Author Topic: Why the YEM is slowly  (Read 4012 times)

Offline Esa

Why the YEM is slowly
« on: July 10, 2020, 07:17:25 PM »
i have never experienced such a slow file exchange as what yamaha yem offers
the stone Age
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 07:20:09 PM by Esa »

Offline svpworld

Re: Why the YEM is slowly
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 09:41:47 PM »
The new site isn't up and running properly yet, as you will notice by the thread on free packs next to this one. Not only is the website extremely slow, the downloads usually time out and if you manage to download them, they are in some odd format that isn't recognisable by anything. I would recommend waiting until they fix it.

Simon

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 10:31:17 PM »
YEM has nothing to do with the Music Soft site. It usually takes about 15 to 20 minutes to load a full install pack. Can sometimes be quicker if you load it Via wireless connection. Depends what speed you have on your Wi Fi.

The following users thanked this post: Stitch26

Bachus

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 02:24:46 PM »
YEM has nothing to do with the Music Soft site. It usually takes about 15 to 20 minutes to load a full install pack. Can sometimes be quicker if you load it Via wireless connection. Depends what speed you have on your Wi Fi.

Thats indeed true.. the speed of Yem has nothing to do with the music soft website..
They are 2 totally different things..

I think Yamaha in its design of this feature choose for reliabillity of the upgrade proces above speed.
Which might be a wise design choice..  espescially since the majority of people only updates Once in a few months or so..

But i can also understand that for people that continously upgrade their sounds, the process can feel lengthy..  but then why worry about this now?  Its not going to change untill we see Genos2.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 02:55:03 PM »
Don't expect to see a Genos 2 for some time yet. I like many others select sampled voices that we have not got on Genos and for me that is not many, but for others that probably will be different.
We now have 3Gb of memory which will store an awful lot of packs. I have only selected what I know I will use so have only had to go through the install process once. With the new update we had it is now possible to just add a pack to memory using the quick install so takes up much less time.

Bachus

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 03:21:24 PM »
Don't expect to see a Genos 2 for some time yet. I like many others select sampled voices that we have not got on Genos and for me that is not many, but for others that probably will be different.
We now have 3Gb of memory which will store an awful lot of packs. I have only selected what I know I will use so have only had to go through the install process once. With the new update we had it is now possible to just add a pack to memory using the quick install so takes up much less time.

I don’t expect it before end 2023 probably 2024..

3GB is probably more then most members will ever need..

But for people creating their own sounds from SF2 packs..
Or even creating their own SF2 packs with programs like sample robot
Those 3GB could be not enough..
Samples people create themselves are often huge in size (often 100’s of Megabytes/sound)
But then, i guess, for those people even 30GB would not be enough..

When you ask me, what i would love to see in the future..
I would say onboard edditing of sounds..
and the abbility to load single packs and sounds..(or delete them onboard)
But after having spend considerable time with Yem, i can live with it..
And espescialy am able to use it to create my own sounds based on sf2 samples..

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 08:03:08 PM »
Hi
Yem is a ZX Spectrum program and is far behind the times
You cannot load one pack at a time or individual sound banks.
It is very blocky and designed by a 5 year old.
I agree with Esa in what he is trying to say
The Yamaha musicsoft site is an abortion
SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW! to say the least
People forget we paid nearly £5000 for the Genos and that deserves a good edit program, even if we have to pay for it.
People moan about Yamaha not updating their old daw, but Cubase is fantastic companion to Genos and much more
YEM is pre- historic in terms of today's programs. No real thought for the paying enthusiasts.

You have to move with the times.
As Victor Meldrew says " I dont Believe It "1!! :P :P :P

As Hot Chocolate said  " No Doubt About It"!! :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 08:14:22 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2020, 11:04:21 PM »
Since Version Two we have been able to load individual packs from YEM to keyboard John.
  Musicsoft site is not something you would visit that often anyway so for me not a problem. As we know it is based in USA and run from there.
   I do get fed up with all the Yamaha bashing though. This used to be a very supportive site of these great keyboards but now all we seem to get are pages and pages of complaints. It is a musical instrument meant to be sat at and played. If you want to manufacture music then you don't need a keyboard to do it. Just used all these wonderful DAW's  and program's with a plug in keyboard to your computer.  KEEP MUSIC LIVE are signs you see every where but on here.
  I can not be the only one on here that is sick of hearing that Yamaha is designed by Five Year Olds and there technology is out of the ark. I know how hard there team works to bring us these great keyboards but no where do they say we have to buy them.
  Since being in lock down for the past sixteen weeks I have been listening to and watching some of the best keyboard players we have and what a joy it has been just seeing there skill in playing beautiful music of all types. It gives you something to work towards and improve on your playing.

The following users thanked this post: hans1966, KeyboardByBiggs

Bachus

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2020, 06:18:41 AM »
Since Version Two we have been able to load individual packs from YEM to keyboard John.
  Musicsoft site is not something you would visit that often anyway so for me not a problem. As we know it is based in USA and run from there.
   I do get fed up with all the Yamaha bashing though. This used to be a very supportive site of these great keyboards but now all we seem to get are pages and pages of complaints. It is a musical instrument meant to be sat at and played. If you want to manufacture music then you don't need a keyboard to do it. Just used all these wonderful DAW's  and program's with a plug in keyboard to your computer.  KEEP MUSIC LIVE are signs you see every where but on here.
  I can not be the only one on here that is sick of hearing that Yamaha is designed by Five Year Olds and there technology is out of the ark. I know how hard there team works to bring us these great keyboards but no where do they say we have to buy them.
  Since being in lock down for the past sixteen weeks I have been listening to and watching some of the best keyboard players we have and what a joy it has been just seeing there skill in playing beautiful music of all types. It gives you something to work towards and improve on your playing.

To some it may sound strange comming from me..
But i do agree with you mostly..

However, i think there is a huge difference between bashing Yamaha, which i see some people do here.
And being critical, and giving feedback..

When i look at the Genos its a beatifull instrument i enjoy every day and it motivates me to improve my paying..  hoever, i also see room for improvement, which needs to be talked about.. 

Personally i see very few questions these days about Genos features and how to use them, probably because the Genos works so straightforward and is easy to understand. And if the questions are asked they go pretty deep, and can only be answered by a few..  most users here are very happy with their Genos and don’t have much questions in this regards..

And then there is the 10 Genos boards, with specific questions asked about Genos being rallied to the 9 other  boards.. there was for example only a single Tyros 5 board, for all questions regarding T5.  This makes it also so there are only “negative critical topics” on the Genos General boards?

So thats also a reason most discussions end in negativity... because the possitive topics are not in abbundance..  maybe we could change this by starting one possitive Genos topic a day on this Genos General board?  If you want possitivity, you need possitive topics..
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 06:24:16 AM by Bachus »

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 09:42:16 AM »
Well we had Voice Creator before, and at that time I saw lot of people arguing that building your own voices would be so much easier with a decent PC software, and of course they're right. If you're familiar with the Yamaha Motifs/Montage/MODX and the slick tools offered by John Melas (3rd party,  extra cost) you know what I'm talking about. In contrast YEM is a nightmare. You may call this bashing, but it's simply the truth.

Alas, I doubt we'll see a decent software from a 3rd party or even Yamaha. Someone here said recently, 80% of the Genos owners just want to learn playing an arranger. I guess then 19% just want to sit and play and an obnoxious one percent are into the game of making their own sounds. But I feel even minorities have the right to speak up, haven't they?  :-*
Regards, Michael

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2020, 01:03:07 PM »
Yes of course they do and I in the past have enjoyed  creating sounds I wanted and still use.
  What gets me at times is that a member starts a thread about the keyboard and how things can be achieved and every one is popping in pushing this program or that program and it then turns in to a right fiasco and nothing  to do with the original question. Then it turns into how bad Yamaha are with nasty comments not constructive ones. To me this helps no one. If people feel so strongly about the workings of the keyboard they should do what most of us do over here and that is to speak to Yamaha service people who will notify Japan if they think the question is justified. Not keep going on about it on here which will do no good at all and put people off of asking questions here. I get many PM's from members who don't want to ask a question on here for fear of being thought silly or blinded with science they don't understand.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2020, 02:23:00 PM »
Hi Eileen
I am not bashing Yamaha Genos, It is great .
I think that the Yem program is not the best.
For the money Genos cost, the editing should be second to none.
Cubase takes care of bulk of things, but at extra cost of £400 or so,
Yamaha could also make a smaller Cubase style program dedicated to the Genos for the not so Computer minded.
I do play the Genos all the time, but also want to get down to deeper things and learn.
Your answer Eileen on contacting Yamaha is alright , but people have been asking for better edit and sound software for ages now.
I am prepared to pay for such improvements
After all it is called a Workstation 8)

Yes, we know the Montage has good editing programs at extra cost, but it does not have styles.
I reckon people would pay extra for decent sound editing softaware for the Genos and an easy Stylemaker.
Style making and editing is too long winded on the Genos and software is the best route.
Styles on the Genos are all song specific , meaning they are only good for Standard music that they think we all should like (Eg We will Rock you beat style meant for only one of Queens songs. That goes for a lot of various styles in different genre's)
There is still a lot of scope for Genos.
Do they really listen??
"How Do I Know"!! ;)
This is not a Yamaha bashing thread . It is a discussion and freedom of speech which people are entitled to their own views.
It is good to hear all good and bad comments, but not too much repetition.
 "To me water off a ducks back"!!! Even if i am one brick short of a building set!! ;D
" I think I am going slightly mad" "" I feel like a Banana!"" :P

All the best
JOHN :)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 03:05:54 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Bachus

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2020, 03:22:03 PM »
Yes of course they do and I in the past have enjoyed  creating sounds I wanted and still use.
  What gets me at times is that a member starts a thread about the keyboard and how things can be achieved and every one is popping in pushing this program or that program and it then turns in to a right fiasco and nothing  to do with the original question. Then it turns into how bad Yamaha are with nasty comments not constructive ones. To me this helps no one. If people feel so strongly about the workings of the keyboard they should do what most of us do over here and that is to speak to Yamaha service people who will notify Japan if they think the question is justified. Not keep going on about it on here which will do no good at all and put people off of asking questions here. I get many PM's from members who don't want to ask a question on here for fear of being thought silly or blinded with science they don't understand.

The thing is that in general Yamaha representatives stand open for questions regarding issues that prevent the Genos from working as intended...

.but far less for people that want features to work differently, or even entirely new features..

I think Yamaha could solve this by offering their own forum (as they do with Montage/modx CP series). Then those kind of discussions would have a place on the Yamaha forum, where Yamaha representative can answer them.. making this a far more friendly place..

If people don’t dare to ask questions on here, thats a bad thing. But i haven’t heared anyone expressing this here..  but then, i must admit, if people don’t care for posting questions here, they might also not dare to express their feelings here..

Maybe we could offer a sub forum here, to specifically discuss issues and wishes with the Genos?  And put up a forum Rule to not discuss this on the general and the other boards? 

Yet i still think the biggest change for the forums comes from having 1 forum for tyros 5 to having 10 forums for the Genos. Most qeustions regarding the Genos with specific questions about features, end up in the 9 sub boards... making the Genos general board seem to have much more discussions like the ones you hate..
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 03:25:28 PM by Bachus »

Pino

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2020, 03:29:26 PM »
I was just thinking the same way, why hasn’t Yamaha done more for the Yamaha arranger players.

Yamaha owns an iPad app.called MusicStudio, it’s a $15 app. It’s an excellent audio/midi sequencer, why haven’t they re-written this app for YAMAHA arranger keyboards so that we can record directly to iPad without the clunks and whistles that we get when we record into a DAW, and a chord track by the timeline where we could easily change the chord names and quantise the chord track, changing the chord name would edit the 6 tracks automatically. Then other tracks for R1 - R2 - R3 edits and extra tracks for multipads or what ever we need.

Yamaha could have done this years ago, so, what’s the problem with Yamaha,
I’m sure 1,000s of players around the world would benefit from this app to get their songs together, I know my 6 year old would be recording every night and uploading to Facebook and to her friends, isn’t this the future for Yamaha.?

Pino

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 05:37:53 PM by Pino »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2020, 04:17:25 PM »
This is a question you need to ask Yamaha about. Only they can answer it.
  I for one do think it was silly to have nine different boards for Genos and I think in the beginning we were told this was only temporary and after the first rush would go into just One board as all other keyboards have. I now think there should be just Two. One for members who just want keyboard advice on how to get the best out of there Genos and use what we have when playing and setting it up. Another board for those who want to add lots of accessories and different programs to put music together. There is a big difference between the two systems.
  I have to disagree that all Yamaha Styles are song specific. They are not and with style creator it is very easy to mix and match parts from different styles to create a style that suits you. It is also possible to groove the feel of this style. Don't forget that Genos is classed as an ARRANGER/Workstation not a workstation alone. You can arrange lots of things to your own use all on the keyboard and we must remember that many Members have there keyboards in different rooms from there computers or do not own I Pads. There enjoyment comes from just playing and producing some great music from the heart and you can't beat it.
  Is not this what we have in mind when we purchase these instruments to Keep Music Live.
I think this is a good reason to have a separate thread for all of us.

Bachus

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2020, 05:21:37 PM »
This is a question you need to ask Yamaha about. Only they can answer it.
  I for one do think it was silly to have nine different boards for Genos and I think in the beginning we were told this was only temporary and after the first rush would go into just One board as all other keyboards have. I now think there should be just Two. One for members who just want keyboard advice on how to get the best out of there Genos and use what we have when playing and setting it up. Another board for those who want to add lots of accessories and different programs to put music together. There is a big difference between the two systems.
  I have to disagree that all Yamaha Styles are song specific. They are not and with style creator it is very easy to mix and match parts from different styles to create a style that suits you. It is also possible to groove the feel of this style. Don't forget that Genos is classed as an ARRANGER/Workstation not a workstation alone. You can arrange lots of things to your own use all on the keyboard and we must remember that many Members have there keyboards in different rooms from there computers or do not own I Pads. There enjoyment comes from just playing and producing some great music from the heart and you can't beat it.
  Is not this what we have in mind when we purchase these instruments to Keep Music Live.
I think this is a good reason to have a separate thread for all of us.

So its up to the moderators and site owner to pick this up..
And set things in action..
I agree with you..
And only trough actions like this we can improve the forrum and make it a happy place for all 👍

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2020, 06:41:18 PM »
Hi
Pino is right
I think people have asked this question over and over, but nothing happens.
I do notice that  there is a lot of apps that should be made for PC or Mac but sadly not.
I  believe Audio phraser has had people asking for it to work properly for some time now.
The Montage has all the programs to go with it and it is a £1000 cheaper than Genos .
The Genos deserves it's own class software even if it cost a little.
I still think for a keyboard costing £4600 new should have the business.
Genos Workstation/ Arranger should have the software at that price.
I asked Yamaha a long time ago what about dedicated sofware, but the answer i got was Cubase..
Cubase does not edit sound and we need something on the Cubase lines for that.
Now EMC Styleworks  worked great on the Tyros 4 and all you had to do was put a midi file into EMC Styleworks and choose the bars and lengths for all parts of the style and save You then put that in the Tyros and do the bits for Casm and you were done.
The most simplest way i have seen, but unfortunately the maker did not update the program properly and now does not work.
Yamaha could make a program to make styles easily if they wanted to with the computing talent around today. Maybe they do not want to as that might stop the profit of selling packs. Maybe the same with sound editing.
I understand people want out of the box sounds and styles, but with the title of Workstation/Arranger it should also cater for the people who want to take total control of the keyboard.

All the best
john :)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 06:55:51 PM by ugawoga »

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2020, 06:43:11 PM »
I now think there should be just Two. One for members who just want keyboard advice on how to get the best out of there Genos and use what we have when playing and setting it up. Another board for those who want to add lots of accessories and different programs to put music together. There is a big difference between the two systems.

Frankly, I don't think this will work. Like you Eileen I'm following arranger forums since >20 years. If you create a how-to forum and the answer to a question is "you just can't do it" it is very likely that the next question is "what the heck even my 150$ insert-your-favourite-cheepness can do this". Then somebody may chime in, what some may consider as bashing.

Let's face it, those who actively participate here are (mostly) loyal long-time customers of Yamaha products (like me). This should not keep us from pointing out where Yamaha could do better.
Regards, Michael

Offline DerekA

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2020, 07:46:29 PM »
I get many PM's from members who don't want to ask a question on here for fear of being thought silly or blinded with science they don't understand.

That's sad to hear. Nobody knows everything. I think people should feel safe to ask anything they want.
Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2020, 10:30:54 PM »
I think with so much posting of these add on's etc. It confuses people so much that they do not always feel comfortable asking how to do certain things. This is a shame and that is why I think it would be good to have a board just for this with moderators making sure it is only used for this.

As for using programs to chop up parts of Midi files for backing styles why not Multi track these backings track by track. It is all do able on the keyboard its self. No special programs needed.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2020, 11:28:08 PM »
HANDS UP IF YOU ARE SILLY :P :P :P :P :P :P :-\

DO  NOT WORRY . I HAVE LIVED BY THE SWORD AND DIED BY THE SWORD!!

ALSO DUG GREAT BIG HOLES FOR MYSELF!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 11:30:48 PM by ugawoga »