.

All the best
John
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Bachus

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 06:05:22 PM »
According my experience 99.99% of the free SF2 someone can find around, are just not good.
Not even close to the Genos sound quality. Furthermore, the few good are quite big (+20 for a single sounds!)
Even "commercial" SF2 are not at the same sound quality standard as Genos internal sounds.
Also not much "commercial" SF2 available. Not too many creators invest time and resources to create good quality SF2.

For me the only useful is sometimes specialized drum-kits, sound effects and... nothing more.
From time to time I found an SF2 with a decent sound quality on a specific region of the keyboard, but then outside the region, it is not good enough to compete Genos internal voices.

There are quite some high end sf2 sounds.
You just need to find them..
There is a lovely dp collection by pr3gatory creek.
Also found some lovel grandpiano’s at 200 -300 mb each..

But i agree so far most of these are miss..old and low quallity from back in those days

There is a link on the v-arranger forums to an 8GB GM bank..

Soi guess there must be more then these few

Offline danand

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 04:26:19 PM »
You can sample keyboards like the Jupiter

If you have Jupiter 8 in your studio (as far as I understand you have one,  since you need it in order to make the samples) you don't have any reason to spend your time with any other (toys...) keyboards...  :)

Offline overover

« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 10:34:51 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: wersianer

Bachus

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 08:08:48 PM »

Offline gabrielschuck

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2022, 02:41:49 AM »
My experience with Soundfonts is as follows: You can even get some results in creating your own sf2 files, but nothing compared to the SFZ format, with an SFZ player that actually supports the opcodes used.
Unfortunately the construction of a pack with instruments sampled in Yem is too limited, so that many times depending on the situation a voice from the keyboard itself is much better.
Top level keyboards already have wave cycling technology, but users have no control over it. This is disappointing.
It is not possible to create samples that alternate randomly or sequentially.
In SFZ, in addition to being able to do this, it is possible to have a sample to be triggered when the key is released.
Here's a demo of a viola caipira sample (an instrument widely used here in Brazil) that I'm making to run on my tyros5. For now, I only got this result on the computer in the original format and using the sfz player from RGC audio. When converting to SF2, some opcodes are missing and it doesn't look the way it should be:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mz7bdssxsjd9vdm/demoviola.mp3?dl=1
-------------------------------

keyboardist, arranger, composer and music producer

"Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, with sensitivity and intuition, never by rigid rules."

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2022, 03:26:35 PM »
Get Sample robot Bachus .
If you have VST 2 on your computer SKY IS THE LIMIT
I have had a word with the Sample Robot man himself and VST 3 is on the way in the next update.
It is really easy to sample with Robot
About 2 to 3hrs you would not look bachus!! ;D
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox