Author Topic: Rearranged SX styles  (Read 9040 times)

Offline Enildo

Rearranged SX styles
« on: March 24, 2020, 12:40:23 AM »
Hello friends!

I don't know the opinion of the majority, but I didn't like the organization of SX styles in just 9 categories. I did not like the extinction of the Ballad and Country categories, I think these two categories are traditional, in the world of arranger keyboards and could not be extinguished. I added some folders based on Genos and others created according to my own experience, intuition and need.
Some categories I created folder 1 and folder 2, so that there are no more than 50 styles per folder, as it avoids the need to use the left and right arrows, which helps in the speed of the selection. One of the advantages I have is being able to organize my own organization as well as editing all styles to my liking. The styles were also in alphabetical order, which I liked a lot, as it facilitates localization.
I completed the collection with Genos styles, as well as the styles of the s970 / 75 lines, which are missing from the SX.

I hope you like the idea.
Enildo

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 12:45:35 AM by Enildo »
When word fail, Music speaks!

The following users thanked this post: stephenm52, Dave Shively, dacca, hans1966, Aquilauno, ton37

Offline Toril S

Re: Rearranged SX styles
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 12:43:05 AM »
Great idea :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: stephenm52

Offline Enildo

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 12:48:49 AM »
Thank you Toril! ;) ;) ;)

I also created my own folder of favorites, because as it happened, with the keyboard of two colleagues in the group, I am also afraid that it will happen with mine.
I expect a correction of this problem in the next Firmware.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 12:50:15 AM by Enildo »

Offline Telmo

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 12:52:48 AM »
I completed the collection with Genos styles, as well as the styles of the s970 / 75 lines, which are missing from the SX.

Brilliant idea Enildo, BUT, .... where can we get these folders with the missing styles that you mentioned??? It would be great if you could also upload the styles for us.
Yamaha PSR-SX-900, JBL EON ONE Linear-Array PA System.
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Telmo3190
"We are Old Too quick... and Wise too late."

Offline Enildo

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 01:12:05 AM »
Brilliant idea Enildo, BUT, .... where can we get these folders with the missing styles that you mentioned??? It would be great if you could also upload the styles for us.

Thanks Telmo

I added the Genos styles that Onacimus made available and also added the styles of the s970 / 75 that I had copied and have available on the PSR Tutorial website.
From now on I will not use the preset styles and will use the User folder. The 4gbs of SX memory helps a lot.
No my opinion was a delay for SX line. Genos has 15 categories for better organization. This mix of Country and Ballad styles, with R&B, Dance, Pop & Rock, etc., did not please me.

The following users thanked this post: JohnStarbuck

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 03:45:04 AM »
I only use preset styles, but agree with Enildo on the current location of styles.  It’s hard to remember where everything is hidden.  It took me forever to find Country Waltz, which is under World styles, which I rarely use.  For the longest, I thought that style had been eliminated from the SX900.

Offline ton37

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 05:58:31 AM »
Hi Enildo, thank you for sharing . I like the idea for bringing in some (own) logical organization for managing the amount of styles one xan have. I struggle also with finding suitable styles in a particular category. The organisation of Multipads is  a same problem. So your idea is hulpfull to get grip on organizing the data. I was thinking; how abuot the pack- styles, or if some category has more than 100 styles in it ( I guess the same procedure: fe Latin3, and or adding to favorites1 etc.). Just for my thinking ... thnx
My best regards,
Ton

Pino

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 06:39:39 AM »
After playing YAMAHA arrangers for over 10 years and knowing exactly where every style is kept it’s very frustration to have to get used to this ‘no logic’ folder system.

Just wondering
1.  Is there someone on this forum that has sorted the SX9 files out into folders as before
2.  Is there someone on this forum that has sorted the SX9 files and added the missing Genos styles into folders.

And can upload to PSRTut or Box or somewhere.

Or
Has someone made a list of SX styles that they have rearranged into Folders

Has someone made a list of SX styles and the missing Genos styles that they have rearranged into Folders.

Thanks in advance.

Pino

Offline Joe H

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 07:12:36 AM »
I like what you did Enildo. Thanks for sharing. It's strange that Yamaha eliminated some style-category buttons/folders.  I'm not sure I like the fact that the Multi Pad buttons and OTS buttons got switched around either.  But if I upgrade to a sx900 I'll have to get used to it.

Joe H
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 07:14:01 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline ton37

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 08:01:02 AM »
After playing YAMAHA arrangers for over 10 years and knowing exactly where every style is kept it’s very frustration to have to get used to this ‘no logic’ folder system.

Just wondering
1.  Is there someone on this forum that has sorted the SX9 files out into folders as before
2.  Is there someone on this forum that has sorted the SX9 files and added the missing Genos styles into folders.

And can upload to PSRTut or Box or somewhere.

Or
Has someone made a list of SX styles that they have rearranged into Folders

Has someone made a list of SX styles and the missing Genos styles that they have rearranged into Folders.

Thanks in advance.

Pino
Well, what is 'logical'? What to do with style names like: EuroPopMambo, ChristmasWaltz, AnnimBldRock, GreenFantasia, 60Underground, CntrJazzBld, SecretService and 1200 of similar names. And further .. a style name sometimes also differs from the underlying style. Not to mention the Multipadnames and/or voicenames...  Ehh. dear Yammies .. tricky matter though  ;)
My best regards,
Ton

Pino

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 08:33:12 AM »
Logical to me means saving the styles into folders similar to the S950 or S975
That should cover at least 90% of the styles.

Pino
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 08:35:41 AM by Pino »

Offline Enildo

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 01:55:41 PM »
Thank you all for the positive comments.

Tom, some styles can fall into one category or another. In the examples you cited, I would classify as follows:
* EuroPopMambo - Latin or Dance
* ChristmasWaltz - Movie & Show
* AnnimBldRock - I didn't find it in my files
* GreenFantasia - Movie & Show
* 60Underground - Oldies
* CntrJazzBld - I didn't find it in my files
* SecretService - Movie & Show or Ballad

When in doubt, you will use your intuition based on the country, or the origin of the artist or band, or the time, or what the style appears to be.
The important thing is that you will find the style in folder X or folder Y, because there is a logic, it is in one place or another.
What does not seem reasonable, is a style 8BeatAdria and Easy8beat is in the Jazz folder, 70sGlamPaino and 70s8BeatBallad in the Dance folder and several Ballads in the Pop & Rock category.

Enildo

The following users thanked this post: ton37

Offline Enildo

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2020, 02:09:52 PM »
Hello everybody!

In line with Telmo's request, I'm making the link available to anyone who wants to download and use the styles in this way. I added the Genos and S970 / 75 styles that are missing from the SX and I liked to use them. If you don't agree with anything, simply drag the styles to any of the folders. If you want to reduce or add another folder feel free.
I worked for several weeks, but as everything we always need to improve things. Share your experience on the forum and help us improve this work.

Attention: I edited several styles (most of them change drums and volumes), mainly those in the categories Pop & Rock, Ballad, Movie & Show, Country and others. If you do not agree with the edits simply change to a preset style.
Edited styles have a "." (period) at the end of the name, to differentiate.

Enjoy!

Enildo
Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Jzz_HqBJSKhcNQxyWIWfeB2L8GImf2X4

Offline DerekA

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2020, 04:01:49 PM »
Don't forget the Search function can help you find styles. I use it all the time :)

Offline Enildo

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2020, 05:11:52 PM »
Don't forget the Search function can help you find styles. I use it all the time :)

Yes Derek, that is true.
However, we do not always remember the name of the style for sure and we have to look in the folder.

Offline hans1966

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2020, 05:14:14 PM »
Hi Enildo, thanks for sharing your effort with us. I have a small drawback and that is that WinRar won't let me unzip the file until I buy the license. Is there a way to do it? Thanks in advance. Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2020, 05:24:36 PM »
Hi Enildo,
great idea, but above all, a great job ... I can't wait to be able to use them again;)
Pietro

Offline Enildo

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2020, 05:45:20 PM »
Hi Enildo, thanks for sharing your effort with us. I have a small drawback and that is that WinRar won't let me unzip the file until I buy the license. Is there a way to do it? Thanks in advance. Hans

Hola Hans!

Try it that way. It is a compression of Windows itself (zip).

Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SZQU8CS9aRFS43fie-UNjbI1-S4FxfG_
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 05:50:37 PM by Enildo »

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK, hans1966, daleSP

Offline hans1966

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2020, 06:07:05 PM »
Hi Enildo, thank you very much, this last one worked for me. A hug my friend

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2020, 06:35:45 PM »
Well, what is 'logical'?

'logical' is alphabetical order.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: JohnStarbuck

Offline Telmo

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2020, 07:39:23 PM »
Hello everybody!

In line with Telmo's request, I'm making the link available to anyone who wants to download and use the styles in this way. I added the Genos and S970 / 75 styles that are missing from the SX and I liked to use them. If you don't agree with anything, simply drag the styles to any of the folders. If you want to reduce or add another folder feel free.
I worked for several weeks, but as everything we always need to improve things. Share your experience on the forum and help us improve this work.

Attention: I edited several styles (most of them change drums and volumes), mainly those in the categories Pop & Rock, Ballad, Movie & Show, Country and others. If you do not agree with the edits simply change to a preset style.
Edited styles have a "." (period) at the end of the name, to differentiate.

Enjoy!

Enildo
Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Jzz_HqBJSKhcNQxyWIWfeB2L8GImf2X4

THANKS A LOT ENILDO.
Yamaha PSR-SX-900, JBL EON ONE Linear-Array PA System.
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Telmo3190
"We are Old Too quick... and Wise too late."

Offline ton37

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2020, 08:14:33 PM »
Hello Enildo, very generous that you share your work with us. I appreciate and, if one likes the idea, it is a great starting point for everyone's own collection.
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Enildo

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2020, 08:56:52 PM »
Hello Enildo, very generous that you share your work with us. I appreciate and, if one likes the idea, it is a great starting point for everyone's own collection.

Thanks Tom. There is certainly a lot that can be added and improved.

Enildo

Offline Patrick

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2020, 09:51:42 PM »
Hi Enildo, thank you and have a nice day, cheers Patrick
 :)

Offline Toril S

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2020, 10:35:13 PM »
Thank you very much Enildo! I don't have the XS yet, but will install this the moment I get one :)
 :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline rgw

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2020, 12:05:36 AM »
Hi Enildo,

Thank you very much for sharing your hard work.

Best wishes,
Richard.

Offline Enildo

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2020, 01:10:23 AM »
Thank you Patrick, Toril and Richard!
I'm really glad you liked it!

Enildo

The following users thanked this post: stephenm52, poinsot

borge

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2020, 09:41:40 AM »
Thank you Enildo for sharing your work.

I have installed it on my SX and I think I will use it
for the STYLES I like.

Thanks again!

Offline ikmusic

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2020, 09:17:06 PM »
Thank you.  8)
Obecnie PSR-SX900 + Roland Ra95. Wcześniej były:
Yamaha: Tyros 5/4/3/2 S970 S770 S750 S710 S670 PSR1500 E413 W7v2 V50
Roland: BK9 BK7m BK5 G800 E35 E70 E50 U20 Ra90 JV50 Mc500
Korg: Pa4x Pa1000 01Wfd
Ketron: SD5

Offline panos

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2020, 10:19:39 PM »

Hi Hans,
Actually there is no need to buy any kind of program to do something on Windows for home usage.
There are always free programs that can do the same job and many times are even easier to use.
When a window asks you if you want to buy the program, you just close it and continue to do your job.
https://www.7-zip.org/download.html

Download on of these two, for unzipping files:

Download    .exe    32-bit x86    7-Zip for 32-bit Windows
Download    .exe    64-bit x64    7-Zip for 64-bit Windows x64 (Intel 64 or AMD64)

32-bit versions of programs are for ten years old computers
64-bit versions of programs are for newer computers
Latest computers don't need a program to unzip files on windows.

Offline hans1966

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2020, 10:24:21 PM »
Hello Panos, thank you very much for the information. Cheers. Hans

RagJose

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2020, 02:54:43 AM »
I don't know the opinion of the majority, but I didn't like the organization of SX styles in just 9 categories. I did not like the extinction of the Ballad and Country categories, I think these two categories are traditional, in the world of arranger keyboards and could not be extinguished. I added some folders based on Genos and others created according to my own experience, intuition and need.

Boa noite, Enildo!

I joined this forum a few days ago, although having visited it several times in the past.  I used to participate at Yahoo's psr-styles-group, which went south after Yahoo ceased their forum support. 

I got me an SX900 late last year and I'm sure you have a lot of company in disliking the SX styles organization.  In my introductory post I mentioned my annoyance with this drawback.

To overcome it, I also spent several weeks trying to classify the internal styles into meaningful categories.  However, I used a different approach, defining categories related to the time signature and primary feel of the styles, and putting the results into a spreadsheet to be sorted and filtered at will.  This way, however cryptic or misleading a Style name can be and whatever context it comes from, it can be found easily by its "nature" rather than by name.  "ChristmasWaltz", for instance, for me is under 3Beat, "SecretService" under 8Beat, "YoungFox" under Dance, "HelloShuffle" is 12Beat and so on.  I'm attaching here again the spreadsheet I constructed, for illustration and possible discussion, with you or anyone who cares to.

You went a step further, in actually copying your organized styles into User folders.  Bright idea!  I shall think of combining my approach with yours, so I wouldn't need to consult the spreadsheet when looking for a style.  A shortcoming of User styles on is not having their default Tempo displayed onscreen, though.  Sometimes that info is useful.

Abraço -- José

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline rene

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2020, 09:09:18 AM »
bonjour enildo,
thanks for your work ,  I don't like too the new organization of SX styles ( for ex. tijuana in jazz category )
it was easier and more logical to find a style on the precedents models
rene ,france

Offline Enildo

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2020, 11:36:18 AM »
bonjour enildo,
thanks for your work ,  I don't like too the new organization of SX styles ( for ex. tijuana in jazz category )
rene ,france

Bonjour René, comment vas-tu?

Thanks for the compliment, I hope yamaha will fix this in the next model, or introduce a new way of organizing styles.

Au revoir!

Offline EileenL

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2020, 11:43:30 AM »
If looking for a certain style the search function works well and saves a lot of time searching.

Offline Enildo

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2020, 12:45:56 PM »
If looking for a certain style the search function works well and saves a lot of time searching.
It really works well Eileen, but when we want, for example, to try some ballads, to see which one fits better with a certain song, this is where the problem appears.

Enildo

Offline rene

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2020, 01:07:36 PM »
i agree with enildo , search fonction is usefull when you know the style you' re looking for.

blackpool

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2020, 01:30:00 PM »
Thats why I like 'song styles'  I can then search by 'song title' and also 'style type' ( well if I know the genre ) and get all the results to audition, pick out what I want tweak, then just resave into my registration.
I really enjoy checking out the results. I have thousands of song titles in several folders copied to user. They dont take up much space.
 And a good trick i use ...
if i'm struggling with knowing what the best genre is ...
I also search in registration screen, as I have my faithful 1000's of MF conversions in there.
This gives you the style title, which helps if your not sure about the style to match a song name
You can then go with that style title back to search this within the style screen so you never miss other options for the same song.

It works for me and its easy

Keith
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 01:33:47 PM by blackpool »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2020, 02:15:23 PM »
bonjour enildo,
rene ,france

I’ve never found it easy to find a style on any model keyboard. But, the saving grace of the Genos and SX models is the search function.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline EileenL

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2020, 03:07:59 PM »
I think it does pay to go through the styles from time to time and just listen to them. A lot of the time they will suggest a song to you then just make a note of the style and the section it is in and the song title.
After a while you will get used to where the styles are.

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2020, 02:23:54 AM »
I enjoy finding and trying-out styles for standard tunes that are somewhat unique and different.  I’ve started doing Misty with a bluegrass style, having seen Ray Stevens performance recently.